x86_64 Linux and PowerPC Linux binary downloads

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

stmiller
Novice

x86_64 Linux and PowerPC Linux binary downloads

Post by stmiller »

Hi all:
How about x86_64 Linux and PowerPC Linux binaries on the download page?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Surely you don't need both?

x86 64 is here: http://download.m0k.org/handbrake/testi ... _64.tar.gz

I don't know why it's not in the rotation script. Was a PPC binary provided last time? I don't remember it being available then, so don't hold your breath :)
Last edited by hawkman on Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Since were talking about 64Bit - can I expect a speed improvement on HandBrake cli if I'd use a 64Bit-Version. I know that usually 64Bit doesn't improve stuff a lot, if at all but I'm wondering if video encoding might be different.
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

I have a 10FPS avg improvement with a compiled 64bit binary vs. the 32bit binary encoding with h.264.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

:o

Is anybody going to provide x86-64 builds for Mac OS X Tiger?
stmiller
Novice

Post by stmiller »

realityking wrote::o

Tiger is not 100% 64bit, but Leopard will be 64bit top to bottom. I'm sure it will be possible to compile HB under Leopard to be 10.5 64bit specific when Leopard comes out.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

stmiller wrote:
realityking wrote::o

Tiger is not 100% 64bit, but Leopard will be 64bit top to bottom.
I know, however the unix layer is 64Bit, so it actually should be possible to compile a 64Bit version of the HandBrake cli.
saintdev
Enlightened

Post by saintdev »

hawkman wrote:Surely you don't need both?

x86 64 is here: http://SCRUBBED/hb/HandBrake-0.9.0_x86_64.tar.gz

I don't know why it's not in the rotation script. Was a PPC binary provided last time? I don't remember it being available then, so don't hold your breath :)
sr55 was having problems with the redirect script not liking the filename of the 64-bit builds. Officially the link should be:

http://download.m0k.org/handbrake/testi ... _64.tar.gz

until we get the rotation script fixed.
hki

Post by hki »

I was having some trouble compiling 0.9.1 version of handbrake on 64 bit ubuntu gutsy gibbon.

The line that was giving me trouble was:

Code: Select all

g++  -o HandBrakeCLI  test/test.o test/parsecsv.o libhb/libhb.a contrib/lib/liba52.a contrib/lib/libavformat.a contrib/lib/libavcodec.a contrib/lib/libavutil.a contrib/lib/libdca.a contrib/lib/libdvdread.a contrib/lib/libmp4v2.a contrib/lib/libfaac.a contrib/lib/libmp3lame.a contrib/lib/libmpeg2.a contrib/lib/libvorbis.a contrib/lib/libvorbisenc.a contrib/lib/libogg.a contrib/lib/libsamplerate.a contrib/lib/libx264.a contrib/lib/libxvidcore.a contrib/lib/libmkv.a contrib/lib/libswscale.a contrib/lib/libdvdcss.a -lz -lpthread
I omitted the "-lz" from the command and it compiled fine.

g++  -o HandBrakeCLI  test/test.o test/parsecsv.o libhb/libhb.a contrib/lib/liba52.a contrib/lib/libavformat.a contrib/lib/libavcodec.a contrib/lib/libavutil.a contrib/lib/libdca.a contrib/lib/libdvdread.a contrib/lib/libmp4v2.a contrib/lib/libfaac.a contrib/lib/libmp3lame.a contrib/lib/libmpeg2.a contrib/lib/libvorbis.a contrib/lib/libvorbisenc.a contrib/lib/libogg.a contrib/lib/libsamplerate.a contrib/lib/libx264.a contrib/lib/libxvidcore.a contrib/lib/libmkv.a contrib/lib/libswscale.a contrib/lib/libdvdcss.a -lpthread
The offending line seems to be in file config.jam

LINKLIBS = -lz -lpthread ;
I hope this does not harm the functionality of the program in any way though. I have not tried the compiled program yet, but at least it was able to display version correctly.

Cheers :idea:

hki

PS. as it is my first post on the forum I would like to thank the developers for the amazing program :D
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Perhaps you'd like to install the developer zlib libraries? There is no "offending" line, you simply don't have all the required parts installed on your OS.

Rodney
hki

Post by hki »

rhester wrote:Perhaps you'd like to install the developer zlib libraries? There is no "offending" line, you simply don't have all the required parts installed on your OS.

Rodney
Thanks for pointing that out. Indeed I was missing the following package zlib1g-dev. When compiled without it handbrake did not use SSE2. The difference in speed was huge of course.

It was the first time that I actually compiled something...

Thanks again. It is great that someone actually knows this stuff :D

hki