Kiosk Ripping Mode

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

CorpusCollosum

Kiosk Ripping Mode

Post by CorpusCollosum »

Handbrake is a terrific program and kudos to everyone who has and is working on it! :D

Here is an idea that I am sure many people will agree is a good one :idea:

I'm sure that many people that use Handbrake have gone through the same thing that I did when I decided to encode my entire DVD library to use in an iTunes setting, so that I could sit on my couch and navigate through my DVD collection and choose what to watch with the little remote that came with my Mac Mini (or your MacTV).

I spent literally one week putting in a disk, going to preview, making sure the crop was on, getting my settings right and then ripping. Then wait, eject, push the next disk in, queue up all the stuff to encode, preview, crop, settings, rip.. again.. and again.. and again...

Hey, I'm not complaining, because it's absolutely great that I could do it at all.

However, it seems to me that it wouldn't be a herculean task to create a Kiosk Ripping mode inside of Handbrake. The goal would be to put it into a state where it waits for a DVD to be inserted. Once the DVD is inserted, it cycles through the titles, applies your designated settings, auto-crops and queues each up and then starts the ripping process. After the rip is complete, it ejects the DVD and waits for the next one.

Wow! You could just slip a DVD in and wait for it to eject, then slip in the next one! You wouldn't even need the display. This would be a lifesaver for people looking to encode their entire DVD library like I did, or just to suck down the four titles that you just bought at Walmart.

Anyhow, thanks for considering it and keep up the good work!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Well, there are some settings that will vary from dvd to dvd. How would it know what to choose ? For instance, the audio mixdown setting vary depending on what the source dvd has to offer. As well, HB automatically chooses the longest title, assuming it is the main feature, however, on many dvds, you need to check to make sure that is the title you want. For instance, with Deja Vu, the longest chapter actually has the director commentary on it, to get just the main feature, you actually choose the next longest title. Then there is deinterlacing to contend with, HB has no ability whatsoever to detect the need for deinterlacing at all.

To make matters worse, on most dvd's, especially any mastered in the last two years or so that have advanced copy protection, the recommended flow is to rip the dvd first with a ripper like mtr (mac) as HB does not deal with any type of advanced copy protection at all ( see the dreaded zero cell threads as well as dropped audio threads).

So, while good in theory, the idea of simply "feeding" HB disc after disc and having it automatically rip them with no human interaction actually presents many more problems than you would think.