Burned Subtitle Font Size

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

jwatte

Burned Subtitle Font Size

Post by jwatte »

Someone indicated he was using hardsubbing, and wanted bigger subtitles, but the request was marked [Invalid]. I believe it was marked [Invalid] because there was confusion about hardsubbing vs softsubbing.

I use hardsubbing (burned subtitles) because timing works better across a variety of players. I would like to be able to set the font size used for this. Currently, I can't. This snippet of explanation might be relevant:

Code: Select all

Currently handbrake is hardcoding the size of the subtitles in the temporary TTXT XML file it creates for import into the video. 
If there was a setting, either per-subtitle, or in options, of "subtitle pixel size in percent of screen height," that was paid attention to when generating the TTXT, I believe this might solve my request.

The ability to add a transparent dark background rectangle around the subtitle text would be useful, too.

I'm aware that subtitles that come from the source in the form of bitmaps cannot be scaled like this, but text subtitles can.
Deleted User 11865

Re: Burned Subtitle Font Size

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

jwatte wrote:This snippet of explanation might be relevant:

Code: Select all

Currently handbrake is hardcoding the size of the subtitles in the temporary TTXT XML file it creates for import into the video. 
AFAICT, this comes from here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=17032

eduo was referring to a hardcoded size for soft MP4 (TX3G) subtitles.
jwatte wrote:I'm aware that subtitles that come from the source in the form of bitmaps cannot be scaled like this, but text subtitles can.
HandBrake can only burn-in SSA text subs and VOBSUB bitmaps. Since SSA burn-in is done with the help of libass, there may be limitation as to what sort of control HandBrake has over SSA burn-in.
ajmas

Post by ajmas »

Does MP4 support video layers, so that the burnt in subs actually appear on another video layer? Of course the next question is if any players support this, if it is possible.
davidfstr
Enlightened

Post by davidfstr »

We only generate TTXT tracks when softsubbing to MP4 files.

If you want to boost the size of SSA hardsubs, you need to feed in a different parameter to:
> ass_set_font_scale( pv->renderer, 1.0 );

This is in decssasub.c. Since this isn't a personally useful feature for me, I welcome other adventurers with patches.