E-mail notification whenever a new version of HB is released

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Leo
Bright Spark User

E-mail notification whenever a new version of HB is released

Post by Leo »

I think it would be great if I (and probably many others) could be notified by e-mail whenever a new version of handbrake is released.

I keep checking every few days. At the moment I am holding off encoding interlaced content in aticipation of better deinterlacing in the next one!

### You (developers) could easily do this by having a limited access forum thread that we could all automatically "watch", and all you'd have to do is post whenever (and only whenever) a new version is released, and we'd all get auto-notified.

Also, when signing up for a forum account, it would be good to have a checkbox for "Automatically e-mail me whenever a new version is released"

Thanks!
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Just subscribe to the RSS feed of the blog.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Also, if the last general release was any indication, you'll see stories about the release on Digg, practically every Mac blog out there, and they'll be talking about it in podcasts. I'm sure you'll see the announcement somewhere! :D
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Err...HandBrake does have a built-in update checking system, you know. It will alert you when the next version is released.

And anyone who cares can subscribe to blog feed.

If you want to know exactly when a release comes out, subscribe to the Trac feed for the revision log of the tags directory: http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/log/tags? ... format=rss

A release technically comes out when it gets tagged, although download might not be available for several hours after.
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

Err...HandBrake does have a built-in update checking system, you know. It will alert you when the next version is released.
doubt it. I use the command line version (does that check?), and I have no internet access at home, where I do my encoding. No phone line available. Half my friends don't either -- it's not uncommon in the UK!
And anyone who cares can subscribe to blog feed.
What is that, and how, and will I get alerted about other things? And will it e-mail me?
If you want to know exactly when a release comes out, subscribe to the Trac feed for the revision log of the tags directory: http://handbrake.m0k.org/trac/log/tags? ... format=rss
When I click that I get nowhere. Again what & how?
Also, if the last general release was any indication, you'll see stories about the release on Digg, practically every Mac blog out there, and they'll be talking about it in podcasts. I'm sure you'll see the announcement somewhere!
PC user; never use Digg; never use podcasts (no internet access at home, or user space or user account at work).
Just subscribe to the RSS feed of the blog.
I don't have an RSS thing and don't want to have to run one every time I connect just to see if there is a new release of handbrake.

I mean, really, a mailing list is so easy and effective it surprises me that it isn't used already!

So is there actually a way of me getting e-mailed only if and when a new version is released?

ta.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

um, leo, you were just given four ways to find out if there is a new release. I seriously doubt we will have an email list to notify people. Honestly, unless you are never online (which I know you are because your on these forums) you are going to know within a day when a new HB is released.
eddyg
Veteran User

Post by eddyg »

Leo wrote: No phone line available. Half my friends don't either -- it's not uncommon in the UK!
The only place I can think of in the UK where someone and half of their friends don't have access to a phone line is in prison or psychiatric hospital ;)

Maybe you need to move (or get released) and get with the current century.

Cheers, Ed.
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Leo wrote:No phone line available. Half my friends don't either -- it's not uncommon in the UK!
Dude, shhh, you're making us sound like barbarians :wink:
Leo
Bright Spark User

Post by Leo »

heheh; there are plenty of phone lines around me; I'm just saving 1000s of pounds this year by living in crummy accommodation included in my salary. The phone in my room goes through a switchboard so can't do internet... at least not easily, if possible it would probably be very slow dialup.

Plenty of my friends are students or recently ex-students. Out of the four flats we used to stay in in the city centre only one had a connected phone line. It costs £120 (over $200 US) a year in the UK to just to have a phone connected and then the calls aren't cheap anyway. Broadband internet then costs £20/$40 a month on top of that... so it would be $700 for a year.
Dude, shhh, you're making us sound like barbarians
we are... <bonk> <grunt> yargh. lol, I think Brits are just a bit less obsessed with the internet actually.