[Rejected] Screen Resolution is too low

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

psicosour

[Rejected] Screen Resolution is too low

Post by psicosour »

I am plannig to use Handbrake on my netbook, mostly because I can leave it working overnight without afecting my work on my main laptop. But when tried to run Handbrake, it gives me that message about the resolution. Is it posible to allow a slightly lesser resolution to work? Just 120 pixels on the vertical axis will do.
psicosour

Re: Screen Resolution is too low

Post by psicosour »

bump
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

This request has come up many times before and I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I doubt it will ever happen. As the primary Windows developer has already pointed out, the GUI is already over-crowded... it simply isn't feasible to shrink the GUI any further.

To read a more detailed reasoning behind this, have a look through the Windows Ponies forum, which is where I'll be moving this as it's a feature request.
telekinetic

Post by telekinetic »

This is causing me a lot of trouble. I have a dual quad core Windows Home Server system that stores my media to be played on an AppleTV, and I recently replaced my dead Windows laptop with the netbook.

My previous workflow was to remote desktop into the windows home server and enqueue my conversions using the Windows GUI. Since little to no processing was done on the laptop, I thought I'd be fine with a netbook. However, the WindowsGUI will not run over remote desktop because my resolution is too low.

I tried to run the CLI instead, but because of how Windows Home Server handles its storage, I can't browse to the location of the files, it gives me a "CMD does not support UNC paths as current directories" error.

Am I really hosed? I don't see any options right now other than purchase a video card, monitor, keyboard, and mouse for my server and moving it out of closet, or buying some conversion software. :(
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

RandomEngy
Novice

Re: [Won't Fix] Screen Resolution is too low

Post by RandomEngy »

You could try VidCoder. It's got a much lower minimum horizontal size. It uses the HandBrake core libraries on a different GUI.
EricPost

Re: [Rejected] Screen Resolution is too low

Post by EricPost »

You can use a low resolution with handbrake. I use 800X600.

The thing is you can't OPEN Handbrake in that resolution.

The work-a-round is simply to set your screen resolution higher. Then you open Handbrake. Once Handbrake is open you reset your resolution lower.

Handbrake will be useable then. But you will have to use your mouse to MOVE the Handbrake GUI so you can read it properly. But it's not big deal
wcuchra

Post by wcuchra »

I have a HP Mini. It's highest resolution is 1024x600. Would you please lower your screen resolution requirements by the needed 20 points. I am unable to open Handbrake to change it's settings without it.
Thank you Warren
Morgma

Post by Morgma »

Wait a minute. We're going to throw a hard error because Handbrake may not look pretty? I have a dual monitor setup; I'm not making both monitors have the same resolution because everything else will be impossible to read, but because my "main" monitor has a lower resolution, Handbrake dies.

How about just warning the user that the GUI is going to be unreadable and then continue on. Visibility is not really a "system requirement". There is no need to protect me from a poor resolution; I'll just drag the GUI over to a screen that I can use it on.