Handbrake should hands down support Lagarith.

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

cosmingurau

Handbrake should hands down support Lagarith.

Post by cosmingurau »

Handbrake prides itself on being a great h.264 FREE encoder. And it is. My only problem with it is that it doesn't support external codecs. Okay, maybe that has something to do with its inner workings. But they should definitely include as an internal codec the rather excellent and FREE Lagarith Lossless Codec.

Handbrake currently supports Huffyuv Lossless Codec, which I'm sorry to say, is clearly inferior. Just today I did the same render with both codecs. Remember, both are absolutely lossless.

Huffyuv: 55 seconds render time, file size 1.50 GB. Lagarith: 45 seconds render time, file size 761 MB. :shock:

I always render to Lagarith, and so do a lot of people. It's for me the only way to have a clean, lossless copy of my work archived. And each time I have to make a lossy version, most usually a h.264, I have to use VirtualDub to transcode the Lagarith file to almost lossless Xvid, and THEN transcode that with Handbrake to h.264. My hard drive space and time aren't infinite. Not to mention it's ANNOYING as hell.

So, what I propose, is to include Lagarith, who is growing in popularity, as an internal codec, Handbrake would benefit from that greatly. The author, Ben Greenwood is a nice guy and would surely help you guys achieve that, if necesary. Not to menton VLC has included it somewhat recently.

Please.

And another thing. Could you guys bring back the "Target Size" option? It was really useful.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Handbrake should hands down support Lagarith.

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

There's already a Lagarith decoder in HandBrake. It should be a bit improved in the nightly builds (support for additional features without which some Lagarith files would be non-decodeable).
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

cosmingurau wrote:Handbrake prides itself on being a great h.264 FREE encoder. And it is. My only problem with it is that it doesn't support external codecs. Okay, maybe that has something to do with its inner workings. But they should definitely include as an internal codec the rather excellent and FREE Lagarith Lossless Codec.

And another thing. Could you guys bring back the "Target Size" option? It was really useful.
1) Lagarith is already supported.

2) Target Size will not be implemented.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

Three target file size requests in a week. If only the people making that request would search and see why it was removed...

SC
cosmingurau

Post by cosmingurau »

Okay, why was it removed in the first place? I'm too lazy to search, i guess.... :(
GregiBoy
Veteran User

Post by GregiBoy »

Well, if you are too lazy, you won't know then!!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

cosmingurau wrote:Okay, why was it removed in the first place? I'm too lazy to search, i guess.... :(
It had some minor bugs, and more importantly, HandBrake is all about VBR (for audio as well, whenever possible) - if we don't know the size of the audio track(s) before the encode, we're bound to over- or under-shoot the target.