Display total encode time in Encode Queue window

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

nawoa

Display total encode time in Encode Queue window

Post by nawoa »

In the Encode Queue window, where it says "Job Status", "Source", etc, a field that says "Encode Time" or something similar would be tremendously helpful in judging whether a given quality setting was "worth it" after the encoding has finished.

Right now I'm encoding the same video with various settings overnight, trying to gather some statistics, and I have to go through the log files individually to find the total time. We're talking about about 200 log files here! I'm considering writing an UltraEdit script to just extract the data for me.

It would be really helpful and useful to have it displayed, and not just in my situation. Another use would be benchmarking, for example. But besides this, the total encode time is just interesting to know regardless of the situation IMHO... I mean, why not?

Thanks
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Display total encode time in Encode Queue window

Post by mduell »

A pretty niche need.

You don't even need to parse the log files, just look at the last modified times relative to the previous one.
nawoa

Post by nawoa »

mduell wrote:A pretty niche need.
To be fair, the audio and video codecs being used on each file aren't exactly vital information to be listed in the queue either.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Certainly from my point of view, it's probably not such a big deal to add given it already shows this during the encode process. It just doesn't stamp the final value on the queue task.
nawoa

Post by nawoa »

Am I hearing a "maybe"? :D