[Implemented] Encoding time

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Deleted User 23485

[Implemented] Encoding time

Post by Deleted User 23485 »

I'm using svn3719. The status line show "Time Remaining" for the encode. Could the status line include "Time Elapsed", and when the encoding is finished "Time for Encode". This should be a really simple thing to add, and I think a lot of folks would like to know how long their jobs take. Thanks.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Re: Encoding time

Post by thompson »

You can get roughly the same thing by just doing the math on the activity log timestamps. A few more steps, but would let you know how long it's taking.
Deleted User 23485

thompson wrote:You can get roughly the same thing by just doing the math on the activity log timestamps. A few more steps, but would let you know how long it's taking.
If you say so, but my suggestion should take only a little time to implement. At least my suggestion has yet to be rejected. Besides Its useful info too. The video takes X amount of time to encode and if I turn on this filter it takes Y amount of time. No need to scan log files. The info is there and I can take a note of it.
rogue23
Enlightened

Post by rogue23 »

Bite_Me wrote:If you say so, but my suggestion should take only a little time to implement.
Said by someone not writing the code.
Bite_Me wrote:Besides Its useful info too. The video takes X amount of time to encode and if I turn on this filter it takes Y amount of time. No need to scan log files. The info is there and I can take a note of it.
Agreed that it's useful info, but it can still be obtained through the log files. If you're trying to compare encoding times with different filters, the log files contain more useful information than just a time.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Where would this "Time for Encode" label go. I think you're thinking it would go at the bottom where all the other stuff is. So what happens if you have a queue of items? It can't go there because there needs to be a new progress bar there for the next video. Only the last video could have a persisting label, which is silly.

If you want to know how quickly a video is doing, look at the average FPS label. It's just as easy to compare frame rates as it is encoding times. If one version of a video goes at 12fps and another at 16fps, then you know that's about 33% faster. And if you want to know the FPS for the final file, there'll be a line in the activity log:

Code: Select all

[xx:xx:xx] work: average encoding speed for job is x.xxxxxx fps
It means you can also compare videos of different lengths.

"Time elapsed" sounds vaguely reasonable.
Deleted User 23485

jamiemlaw wrote:Where would this "Time for Encode" label go. I think you're thinking it would go at the bottom where all the other stuff is. So what happens if you have a queue of items? It can't go there because there needs to be a new progress bar there for the next video. Only the last video could have a persisting label, which is silly.
I don't know what you are looking at but in Handbrake 0.9.5 there plenty of room on the status line. I also don't see this "new" progress bar needed for the next video. There is only one progress bar on the left side of the status line that gets used over and over again as each video in the cue gets worked on. For people who cues up multiple jobs, total encoding time for all jobs would be nice to see. That way someone who only does one job at a time can still see at glance how long their job took.
thompson
Bright Spark User

Post by thompson »

Right, but you run the risk of comparing Apples to Oranges with your proposal. If the true purpose is to figure out whether settings increase/decrease encode time, fps is a much better metric as it doesn't depend on the length of the source.
Deleted User 23485

thompson wrote:Right, but you run the risk of comparing Apples to Oranges with your proposal. If the true purpose is to figure out whether settings increase/decrease encode time, fps is a much better metric as it doesn't depend on the length of the source.
My true purpose for this feature is when I come back to the computer and notice the encoding is finish I wonder how long it took? It would be nice to have that info displayed.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

It had never occurred to you to check the timestamps in the activity window?
Deleted User 23485

Re: [Future] Encoding time

Woo Hoo! My suggestion will be implemented at some future date. I'm so excited, lets break out the champagne and party like the Egyptians! OK, I'm easily satisfied.
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: [Future] Encoding time

Post by s55 »

Well, actually, it's more like. "I won't be implementing it, but if someone else does and submits it as a patch, I might accept it." In otherwords, it's probably not going to happen. Rarely ever see patches submitted these days
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: [Implemented] Encoding time

Post by s55 »

Deleted User 23485

Re: [Implemented] Encoding time

What a pleasant surprise, thanks s55. Its been 2 months since I checked this forum, so it was nice to see you had a change of heart and implemented my little suggestion.