Default names

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Durendal

Default names

Post by Durendal »

The default naming scheme for Mediafork needs to be changed. If I insert "Disc 1", let's call it, and want to rip four tracks, all four tracks are, by default, named "Disc 1", which means that if the name is left, only the fourth track will wind up getting ripped because the previous ones get overwritten. This is a real pain in the butt as I'd much rather change the names of the tracks in iTunes than in Mediafork, and if I forget, I've got to rip most of the tracks all over again, which is a waste of time. The default scheme should bee disc name, track number, ie "Disc 1 track 1", which would prevent the overwrites.
Thierry

Re: Default names

Post by Thierry »

Durendal wrote:The default naming scheme for Mediafork needs to be changed. If I insert "Disc 1", let's call it, and want to rip four tracks, all four tracks are, by default, named "Disc 1", which means that if the name is left, only the fourth track will wind up getting ripped because the previous ones get overwritten. This is a real pain in the butt as I'd much rather change the names of the tracks in iTunes than in Mediafork, and if I forget, I've got to rip most of the tracks all over again, which is a waste of time. The default scheme should bee disc name, track number, ie "Disc 1 track 1", which would prevent the overwrites.
Durendal, I think you forget to use the "Queue" feature of MediaFork. After selecting the first track, add it to the queue, select your second track and make sure you change the file name in the destination folder and add it to the Queue. If you do not, your last rip will automatically override the first one.
Braggss has a very good tutorial to help on ripping movie with MediaFork here: http://mediafork.dynalias.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=179
Hope this help
Thierry
baggss

Post by baggss »

I suppose they could implement a scheme where the name defaults to the tack number on the disc. It's a shame no one has come up with an on-line CDDB type data base for DVDs yet.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

baggss wrote:I suppose they could implement a scheme where the name defaults to the tack number on the disc.
I believe johnallen actually has this implemented in Instant MediaFork. In fact, I'd sworn he'd added it for the main interface too. So much so, I almost listed it in under "New Features" in the beta announcement.

I'll see what I can do about getting this included in the main .app for beta 2.

(What we have now is still better than "movie.mp4"....)
RTouris

Post by RTouris »

jbrjake wrote:
baggss wrote:I suppose they could implement a scheme where the name defaults to the tack number on the disc.
I believe johnallen actually has this implemented in Instant MediaFork. In fact, I'd sworn he'd added it for the main interface too. So much so, I almost listed it in under "New Features" in the beta announcement.

I'll see what I can do about getting this included in the main .app for beta 2.

(What we have now is still better than "movie.mp4"....)
Indeed, although I'd still prefer custom made incremental numbering and/or character prefixing/affixing just for the sake of it...File Buddy anyone? ;-)
baggss

Post by baggss »

A setting that would allow you to do that as an option, where you set what you want form a list of choices, might be nice.

Agreed that what we have now IS better than what it was before.
Durendal

Post by Durendal »

I did implement the queue, but I have to change the filename each time, otherwise the next item in the queue will delete the one previous to it. Just adding track number to the default name would fix the issue pretty well. That and presets are about the only things I'd really like to see in Mediafork, and presets are already on the table. Other than that, it's fantastic to see Handbrake updated to support the high-res iPod formats. Keep up the good work, guys!