Chapters inside MP4 file

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

pottajava

Yeah, what he said!

Post by pottajava »

I'd also like to thank you guys so, so much. I downloaded 8.5.b1, well actually 2.21 GUI (I'm command line challenged), and I just can't thank you guys enough for all your hard work.

It was a joy to read this whole topic through from page 1, and to see things getting brighter and brighter each page, until... VOILA! You guys did it!

It's selfless people like you guys that really help to advance. Kudos to you all once again. It's so awesome having chapters in my .mp4 files now. I've done two movies today, and they came out beautifully.

YOU ROCK!!!!!

I didn't even know what I was doing until I started reading through your forums here. Thanks again!!! Bless you guys!
Cyander
Experienced

Post by Cyander »

So, who gets to break the bad news?

While 0.8.5b1 has chapter support (which is huge), the next release is the one that has near-perfect chapter sync (within a frame or so, versus about 16 frames now), and support for entering chapter titles.
Neil

Post by Neil »

When you say "next release" do you mean the release version, which could be months, even years away, or do you just mean the next beta which would likely be sooner?
hawkman
Veteran User

Post by hawkman »

Next release as in, it's in svn now. There was just no time to thoroughly test its integration before 0.8.5b1
Cyander
Experienced

Post by Cyander »

hawkman wrote:Next release as in, it's in svn now. There was just no time to thoroughly test its integration before 0.8.5b1
I think the main concern was stability. I did kinda touch every part of the rendering pipeline with new code, and modify the UI as well as the CLI. It may not have been a big patch, but it was something that left very little untouched or unmodified.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cyander wrote:So, who gets to break the bad news?

While 0.8.5b1 has chapter support (which is huge), the next release is the one that has near-perfect chapter sync (within a frame or so, versus about 16 frames now), and support for entering chapter titles.
I hate to bug you about this, but do you have any estimate on how soon the "near-perfect chapter sync" and support for entering chapter titles will come?

16 frames isn't too bad, but I can wait a couple weeks if that will get me chapter titles too. Or, could I just as easily fix the sync and add the titles later? Thanks!
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Neil wrote:I hate to bug you about this, but do you have any estimate on how soon the "near-perfect chapter sync" and support for entering chapter titles will come?
Well as has already been stated in this thread, the code was committed weeks ago. So it did come, before you asked. Anyone can download HandBrake's source code whenever they want, compile, and enjoy Cyander's accurate chapter times and chapter titling system.

If your question is "when is the next public beta binary going to be released?" the answer is it will be done when it's done -- which is the answer everyone gets when they ask this question. If there was a planned release date it would be on the Trac roadmap.
Neil

Post by Neil »

jbrjake wrote:...Anyone can download HandBrake's source code whenever they want, compile, and enjoy Cyander's accurate chapter times and chapter titling system...
I downloaded Xcode and RapidSVN. The checkout went fine. But, I couldn't figure out how to navigate to my folder, Volumes/SHARE/Developer/HandBrake

I even tried to read the man file on the change directory command, but it was Greek to me. Since the compile instructions say:
Compile Guide wrote:...Please don't ask for support on this process...
Is there someplace with a simple explanation of how to use the terminal app? Otherwise, I guess that all we non-geeks will have to wait for a public beta. :-(

UPDATE: While I was writing this, I Googled and found Apple's command line primer at: http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... ion_1.html

I discovered that I had to add a slash in front of my path. I'm in the right folder now, but Terminal said "Command not found" when I typed make. Also, it said "no manual entry for make."
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

If someone can compile a binary of the "perfect chapters" code, could we have it hosted somewhere for thos of us willing to do even less work?
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

kneeslasher wrote:If someone can compile a binary of the "perfect chapters" code, could we have it hosted somewhere for thos of us willing to do even less work?
Please do not distribute binaries of unreleased code.

I do not know how we could be any clearer about this than rhester is in the FAQ:
Please DO NOT distribute binaries of any release to the public, since we would prefer to ensure that each public binary release builds cleanly on all target platforms, passes fundamental regression tests, hasn’t made API changes that will break third-party GUIs, etc. Neither end-users nor developers want to deal with the inevitable support headaches that bugs and unsupported functionality in uncontrolled binary builds straight out of svn can cause.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Any idea why Terminal would say "make: command not found" when I type that command? Thanks.

PowerMac G5/2x2, Mac O/S 10.4.9, Terminal 1.5, and the latest Xcode and RapidSVN.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Neil wrote:Any idea why Terminal would say "make: command not found" when I type that command?
This is exactly the sort of question I was trying to avoid having to deal with by writing "Please don't ask for support on this process."

You did *install* Xcode, right?
Neil

Post by Neil »

jbrjake wrote:
Neil wrote:Any idea why Terminal would say "make: command not found" when I type that command?
This is exactly the sort of question I was trying to avoid having to deal with by writing "Please don't ask for support on this process."
So, is there someplace where I can go to quickly learn what I need to know to get HB with the chapter marks feature? By the way, I noticed somebody else had problems building the SVN and had several people help him out in the development forum of this site.
Install? I mounted the disk image and copied the contents to a folder on my NAS. I didn't see an installer in the image.

UPDATE: Since you mentioned "install," I looked into the Xcode files and found a PDF that contained the installation instructions, including the requirement that Xcode be installed into the boot partition. I'll do that now. Thanks!
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Neil wrote:
Install? I mounted the disk image and copied the contents to a folder on my NAS. I didn't see an installer in the image.

UPDATE: Since you mentioned "install," I looked into the Xcode files and found a PDF that contained the installation instructions, including the requirement that Xcode be installed into the boot partition. I'll do that now. Thanks!
What a clever place to hide them!
Neil

Post by Neil »

mduell wrote:
Neil wrote:
...I looked into the Xcode files and found a PDF...
What a clever place to hide them!
Well, to be fair, we normally look for an app with the word "installer" in the name somewhere. Also, we look for a ReadMe file or installation instructions. This disk image had neither. In many such cases, the normal course of action is to just copy the contents to the hard drive.

Anyway, now that Xcode is installed on my boot partition, I was able to build HB and it's encoding a DVD now, with a six hour estimate completion time on my G5/2x2. I did check the box for chapter marks, but I didn't see how to write my own titles. I guess I'll have to look into that or wait for a more obvious GUI.

I give many thanks to jbrjake for the build help and many more thanks to the development team for the fine work you are doing.
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

Honestly, you expected copying the contents of a disk image to a NAS folder to install a command-line program? Unbelievable.

And now you can't find the tab in the middle of the window?

A gold star for you, sir!
Cyander
Experienced

Post by Cyander »

mduell wrote:Honestly, you expected copying the contents of a disk image to a NAS folder to install a command-line program? Unbelievable.

I think the worst part is that unless the Mac GUI owner changed my UI layout, the checkbox is RIGHT above the table you use to edit the chapter titles, in the Chapter tab.
Neil

Post by Neil »

Cyander wrote:
mduell wrote:Honestly, you expected copying the contents of a disk image to a NAS folder to install a command-line program? Unbelievable.

I think the worst part is that unless the Mac GUI owner changed my UI layout, the checkbox is RIGHT above the table you use to edit the chapter titles, in the Chapter tab.
Cyander, I saw the chapter box and the tab. I was only saying that the field didn't become editable the way Mac users expect. When a field is highlighted, we expect that striking the return or enter key will make it editable. Also, the double click didn't work either the first time I tried it and once or twice since. I got it now.

I also understand that HB is a cross-platform app, so I am not complaining that it doesn't behave 100% Mac-like. It just took me a few minutes to figure it out, no problems now.
Cyander
Experienced

Post by Cyander »

Neil wrote:
Cyander wrote:

Cyander, I saw the chapter box and the tab. I was only saying that the field didn't become editable the way Mac users expect. When a field is highlighted, we expect that striking the return or enter key will make it editable. Also, the double click didn't work either the first time I tried it and once or twice since. I got it now.

I also understand that HB is a cross-platform app, so I am not complaining that it doesn't behave 100% Mac-like. It just took me a few minutes to figure it out, no problems now.
Well, if the field isn't editing correctly, then it is a bug. PM me how you expect it to behave, and I will see if I can make a patch for it. When I added the table, I added it as a simple table, and did nothing to change the default behaviors (or anything to enable expected behaviors beyond what Cocoa gives for free)... so if functionality that is expected is missing, then it is a bug, not a cross-platform compromise. :)