Handling poor dvd's

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

indogo

Handling poor dvd's

Post by indogo »

Hi
using handbrake on linux using a simple homebrew bash script as a basic gui...I love it..the sexiest software this week....

haven't seen this elsewhere so here goes...

the only difference I've noticed between handbrake and dvdx (good but no linux)
is handling of scratched dvds....when handbrake encounters a bad sector it seems to give up and stop whereas dvdx wiil persist and often get past it with perhaps a little disruption in the resultant video which is enevitable.

Could hanbrake be altered to skip past or retry several times any errors on the disk?...dvd's unfortunatly are not always pristine...now if the design was altered.....

otherwise I love it to bits and often take it to bed wit me..

regards

mike
loyalty_anchored
Bright Spark User

Post by loyalty_anchored »

mike,

i would like to recommend that you rip your DVD to your hard drive first, then encode from there.

from what i understand, handbrakes dvd riping portion of the software is no longer a development focus, it is all about converting video.

i think of it as a bonus feature that works sometimes, i still rather rip to hard drive first, then encode from there, but thats my own personal preference.

hope this helps.
indogo

Post by indogo »

Well a common feature of dvdx and handbrake is ripping is direct from the dvd rather than needing 4-5 gb of hard drive.
dvdx is a collection of gnu software with a gui pulling it all together I believe, so the ripping engine is working on a similar basis...perhaps that could be utilised without a major redesign...

The all in one nature of handbrake is to me is what makes it most attractive and should continue as such.

mike
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

The codes not even remotely compatible.

Unless someone comes along and produces code and libary updates to better handle read errors, I doubt it will happen. Its just so low down on the priority list. Why fix something when there are other applications that do it better?

Mac the Ripper for example
indogo

Post by indogo »

strange replies...

Mac the Ripper....mac only..only rips to hard drive...hardly a handbrake alternative.

this is the feature request forum for a dvd to mpeg-4 convertor is it not so to suggest better handling of dvds with errors is not un unreasonable suggestion in my end user point of view.
dvdx gets a mention as it is a very good dvd to avi/mpeg convertor but only on windows and may internally be different but from a users point of view works in a similar fashion.

thankyou for the hostile responses...perhaps I should request something frivolous and only for my personal benefit,

will not trouble you again.
bye
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

The problem is bigger than this. Scratched DVDs aside (and how exactly is any tool encoding 'bad' data, given that the drive itself won't return it to the OS?), most "mastering problems" are intentional and represent copy protection. These require third-party software to defeat. For Windows, AnyDVD offers transparent real-time solutions to this, so you can rip directly from disc with confidence. Other platforms, such as MacOS X, require that you first rip to hard drive due to the nature of how they work. Linux, to the best of my knowledge, offers neither.

There are a number of older threads about why HandBrake will never seek to defeat any forms of protection beyond CSS.

Rodney
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

You need to learn the difference between hostile and to the point.

While its not an un-reasonable suggestion, its something that we are not particularly interested in. It'll most likely involve modifying the 3rd party libraries used and I don't think any of the devs are up to doing it. Hence the stand that we will not will not be targeting the reading of DVDs for improvement.

There is so many options for ripping the DVD on both windows and macos, it just doesn't make much sense to waste so much time trying to bring the code up to par with say, mac the ripper. Alot of work would be required keeping the code up to date on a very regular basis to support new formats and disc protection schemes.

If someone wants to come along and do this, then we will quite happily accept code submissions but other than that its just not on the deck.
indogo

Post by indogo »

You need to learn the difference between hostile and to the point.
I felt like I was being told my suggestion was ridiculous ... I have no problem with being given technical justification....thankyou for all the patient replies.

Perhaps to amicably conclude this thread someone could clear up my confusion on a point..
Scratched DVDs aside (and how exactly is any tool encoding 'bad' data, given that the drive itself won't return it to the OS?),
perhaps there is a misunderstanding going on here...I was ONLYinterested in the improved handling of scratched dvd's...I fully understand the reluctance to deal with whatever the dvd manufacturers add this week in the form of copy protection.....this is a whole diffent domain and others are interested in dealing with that as has been pointed out.

Indeed with a scratch no data is returned and with many applications (eg software players) the result can be a complete lock up.....the dvd ripper part of dvdx has obviously a method of telling the drive to get past the bad sector and continuing on with the rip after retrying several times...the result is a skip in the playback which would occur with any method.

The other reason why I made the suggestion is that when a bad scratch is encounted handbrake stops and an incomplete video remains...now with dvdx if this occurs (sometimes it gets stuck too) I simply recommence conversion from say 30 seconds after the break and splice the movie together afterwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong but with handbrake I can only start from a chapter which could result in a break of several minutes...perhaps being able to start conversion by a time index would be a more feasable way to deal with the problem and would be useful in other ways too...eg bypass unwanted intro.

Also bear in mind I am using handbrake on linux for which there is little available so a project such as this is very welcome...I use it frequently (scratches permitting) and get excellent results...this is the ONLY problem I have encountered.

regards

mike