Opus audio codec support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Przemek_S

Opus audio codec support

Post by Przemek_S »

I would like to ask if there are any plans for the support of Opus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)
http://www.opus-codec.org/

The codec seems to be a good replacement for so-so open AAC implementations (to call a spade a spade, not so much better that LAME mp3), moreover, there is room for improvement of the codec.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Opus audio codec support

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Przemek_S wrote:The codec seems to be a good replacement for so-so open AAC implementations (to call a spade a spade, not so much better that LAME mp3)
At "normal" bitrates (say, 160 Kbps), with most sources, Lame MP3 will outperform GPL-compatible AAC encoders. So will libvorbis, BTW.

As soon as Opus can be put inside an MKV file in an officially-sanctioned way, I'll work on adding encoding support to HandBrake. However, I have no interest in adding an Ogg muxer just for Opus.

As for decoding, I'll start looking into it after the next Libav bump.
monarc

Post by monarc »

Any progress?

I can use libopus + mkv with ffmpeg without problems. Mkvmerge supports opus too.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Nope. It's not being worked on and there is an awful lot of stuff that sitting in front of it in the list.

We have the FDK aac encoder support now which also does HE-AAC. On mac side there is Apples (HE-)AAC encoder so the benefits are not that large anymore.
There also hasn't been any real demand for it, so it's really not a priority
TheConverter

Post by TheConverter »

s55 wrote:Nope. It's not being worked on and there is an awful lot of stuff that sitting in front of it in the list.

We have the FDK aac encoder support now which also does HE-AAC. On mac side there is Apples (HE-)AAC encoder so the benefits are not that large anymore.
There also hasn't been any real demand for it, so it's really not a priority
Ok, that's clear. However, to show there is demand, I vote for this feature too :-).
In my opinion, this is the best converter available on all bitrates, supports 5.1 and is (as far as I know) royalty free and open source.

Until it hits Handbrake, I'll be happy to use the current ffmpeg AAC option.
Marsu42

Post by Marsu42 »

TheConverter wrote:However, to show there is demand, I vote for this feature too :-).
+1, I'd also like to add some real demand here :-)

I agree that with fdk-aac Handbrake is now great even on Windows, but imho once x265 evolves adding opus as the next-gen codec combination would be great. I gather what I usually encode (the well-known documentaries with speech and some intermediary music) could benefit vs. x264+aac, though of course the video stream takes the largest space chunk.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18881 wrote:If a request already exists, you do not need to "+1" it. Features included in HandBrake are driven by developer interest and not user demand.
Sarreq Teryx

Post by Sarreq Teryx »

+1

If there's a +1 button somewhere, I'm failing to see it
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

s55 wrote:
https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18881 wrote:If a request already exists, you do not need to "+1" it. Features included in HandBrake are driven by developer interest and not user demand.