Handbrake user interface

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

pstonebridge

Handbrake user interface

Post by pstonebridge »

I am new to this forum and am not sure where to stick this suggestion but I'm sure the weary and much maligned developers will tell me:

When clicking on 'Source' the Finder search pop-up window covers up the "Source: VideoFilename" field on the UI that was previously selected - which means that when adding a whole directory full of files I am constantly forgetting the name of the last one that I just added, causing me to cancel, read the previous file name, click on Source again, and then scroll down the FInder list to find the next one.

If one of you wise and powerful developers could move the Finder pop up window so as not to cover up the last Source filename it would be really helpful. Another way would be to display the last file added to the Queue when the queue window is displayed rather than forcing the user to scroll down to the end manually. Even better would be if it scrolled the Finder window down so that the previous or next source file was visible in the list (and maybe highlighted) then it would be really quick and easy to add a whole bunch of files from a single directory.

Thank you very much for your consideration.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Handbrake user interface

Post by dynaflash »

Moved to Ponies > MacGui.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

pstonebridge wrote:When clicking on 'Source' the Finder search pop-up window covers up the "Source: VideoFilename" field on the UI that was previously selected - which means that when adding a whole directory full of files I am constantly forgetting the name of the last one that I just added, causing me to cancel, read the previous file name, click on Source again, and then scroll down the FInder list to find the next one.
Well, an alternative would be to download a nightly which has batch scanning. Basically you can select the folder itself that contains the movie files and hb will scan all of the movies and load them up into the Title drop down in the main window, from there you can simply select each one and add it to your queue. NOTE: hb only goes one level deep, which means this does not work with a folder full of preripped dvds as it will not scan sub folders however works great if you have a folder full of non-dvd video files.
BillyBooBob

Post by BillyBooBob »

Another thing you can do (which is how I already solve your problem) is to have the Queue window open. When your "open file panel" is open, it's attached to the main window, but you can still move either window around and even bring your queue window up to the front if needed, in order so see what's already been run.

That is assuming your last entry is still in the list. If you haven't made any adjustments to the order in the queue list (dragging around), then your last encode setting should be at the bottom of the list.
dynaflash wrote:Well, an alternative would be to download a nightly which has batch scanning. Basically you can select the folder itself that contains the movie files and hb will scan all of the movies and load them up into the Title drop down in the main window, from there you can simply select each one and add it to your queue. NOTE: hb only goes one level deep, which means this does not work with a folder full of preripped dvds as it will not scan sub folders however works great if you have a folder full of non-dvd video files.
This is good to know... I often do folders full of files that are identical, and the settings I want on each are the same.
BillyBooBob

Post by BillyBooBob »

dynaflash wrote:Basically you can select the folder itself that contains the movie files and hb will scan all of the movies and load them up into the Title drop down in the main window, from there you can simply select each one and add it to your queue.
This is really cool. One thing I might suggest to add to this... While the GUI is pretty well loaded up for that section (I see that the controls have already moved to smaller sizes to make way for the new popup), for the new start / stop fields for seconds / frames, it would be nice to be able to make (toggle a checkbox?) the current settings sticky, so if we're going through a list of video files in the "Title:" popup and just going to the next file and hitting Add to Queue over and over, (be it for testing encode settings on a few different files or making Sample files to include with a full file), we could just set, say, 600 to 660 seconds and leave it. That way we would end up with a one minute clip of each file starting at the 10 minute mark without having to hit the popup and then remember to go back and enter 600 and 660 for every one.

Perhaps it should switch back to off each time the Source button is used so we don't forget that it's set that way when we load up some sources intended for full length encodes next time.
:shock: