B Frame Support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

MySchizoBuddy

B Frame Support

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

Is B frame enabled for x264. If not that a checkbox for it would be good.
Quicktime can decode 1 BFrame
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: B Frame Support

Post by jbrjake »

MySchizoBuddy wrote:Is B frame enabled for x264. If not that a checkbox for it would be good.
Quicktime can decode 1 BFrame
No, right now MediaFork uses zero b-frames. But don't despair.

I've got b-frame support for x264 in a .mp4 working in the latest source code. It will be in the next beta release.

There's not going to be a graphic widget for it yet, though, and it won't be on by default. You're going to have to go type "b-frames=1" into a text box in the preferences, where you'll also be able to set any other x264 options you might want, though most of those won't work in QuickTime.
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

that sounds good. once @TV is out we might/ or not need more x264 options.

It would be nice to have predefined options in a drop down menu.
just like Virtualhub does u can either pick the command from the menu or enter ur own, so u don't have to remember them.

If u select best Possible H.264 settings it automatically enters "-refs 5 -me umh -subq 6 -me_range 21 -me_threshold 6 -i_qfactor 0.71428572" as a parameter. which u can edit urself as well.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

MySchizoBuddy wrote:It would be nice to have predefined options in a drop down menu.
Yes, presets are coming soon. They won't be a drop-down menu, though (more likely a drawer on the side).

You'll have a whole slew of possibilities for x264, based on Sharktooth's profiles for MeGUI. So you'll click "HQ-Insane" and these settings will be applied:

Code: Select all

bframes=3:no-dct-decimate=1:no-fast-pskip=1
:mixed-refs=1:trellis=2:ref=16:filter=-2,-1
:subme=6:qpstep=4:direct=auto:vbv-bufsize=1
:vbv-maxrate=25000:me=umh:b-bias=0
:weightb=1:b-pyramid=1:b-rdo=1:bime=1
:analyse=all:8x8dct=1
And, of course, you'll be able to make your own.

BTW, are those x264 options you listed your personal favorites? I'll have to test them out...I'm trying to build a list of useful options strings at the moment.
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

those are from visualHub software
they have a couple of preset for ffmpeg parameters

Best H.264
-refs 5 -me umh -subq 6 -me_range 21 -me_threshold 6 -i_qfactor 0.71428572

Best H.264 for Animation
-refs 5 -me umh -subq 6 -me_range 21 -me_threshold 6 -i_qfactor 0.71428572 -deblockalpha 1 -deblockbeta 1

Best Possible MPEG4
-mbd 2 -flags +4mv+trell -aic 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2

there are others that start from certain frames or encode only certain number of frames

MeGUI is a good starting point, so is VisualHub
Developers of Visualhub have already a beta out for testing for @TV. they have setup a set of profiles to test which one works for @TV
mealexforum

What is "Import MeGUI profiles"?

Post by mealexforum »

Just explain please what MeGUI profiles is!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: What is "Import MeGUI profiles"?

Post by jbrjake »

mealexforum wrote:Just explain please what MeGUI profiles is!
MeGUI is an open source graphical user interface for a video encoding tool, mencoder. It is only available on Windows.

A very knowledgeable man who goes online by "Sharktooth" has created profiles for MeGUI. These are designed to get the best possible quality out of x264. MeGUI has profiles for different settings like:

iPod high quality vs. iPod power-efficient
different quality settings for anime
different settings for high quality single pass rips
ditto for 2-pass encodes
ones that will look like xvid
ones designed for the X-box
one to get the most out of QuickTime
others that exactly mirror the official x264 profiles

There are 23 in total. I'm not going to implement them all, just specific ones. Or just provide a script so people can do it themselves, and use other profiles than the official MeGUI ones.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to use the Sharktooth profiles as gospel. I can very easily use the iPod 5.5G profile to create content that will not work on an iPod.

Rodney
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

rhester wrote:I wouldn't necessarily be so quick to use the Sharktooth profiles as gospel.
I'm not. I'm testing all of them and judging how well they play in QT, VLC, and MPlayer. And for the iPod ones, I can't test myself, but I've been planning to use dynaflash as the guinea pig. No plans on my part to shove these things into HandBrake whole without checking compatibility. =)