Where to find presets to import? Decomb gone?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

exodous

Where to find presets to import? Decomb gone?

Post by exodous »

I got the svn2907 that was uploaded today and noticed that it doesn't have the presets I liked in 9.3, mainly the Animation preset. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could download presets to import, or if I could just export them from 9.3 and import them into svn2907. I use Ubuntu 9.10 so I need to use the latest svn or I would have stuck to 9.3.

Also, I can't find the Decomb setting anymore, is this taken out in the svn branch?

Thanx in advance,
Stan
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Where to find presets to import? Decomb gone?

Post by s55 »

From the snapshot release announcement wrote:* High profile presets: Instead of a confusing series of content-targeted presets, there is now a single, constant quality, High Profile preset with automated filtering and all the H.264 bells and whistles.
There is no downloadable presets.
Presets are not portable between versions. Code changes too much between versions.
exodous

Post by exodous »

s55 wrote:
From the snapshot release announcement wrote:* High profile presets: Instead of a confusing series of content-targeted presets, there is now a single, constant quality, High Profile preset with automated filtering and all the H.264 bells and whistles.
There is no downloadable presets.
Presets are not portable between versions. Code changes too much between versions.
I realize that, but everything apple was still kept so why not animation? There is still an import option in the presets pulldown options menu, so I was wondering if there were anywhere that I could get presets that were already made. I didn't think that the old one's would work, but I can't try without installing ubuntu 9.04 somewhere to get them so I thought I'd ask before I went through the hassle so you saved me time.

Also, decomb is gone, or I can't find it. I know it says in the announcement that it is still present, just need some help locating it.

Thanx,
Stan
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

exodous wrote:Also, I can't find the Decomb setting anymore, is this taken out in the svn branch?
Of course not. It's just been moved elsewhere.

I don't know the LinGUI so I can't tell your where to look, but it should be grouped somewhere with other "Picture Settings". HandBrake doesn't have hundreds of menus and toolbar buttons, so it shouldn't be difficult to find.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

I realize that, but everything apple was still kept so why not animation?
There is simply no need for it anymore. Animation, Film, Television and CQR are all replaced by the "high profile" preset. Thats the preset you should use.

There are use cases for the various presets targeted mainly at apple devices, thus, separate presets for those cases.

There is still an import option in the presets pulldown options menu, so I was wondering if there were anywhere that I could get presets that were already made.
The idea is more for preset sharing. (e.g copy a preset between machines or sharing with someone) There is nowhere you can download or get additional presets.

Decomb should be in picture settings.
exodous

Post by exodous »

s55 wrote:Decomb should be in picture settings.
Gosh, I have got to be blind, I checked there and swear it wasn't there before.
s55 wrote:
I realize that, but everything apple was still kept so why not animation?
There is simply no need for it anymore. Animation, Film, Television and CQR are all replaced by the "high profile" preset. Thats the preset you should use.
I re-encoded something I encoded with 0.9.3 with the Animation preset with High Profile seems to make a much larger file, roughly 2x as large. If it's just standard interlaced DVD quality animation do you think I should move the slider on 'Constant Quality' or change it to Bitrate and pick a value there?
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

The resulting video was likely of much higher quality than what you are accustomed to getting. I think that if you repeat the experiment on a larger number of samples, you'll see that some encodes are larger as this one was and some will come much closer to the size you are accustomed to. This happens because the constant quality setting will use only as many bits as are needed (and no more) to achieve the desired quality. So it is much more sensitive to the characteristics of the source material (e.g. a noisy source is more difficult to compress). I would suggest testing several samples and reduce the quality setting to something that gives the balance of quality and file size that you find acceptable. Of coarse if quality is of only minor importance to you, then just choose a bitrate that gets the file size you want.