REQ: MPEG-2 output support

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

sambhara

REQ: MPEG-2 output support

Post by sambhara »

I understand that os x does not come with an mpeg-2 decoder and that you have to buy it, but I'd love it if handbrake knew if it were installed or not and then listed it as an output option.

Has this idea been mentioned before? Is there a reason this hasn't been implemented?

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

I'm intrigued as to why you want this.

Also - maybe you're under the impression that HandBrake uses QuickTime; it doesn't.
sambhara

Post by sambhara »

Well, I've been using Handbrake for exporting video's to my ipod, and it's been great for that, but when it comes to ripping my DVDs for my MacMini, which is attached to my HDTV, there is no simple solution.

I have to rip with mac the ripper, then hope that MPEG Streamclip will be able to join and convert the files.

I'd rip to a high res H.264 file, but to me it doesn't look that good, and it takes forever. (My Mini is a G4, and so is my Powerbook, so it always takes forever.) If i were able to encode to MPEG-2, the ripping process would be quick, as there is no compression involved, and the video quality would be lossless.

Now I know Handbrake is touted as an MPEG-4 encoder, but why not change that to an MPEG encoder. Honestly, I don't know anything about programming, but I can't see it being that difficult to add an encoder when all the software to do so already exists...

Obviously, I can be wrong, and maybe there are legal reasons for not including this kind of function, but that's why I posted it up here, see what people have to say....
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

I don't see this happening. Other tools exist, and while they may not be perfect, the very small demand for mpeg2 means that developers' time is better spent adding features which more people (including themselves) want. Sorry.

I think you'd be better looking into mp4; it's more compatible with Apple products, for a start. If you can't stomach the encoding times of h.264 try plain old mpeg-4 video; it's less efficient, size-wise, but will still be smaller and probably more useful than video straight off the DVD.
OSMacintosh
Novice

Post by OSMacintosh »

OMG I would love to have that option... I really would.

-AJH
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Errrrrrm...you guys are aware that DVD source, which is all HandBrake supports, already is MPEG-2, right? If you want a MPEG-2 rip, just rip with MacTheRipper and voila - you're done! What on earth does this have to do with HandBrake?

Rodney
OSMacintosh
Novice

Post by OSMacintosh »

Yes you are right about MacTheRipper... however I thought maybe you could do this and add the audio AC-3 and MPEG-2 (Video) in a .AVI container. This would make it a lot less work than having to use MacTheRipper, and then having to go into Quicktime to add the audio back to the Video. Plus adding the audio back to the video doesn't usually sync as well with QuickTime as it does with programs like Handbrake which merges them both together. (not sure why... I have try what you suggested before with certain movies).

That is why it would be nice to see Handbrake support it... plus you guys might be able to allow compression of Audio to mp3 or AAC instead of AC-3 and thus lowering the size of the movie, but keeping MPEG-2 video in like a .avi container.

And yes I am aware other programs do this... but really it isn't as nice because like I mentioned you have to use QuickTime to add the audio back to the video it isn't automatically added back together, and sync errors do happen more often with QuickTime at least in my experience.

Thanks for your information though,

-AJH
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

HandBrake is a next-generation audio and video encoder. It's never going to be a kitchen-sink conversion tool - it's job is to convert DVD to MPEG-4 and beyond, nothing more, nothing less. Other tools exist for the job, as you have noted, and if there is a sufficient market segment looking for the one-click functionality you are talking about, I'm sure someone will create a tool for it sooner or later. It won't be HandBrake.

Rodney
OSMacintosh
Novice

Post by OSMacintosh »

thanks can't wait to see a program like that!
siliconman

Re: REQ: MPEG-2 output support

Post by siliconman »

I realize that I'm jumping in late, but this would be useful for converting video for Tivos. If you enable the video sharing feature in Tivo Desktop, you can transfer MPEG2 encoded video to the Tivo. This would make it much easier to put TV series episodes or movies onto your tivo without commercials.
oerg

Post by oerg »

Is this possible with the newest version? i haven't found anything in the wiki...

tia
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

It isn't. Only new encoder is Theora video.
lex3001

Post by lex3001 »

This is yet another request for MPEG2 Output support.

Yes, in addition to my iPhone I would like to be able to use the same wonderful Handbrake UI to output stuff for my Tivo Series 2.
So if you add MPEG2 output support, I could do that, and it would be fantastic. If you don't add it, I guess I will be forced to upgrade my entire entertainment system to an HDTV, Tivo HD, and PS3 or Xbox 360. That's a lot of money, and all my old stuff will go into a landfill, or someone else will buy it and put THEIR stuff into a landfill -- so if you add this new feature, you will also help the environment (but maybe not the economy).

There could a couple Tivo Series 2 presets for varying quality -- if you actually implement this feature let me know and I can figure out what they would be.
belloq
Bright Spark User

Re:

Post by belloq »

Since MPEG-2 encoders must be licensed to be legal (correct me if I'm wrong), that's just another reason why HB won't ever have it. This tool is based on available open-source decoders and encoders.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

There is QuEnc...

Rodney
lex3001

Post by lex3001 »

How about just having an option to launch ffmpeg for custom encoding? That would solve both issues, right?
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

HandBrake does not interface to the ffmpeg CLI, It's not a CLI-Wrapper. It integrates directly with the library itself.
Therefore launching ffmpeg achieves nothing as there is nothing to pass to it to setup a job.
carlod

Post by carlod »

Hi people,
I know this is an old post but I'm just heading into this area... please forgive me!

I'm looking for a way to create and burn MPEG 2 files onto DVD so they can play in my DVD player.
(haven't got a PS3 yet...)

I have a Mac OS Snow Leopard.
I might occassionally download some avi, DivX files, movies etc. and want to play them on a DVD player...

I use Handbreak to convert .avi etc. to MP4's for my iPhone and iTouch (works a treat THANK YOU Handbreak!!!) but what about getting such files to MPEG 2 / for a DVD player?

Thanks in advance for any help for non-very techy Apple virgin...

Cheers
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Is not going to happen in HB. Beyond that your on your own. Presumably these files you download are free from copyright. Beyond that you are on thin ice. Consider this a warning.