YADIF's "Double Framerate" Mode

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

BigDog54321

YADIF's "Double Framerate" Mode

Post by BigDog54321 »

YADIF is a great deinterlacer in my book. Good choice! I use it by default in playback with FFDShow (it automatically engages for interlaced content). For best results, I find the "double framerate" mode is unmatched in quality as it most closely simulates what you'd see on a CRT screen.

Since HandBrake is already using YADIF, any chance of implementing support for the "double framerate" mode?

Obviously, the "match source" option for framerate would need to take YADIF's doubler into account. Other than that, just a tickbox for YADIF's doubler or perhaps a "Slower +DblFR" option on the deinterlacing drop-down.

[Yes, I am well aware of all the issues in doubling the FR, eg massively increased file sizes, slower encode times, increased CPU load on playback, etc. But the results are top notch, so it's just a good option to have.]
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: YADIF's "Double Framerate" Mode

Post by JohnAStebbins »

It's been worked on and is fairly close to ready for more extended testing https://reviews.handbrake.fr/r/207/
But we are in a code freeze right now while we prepare for the next release. Keep an eye on the nightly builds after 0.9.6 gets out the door.
rachel
Novice

Post by rachel »

Just popping in to register my 'yay' at this forthcoming feature. So far when I've needed to do this, I've had to use ripbot264 and boot into windows for the privilege (although many of the source materials that required it were also vc1-interlaced which can't be read by ffmpeg anyway).
rachel
Novice

Post by rachel »

I note current nightlies have high framerates (50/60fps etc) available for selection in the video tab, but no new options in the picture settings->filters->interlacing menu. Has this feature been implemented and I'm just too thick to figure out how to use it, or is it just not there yet? :-)

Hm, actually the current nightly on precise (yes i know) isn't showing the picture settings window; only the preview window. maybe I'll test this on a mac... :-)
tomt79

Post by tomt79 »

Hey guys,

Any updates on this?
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Nothing as yet.
randomreuben
Veteran User

Post by randomreuben »

If it works as well as I think it will work, I'm willing to donate a kidney to JohnAStebbins or any of the other devs. Those fine folks at LAME already got one kidney from me. This one's for you guys.