GUI: Extended subtitle information

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Flo
Bright Spark User

GUI: Extended subtitle information

Post by Flo »

Currently, the Handbrake GUI on both Windows and Linux (I'm unfamiliar with the Mac version, so I don't know if it applies) only displays very basic subtitle information.

1 English (VobSub) -- Number, Language, Type

Getting more detailed information requires a subtitle scan, which cannot be run by itself:

Code: Select all

[14:36:57] Subtitle stream 0x21bd 'English': 2757 hits (0 forced)
[14:36:57] Subtitle stream 0x2bbd 'English (Director's Commentary)': 156 hits (0 forced)
[14:36:57] Subtitle stream 0x2dbd 'English (Forced Caption)': 77 hits (0 forced)
[15:03:00] Subtitle stream 0x20bd 'English (Closed Caption)': 1642 hits (0 forced)
It would be nice if this information was also added to the dropdown list in the GUI.

Getting the number of hits/forced actually requires an extended scan, so I guess that feature could only be opt-in. But the subtitle type flags (commentary, forced, CC) are already being read as part of the initial scan, the GUI just doesn't display them.

Thanks for your consideration!
zak

Re: GUI: Extended subtitle information

Post by zak »

Hello,
I also want to add to this, that I am confused on how to use the "Foreign Audio Search" feature correctly. As far as I tried only the first(?) subtitle track is scanned in my cases. But I usually want to copy subtitles in two languages, i.e. english+english forced (if available)+german+german forced (if available). Other subtitles should be omitted. How can I select which tracks should be searched for "foreign audio"?
Additionally I am confused that it performs the subtitle scan prior to encoding the whole movie without the possibility to select which forced subtitles should be copied.
Maybe I am just missing something or am I supposed to cancel the rip and start it again? (I am using the latest revision vom svn)

Personally I could imagine a button for an extended subtitle scan like Flo mentioned. (Alternatively the scan could maybe be included in the initial media scan?) After this scan all possible subtitles can be selected in the pull-down menu, showing also their name, hits and forced hits. Then you can choose for yourself and start the process. This would really be great.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

zak wrote:Hello,
I also want to add to this, that I am confused on how to use the "Foreign Audio Search" feature correctly. As far as I tried only the first(?) subtitle track is scanned in my cases. But I usually want to copy subtitles in two languages, i.e. english+english forced (if available)+german+german forced (if available). Other subtitles should be omitted. How can I select which tracks should be searched for "foreign audio"?
Foreign Audio Search will scan all subtitles matching the language of the first output audio track. If you want to include forced subtitles in multiple languages you'll have to determine the correct tracks and select them manually.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Flo wrote:Having it added to the dropdown list would be even better. Currently Handbrake doesn't even display the tags (Commentary, Forced, etc). But I realize that's more of a feature request and doesn't really belong here.
As far as I can tell, that information (Commentary, Forced, etc.) is stored in subtitle->lang. The MacGUI already display all contents of subtitle->lang in the popup name, and the information is also contained in the CLI scan output (so it should be available to the WinGUI as well).

There's nothing more I can do about this.
zak

Post by zak »

Rodeo wrote:Foreign Audio Search will scan all subtitles matching the language of the first output audio track. If you want to include forced subtitles in multiple languages you'll have to determine the correct tracks and select them manually.
Hi Rodeo, thanks for the explanation, now I understand the behaviour of that option.
Nevertheless with the current state of this functionality I first have to select the language I want to have forced subs from as first output audio track, start the encoding process, read the activity log to determine the status of the selected subtitles, cancel the process, do this procedure again for the other language and then do the final encoding with all required subtitles.
Not very convenient, but at least it is possible somehow.
Rodeo wrote:As far as I can tell, that information (Commentary, Forced, etc.) is stored in subtitle->lang. The MacGUI already display all contents of subtitle->lang in the popup name, and the information is also contained in the CLI scan output (so it should be available to the WinGUI as well).
Ah, now I see why the output is different here on my linux system. To see what subtitles there are actually available this extended information would of course be nice to have here, too.
ScooterComputer

Post by ScooterComputer »

I'll 19th this. The ability to determine FORCED sub tracks right now is too kludgy. The CLI tool can't even give you those details without running an encode, so it isn't easy to rip Shows like 'Breaking Bad' or 'Weeds' where only a few episodes per season have FORCED subs for Spanish speaking scenes. I hear 'The Sopranos' is the same (but for Italian, obviously ;).
zak

Post by zak »

Another problem with the existing implementation is, that you cannot determine forced subs of a subtitle X if there is no audio track available in language X.

I could imagine a parameter for the CLI, which just scans all subtitles of a given track. As I see the code to scan a specific subtitle language is already implemented, so I would be happy to try implementing this myself if someone could explain to me at which code I should start looking at?