x264 Presets, Tunes, Profiles on HandbrakeGUI

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

ios
Enlightened

x264 Presets, Tunes, Profiles on HandbrakeGUI

Post by ios »

i think i read sometime ago but long long time ago
that x264 Presets, Tunes, Profiles options will be implemented on Handbrake
and HandbrakeCLI has this already but are their plans on adding this feature
to HandbrakeGUI too?

Dark Shikari the lead developer of x264 is strictly recommending non-x264 developers
to use x264 Presets, here are references about his call

Code: Select all

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1583580&postcount=67
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3125075&postcount=9
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3125675&postcount=12
wish HandbrakeGUI implement the x264 Presets, Tunes, Profiles too

thanks for your continuing development of this software btw :)
Deleted User 11865

Re: x264 Presets, Tunes, Profiles on HandbrakeGUI

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Eventually, but not right away.
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

Hello,

just registered here to ask the same question as the OP, so just asking here instead of creating a new thread:

When will the HandBrake GUI finally support x264 presets/tunes/profiles/etc.?

Just came across the following page while searching via search engine:

https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/280/

And apparently there are screenshots which show presets/tunes/profiles/etc. being implemented in HandBrake GUI, see:

https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/280/s/20/

And those apparently even have been posted before "Rodeo" wrote this:
Rodeo wrote:Eventually, but not right away.
So why do you write "eventually" if there apparently are already screenshots showing this being implemented?

Could you please elaborate what the status of this is?

And could you please explain why only the Mac GUI is mentioned and shown there and not the Windows GUI and Linux GUI?

Thank you very much in advance.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Eventually means -> It's something we'll add, but it's not a priority right now. It's something folks are playing with on and off.

What you see there, is not not a finished patch, just some initial ideas. It will make it into all 3 platforms but that's up to different people to implement.

There is no real timeframe for this, just as-when people feel like working on it.
Deleted User 11865

I developed that patch for personal use, and since it worked, I decided to submit it for review. But because it works doesn't mean it's ready for inclusion.
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

Thank you very much for your fast replies.
s55 wrote:but it's not a priority right now.
Could you possibly elaborate why not?

Because that feature would be very much appreciated.
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

Hello :? ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Features are driven by developer interest. It's really that simple.

Since most of the developers are familiar with x264's advanced options, and there is plenty of other fun things to work on, it just hasn't gotten the interest to push it forward at a faster pace.
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

Thanks for your reply.

Although what you replied is quite unfortunate :wink: , as this feature would be very much appreciated.

And another question:

Could you explain the logic of the following sentence:
Rodeo wrote:But because it works doesn't mean it's ready for inclusion.
?

:? :D :wink:

If it works, why can't it be included? What else is needed :wink: ?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

To put simply, It's a prototype. You rush things, and you end up digging yourself into a hole. In the development world, that means you end up with pile of junk on your hands.

Be patient.

Just as a single example, that patch completely breaks all the existing the advanced controls that many people use. This is something that will be discussed at length no doubt, but other things are being worked on right now.
Deleted User 11865

s55 wrote:Just as a single example, that patch completely breaks all the existing the advanced controls that many people use. This is something that will be discussed at length no doubt, but other things are being worked on right now.
It doesn't break anything - it just removes the widgets.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Poor choice of words :P
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

s55 wrote:the existing advanced controls that many people use.
Maybe some people would prefer not having to use them and would like to be able to use presets/tunes/profiles/etc. instead?

Didn't you read what "ios" wrote in the first post:
ios wrote:Dark Shikari the lead developer of x264 is strictly recommending non-x264 developers
to use x264 Presets, here are references about his call

http://forum.doom9.org/showpost.php?p=1583580&postcount=67
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3125075&postcount=9
http://forums.animesuki.com/showpost.php?p=3125675&postcount=12
?

To quote what he is talking about:
Dark Shikari wrote:http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread. ... ost3125675
Hinoe wrote:
Dark Shikari wrote:
Hinoe wrote:"what x264 settings you should REALLY avoid and why"
"Anything other than CRF, preset, and tune". See, that was easy.
lol.

Come on, I'm serious. There are so many changeable settings for a reason, right? ......right?
Yes, for the developers to test with. Don't touch anything else, or I'll do what Theora did and remove them permanently so that people will stop messing with them.
:wink:

So why are you so fond of holding on to those "advanced controls", even though "Dark Shikari" apparently wrote that they are not really supposed to be used (by users) (see quote above)?

Don't take this as an offense, but somehow it's a bit baffling to read how you apparently describe this as a low priority feature :wink: .
Rodeo wrote:It doesn't break anything
Then why don't you start to at least include it in the nightly HandBrake GUI builds?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

This isn't up for debate. You don't get to decide what I or anyone else works on.

I'll get checked in, when the relevant people decide it's ready to be checked in. Not before.
Smithcraft
Veteran User

Post by Smithcraft »

You can always take up development, and help out the Handbrake developers to add features that you want. I suspect that will go slightly quicker than telling the Handbrake developers what to do.

SC
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

I'm bewildered and confused by ios and uy195036. If you want the presets, tunes and so on, why don't you just make your own preset in HandBrake that follows the official presets?

Why does this thread even exist???
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

s55 wrote:This isn't up for debate. You don't get to decide what I or anyone else works on.
Smithcraft wrote:You can always take up development, and help out the Handbrake developers to add features that you want. I suspect that will go slightly quicker than telling the Handbrake developers what to do.
What debate? And where did anyone told anyone what to work on / what to do? The posts were entirly made up of just questions, in case you didn't notice the question marks :roll: .

And by the way: what "work"?

Isn't the "work" already done?

"Rodeo" apparently already made that patch and he posted that it would work...
randomreuben wrote:I'm bewildered and confused by ios and uy195036. If you want the presets, tunes and so on, why don't you just make your own preset in HandBrake that follows the official presets?
That apparently is not entirely correct.

Well, actually there might be the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426

BUT, that apparently is not exactly the same as using x264 presets.

Just an example:

With HandBrake GUI, you always have to manually specify the number of reference frames to replicate some x264 presets.

But if you do just that, the level switch for example often does not entirely work, because (especially see the highlited (bolded/italic) part):
mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings#level wrote:
http://mewiki.project357.com/wiki/X264_Settings#level

[...]

If you do not specify --level on the commandline, x264 will attempt to autodetect the level. This detection is not perfect and may underestimate the level if you are not using VBV. x264 will also automatically limit the DPB size (see --ref) to remain in compliance with the level you select (unless you also manually specify --ref). Note: specifying the level does not automatically set the --vbv-maxrate or --vbv-bufsize, however it will warn if the level specific properties are exceeded.

[...]
So, let's say you want to replicate the following x264 command line:

--level 4.1 --preset veryslow --tune film --vbv-bufsize 62500 --vbv-maxrate 62500
with HandBrake GUI (from the thread mentioned above):

level=4.1:ref=16:bframes=8:b-adapt=2:direct=auto:me=umh:merange=24:subq=10:rc-lookahead=60:analyse=all:trellis=2:deblock=-1,-1:psy-rd=1.00,0.15:vbv-bufsize=62500:vbv-maxrate=62500
on a 1080p30 source for example.

Now the first command line from x264 will automatically limit the number of reference frames to 4.

But the second command line from HandBrake GUI will not limit the numer of reference frames and will use 16 reference frames, as specified, even though that makes it incompatible with level 4.1 specifications in that case, according to the following Wikipedia page for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

So you always have to go to such a page and look up what the maximum number of reference frames have to be at a given level and resolution and so on and then specify that manually.

Just an example...
randomreuben wrote:Why does this thread even exist???
Maybe because of the same reason "Rodeo" developed the following patch:

https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/280/

?

:roll:

And maybe because "Dark Shikari" apparently recommends to use x264 presets and tunes only?

And maybe because it would be more convinient to be able to use x264 presets/tunes/profiles/levels/etc.?

:roll:
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

I personally use this tool, which I whipped up in an afternoon.
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

jamiemlaw wrote:I personally use this tool, which I whipped up in an afternoon.
Thanks for posting this.

Could you please add the missing levels (1 / 1b / 1.1 / 1.2 / 1.3 / 2.2 / 3.2 / 4.1 / 4.2 / 5 / 5.1 / 5.2)?

And could you please automatically add vbv-bufsize and vbv-maxrate according to the specified profile and level?

And could you please add some more resolutions like 3840x2160 etc. for example?

And what about framerates?

:wink:

Also:

Maybe the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426

could be replaced with such a tool (although direct integration of "Rodeo"s patch (or something similar) into HandBrake GUI would still be preferred)?

And how often does it get updated considering that preset/tunes/etc. might change with new x264 releases?
Deleted User 11865

uy195036 wrote:And how often does it get updated considering that preset/tunes/etc. might change with new x264 releases?
That happens maybe once a year.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

jamiemlaw wrote:I personally use this tool, which I whipped up in an afternoon.
Oooh! Shiny! I like!
uy195036

Post by uy195036 »

randomreuben wrote:Oooh! Shiny! I like!
randomreuben wrote:Why does this thread even exist???
:shock: :roll:
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

uy195036, I wasn't referring to this moronic thread at all.

I was excited about jamiemlaw's snazzy website. Before this, I had to go to this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426 to make those presets, but now I see that jamiemlaw's awesome website does that for me and it's a lot simpler.

Why on earth are you saying "See?" over something jamiemlaw made? Kudos to jamiemlaw. What have you done except waste everyone's time?

Let me modify my original statement. Why do you even exist???
ios
Enlightened

Post by ios »

randomreuben wrote:uy195036, I wasn't referring to this moronic thread at all.

I was excited about jamiemlaw's snazzy website. Before this, I had to go to this thread viewtopic.php?f=6&t=19426 to make those presets, but now I see that jamiemlaw's awesome website does that for me and it's a lot simpler.

Why on earth are you saying "See?" over something jamiemlaw made? Kudos to jamiemlaw. What have you done except waste everyone's time?

Let me modify my original statement. Why do you even exist???
i told myself i wont post in the forums again but i do not know why people like you are given some special treatment in here to make others look like criminals when they post something... is it because you are a donator here? that is why moderators are overlooking your attitude?

tsk tsk arrogant people like you is the reason why we do not have nice things... your highness just get off your high horse

this thread is not breaking any forum rules at all but your attitude clearly is violating the forum rules here
Deleted User 11865

Enough.

Support for x264 presets in the GUI will be added eventually. You'll just have to wait.

And FWIW, we do not accept donations, so there are no "donors" here.