subs and mkv

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

MauserMan

subs and mkv

Post by MauserMan »

Hi guys!

I hope this question hasn't been asked before, sorry if i missed it in that case, (i did search for it).

I know that HB support hard coded subs from a dvd source. But i think it would be great if you could hard code a sub that is embedded in a mkv file too, so i guess my question is: Is it ever going to be possible to hard code a sub that is embedded in a mkv file?

Thanks for a great ripping tool, it's definitely a favourite of mine.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: subs and mkv

Post by rhester »

Moving to Ponies.

Rodney
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

if you mean embedded vobsubs in mkv, that's currently in development code and will be available in the next release. Take a look at the recent snapshot.
JohnAStebbins
HandBrake Team

Post by JohnAStebbins »

It's difficult to tell from the OP's description. But I believe he is talking about using subtitles from a source mkv. If so, there is currently no work being done on this.
MauserMan

Post by MauserMan »

Sorry if i was unclear about this, but i haven't been playing around a lot with mkv contained media. I'll try to explain one more time, English is not my first language, but i guess that Swedish isn't going to make things easier either :wink: .

Ok, here we go:
The last hd movie i watched was indeed a mkv contained movie, and when i opened it in quicktime i discovered that it had two subtitle tracks which i could chose from, in the "view/subtitles" menu. Since the tracks was present in the mkv container already, i thought it would be cool to be able to hard code one of them onto a m4v file for example, using handbrake.

I don't know if my mkv movie was very "un standard" when it comes to hd movies, but thats why i ask you guys, you're the experts.