59.94 output?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Wowbagger

59.94 output?

Post by Wowbagger »

I'm trying to convert some ATSC MPEG2 Transport streams for a tablet (Vizio VTAB1008 if anybody cares) that can handle some pretty high rate H264 (I've successfully generated H264 1080P30).

The issue is when I want to take a 720P60 stream and convert it with Handbrake: If I select framerate "Same as source" the resulting files indicate they have a framerate of 90000fps - not quite accurate. However, as far as I can tell, there is no way to tell Handbrake to generate a 59.94fps file - the highest is 29.97. Is there some reason HB doesn't allow selecting 59.94fps?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Re: 59.94 output?

Post by JohnAStebbins »

Whatever tool you are using that is telling you the framerate is 90000fps is broken. It doesn't understand variable framerate h.264. When you use the "same as source" option, the output has exactly the same timing as the source. Every timestamp on every frame is preserved. In order to do this properly, handbrake marks the h.264 stream as variable frame rate (because it's possible, and likely, that the source has variable frame timing).

If you require constant framerate and 59.94 fps output, the nightly builds have a new checkbox under the framerate option that will allow you to force constant framerate for the "same as source" option.