Multiple instances/one encode per cpu setting please!!

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

Wetnap

Multiple instances/one encode per cpu setting please!!

Post by Wetnap »

It seems some settings will cause handbrake to under perform on multiple cpus, from what i've googled its the filters and such. But when i try to run multiple instances it crashes.

It would be awesome if there were an advanced feature to set cpu per job or simply let the user spawn a second instance. It would seem to be a better solution esp since one can already control how many cpus it uses. I've tried installing handbrake in a second directory but it also fails once i hit encode on the second gui, somethings shared that shouldn't be. this is in windows.

and before someone asks why...

think tv shows, or even regular movies, you want the job done as fast as possible:)
mduell
Veteran User

Re: Multiple instances/one encode per cpu setting please!!

Post by mduell »

Use the CLI.

Or multiple user accounts (one queue per).
Wetnap

Post by Wetnap »

hm on windows encodes continue to run in the background account?

the whole point of the gui is not to have to use the cli;)
Wetnap

Post by Wetnap »

ok i think i found a way, gotta generate batch scripts from the queue.
running two with deinterlace filter now simultaneously right now, frame rate of second encode is identical to the first, total core load is now at 80% which is better than the total minimal load from before. no log files and such, not sure if shutdown/standby after encode works doing this way.

still would be nice if there was an easier way in the gui.:)
firewing1

Post by firewing1 »

I would agree, removing the restriction in the GUI would be great. I have no problems using the CLI but I think the message should be a warning (such as "There is another HB instance running already. Continue?") and not an error that prevents you from starting another encode.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

If it were a warning, then it wouldn't prevent you from screwing up your encodes like you so seem so intent on doing. There are files that handbrake uses when it is running that can not be shared with another instance. If 2 instances were allowed to access these, data corruption would occur and likely lead to a crash or worse silently screw up your encode session.
Wetnap

Post by Wetnap »

Even if the second instance running from a bat file is from a second copied handbrake directory?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

I can't speak for the windows platform, but it's very likely the same as osx and linux in this regard. The queue file is kept in a user config directory that is common for all instances of handbrake that are run by a particular user. You can run multiple instances of handbrake by running each from a different user account. But if you use the same user account, you will corrupt the queue.
Wetnap

Post by Wetnap »

but the bat doesn't rely on a queue right? its just running command lines from the bat file?