Forced and not-forced subs

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Thalyn

Forced and not-forced subs

Post by Thalyn »

Having recently been through my entire movie collection turning it into x264-based video using Handbrake (well, Vidcoder - but it's just a GUI for Handbrake), I've found a strange feature that I'd like to see added to eliminate a few steps in my workflow. Namely, the ability to choose both forced and not-forced subtitles on the same track independent of each other.

Take, for example, the movies Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer. The movies themselves are originally in Chinese (Cantonese, I believe), but they features English subtitle and audio options. For movies like that, I've encoded with both the English and Chinese audio options in case I want a more "pure" experience, along with the English subtitles. Thing is, I don't speak a word of Cantonese beyond "yan" so I depend on the forced subtitles 100% of the time for things like signs and letters regardless of what audio language I'm using.

What I've done for those movies and other similar ones is extract it using a program such as PgcDemux, separate the English subtitles into two files using BDSup2Sub - one containing just the forced subs, one containing the remainder - and recombine it all back into a DVD using ReJig. I then pass it through Handbrake instructing it to use the track which features only the forced subs to be burned in, while the other track is simply added normally so it can be manually dis-/en-abled in the player.

Now, I'm aware that I could add the same sub track in twice, setting one to have forced-only lines burned in and the other set normal, but that just seems redundant to have the forced titles both displaying normally and on the underlying track. Plus I also crop off the letterboxing to make the final output more display independent, which can lead to the forced subtitles being displayed twice concurrently depending upon the player and display in use - and that just looks poor.

Forced and not-Forced subtitles checkboxes: Is there a chance for such a feature to be added?