Blu-Ray Subtitles

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Smithcraft
Veteran User

Re: Blu-Ray Subtitles

Post by Smithcraft »

That is completely separate from the topic here. If you look around you will see that the Handbrake team for some reason feels that screen size dictates CPU ability and will not make the Handbrake UI any smaller.

SC
Ayoross

Post by Ayoross »

Hello,

I tried nighly build svn4877 for windows, but subtitles were not processed ...
Rodeo
HandBrake Team

Post by Rodeo »

Ayoross wrote:Hello,

I tried nighly build svn4877 for windows, but subtitles were not processed ...
Hello,

please provide the encode Activity Log.
Ayoross

Post by Ayoross »

Well, in fact it works... only with a mkv container. Anyway that's a great feature.
jmorey

Post by jmorey »

I have been using the HandBrake nightly builds for a bit to do shrinking of blu-ray's from 1080 to 720 to save space. One thing that is very useful to me is the support added for PGS subtitles. I do have a question/request in his area. Currently it seem that the absolute size of the subtitles does not change when doing the conversion. The make the subtitles much larger when viewing the 720 conversion than they are in when viewing the 1080 version. Is shrinking the subtitles so that they maintain the same relative size something that has been or is being considered?

thanks for any info.

P.S. I'd be interested in looking into this if it is not already being looked at.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

jmorey wrote:I have been using the HandBrake nightly builds for a bit to do shrinking of blu-ray's from 1080 to 720 to save space. One thing that is very useful to me is the support added for PGS subtitles. I do have a question/request in his area. Currently it seem that the absolute size of the subtitles does not change when doing the conversion. The make the subtitles much larger when viewing the 720 conversion than they are in when viewing the 1080 version. Is shrinking the subtitles so that they maintain the same relative size something that has been or is being considered?

thanks for any info.

P.S. I'd be interested in looking into this if it is not already being looked at.
Where is your activity log? If you had provided it like the big red box at the top of every forum page requests, I wouldn't have to ask whether you are burning the subtitles into the video or passing them through as a separate track.

If you are passing them through, then no, HandBrake will not change the size of the subtitles. That's what passthru means, they are not touched or modified. It will be up to the player to do something intelligent with them. This isn't something we have any plans to change. Scaling such subtitles would require re-encoding them which is non-trivial.

If you are burning them into the video, then they should be scaled down along with the video.
jmorey

Post by jmorey »

JohnAStebbins wrote:
jmorey wrote:I have been using the HandBrake nightly builds for a bit to do shrinking of blu-ray's from 1080 to 720 to save space. One thing that is very useful to me is the support added for PGS subtitles. I do have a question/request in his area. Currently it seem that the absolute size of the subtitles does not change when doing the conversion. The make the subtitles much larger when viewing the 720 conversion than they are in when viewing the 1080 version. Is shrinking the subtitles so that they maintain the same relative size something that has been or is being considered?

thanks for any info.

Where is your activity log? If you had provided it like the big red box at the top of every forum page requests, I wouldn't have to ask whether you are burning the subtitles into the video or passing them through as a separate track.

If you are passing them through, then no, HandBrake will not change the size of the subtitles. That's what passthru means, they are not touched or modified. It will be up to the player to do something intelligent with them. This isn't something we have any plans to change. Scaling such subtitles would require re-encoding them which is non-trivial.

If you are burning them into the video, then they should be scaled down along with the video.
Thanks for the quick response. You are correct that I was passing the subtitles through. I looked into this some more because of your response and found that XBMC does as you suggest (displaying the subtitles correctly) while VNC does not. I'll take this conversation to the proper VNC thread. I'll also make sure I do a better job of including activity logs in the future. I did not this time because I thought I was making a feature request, not a support request but I can seen now that things are no so clear cut. Thanks again for your time. Hope whoever you may be rooting for in the Olympics does well.