Refer to subtitles by iso639-2 name, not by stream no.

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

yianniv

Refer to subtitles by iso639-2 name, not by stream no.

Post by yianniv »

Hi,
First of all, I would like to thank the developers for a great and very useful program. It is by far the best in its category (IMHO).

I am using the CLI in linux to transcode isos, and I would like to request a small enhancement. Since not all the dvds have the subtitle language I want to encode in the same stream number, would it be possible to refer to the subtitles by their iso639-2 name (eng, ell) and not by their stream number?

Thank you again for your efforts.

Yianni.
mykro76

Re: Refer to subtitles by iso639-2 name, not by stream no.

Post by mykro76 »

A big yes please for this feature!

I am new to Handbrake, and while it looks like a fantastic app the first thing I discovered was that the CLI cannot make videos that contain soft subtitles in the same language as the audio.

This is really important to make videos accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing!

In other words, I want to script Handbrake to rip all the English subtitle tracks, regardless of the audio track. The only option that can process language names is --native-language which is too restrictive.

What would be perfect is either a new option called "--subtitle-language <string>" or to have the "--subtitle" option be capable of processing language names as well as index numbers.

Thank you in advance for your consideration :)
mykro76

Post by mykro76 »

Hi again, I was wondering if there was any progress on this problem?

I still can't find a way with the current HandbrakeCLI parameters to specify a subtitle language by name and not have it be infected by that "less than 10%" requirement. Ironically the current subtitle implementation is designed for hearing people who only want to see the foreign speech subtitled, and doesn't really take into account the needs of the hearing impaired.

I simply want to specify "--subtitle en --subtitle-default" and have all the EN subtitles be included, the first one set as the default. It seems all this would involve is modifying the string parser slightly to work with both numbers and language codes.

Any thoughts on this?
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

As always, patches welcome.

--native-language already does part of what you're asking, but only for one track.
AlBundy
Bright Spark User

Post by AlBundy »

You can use my script to do this
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26163