Req: MKV/AVI to Mpeg-4 convert files

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

domerdel

Req: MKV/AVI to Mpeg-4 convert files

Post by domerdel »

I'm hoping that I can convert files, not just DVDs off my mac.
whimpers
Experienced

Post by whimpers »

HandBrake is focused on DVD and mpeg2 sources. If you want to convert other files (especially .mkv) to mpeg4 you'll get the best results with VisualHub. FFmpegX can do some mkv files too, but has trouble with HD mkv files.
If you're looking for a free program, try iSquint, but mkv support is not so great with it, avi is no problem however.
domerdel

Post by domerdel »

thank you. Hopefully for the DVDs that I do have, I noticed that you can't upscale movies to 720P. hoping that could be an added feature (??)
domerdel

Post by domerdel »

whimpers wrote:HandBrake is focused on DVD and mpeg2 sources. If you want to convert other files (especially .mkv) to mpeg4 you'll get the best results with VisualHub. FFmpegX can do some mkv files too, but has trouble with HD mkv files.
If you're looking for a free program, try iSquint, but mkv support is not so great with it, avi is no problem however.
- Problem with these programs they don't preserve the Audio Codecs, they convert everything into two channel... that's what's so intriguing about this program, even for the PS3 presets.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

This request does not even make sense.

MKV and AVI are containers. HandBrake is not a remuxing utility.
domerdel

Post by domerdel »

jbrjake wrote:This request does not even make sense.

MKV and AVI are containers. HandBrake is not a remuxing utility.
My Apologies, i'm still in research phase, and I get bounced back and forth from different forums "Try handbrake" and you're right, it's not that.