Display title's runtime in minutes

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

nexradix

Display title's runtime in minutes

Post by nexradix »

I'd love to see HandBrake display a title's runtime in minutes, alongside the current "01h18m39s" format. Something like "01h18m39s / 78min" would be great.

I currently use the "target size" option to specify an approx output size, and have (through trial and error) determined a "file size per minute" that provides reasonably consistent quality using the Theora encoder. If the title's runtime is adjusted as I'm suggesting, it would be easier (meaning one less step) to calculate the needed output size.

I realize this is a pretty specific use case, and probably not something anyone would consider a high priority, but I figure it's worth asking. I'd be glad to try and assist with a patch if anyone can point me in the right direction as to where in the source code the title's runtime is calculated.
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Display title's runtime in minutes

Post by mduell »

nexradix wrote:determined a "file size per minute" that provides reasonably consistent quality using the Theora encoder
Use constant bitrate.

MB/min * 137 = kbps
Last edited by mduell on Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
nexradix

Post by nexradix »

mduell wrote:
Use constant bitrate.

MB/min * 17 = kbps

Add the size of your audio track (usually 160 or 384kbps).
Wow... that's much easier... :D I'm not sure why I never thought to try something like that. It makes perfect sense given how the "target size" option works.

Out of curiosity, where does the "17" come from in that formula?
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Forgot the bits/bytes conversion... should be (8192 Kb/MB) / (60 seconds/minute) or 137
And HB doesn't include the audio bitrate in the video bitrate, only if you're using target size.