Possible to: DTS to AC3 with demuxed audio?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules
Please be aware we are now using GitHub for issue tracking and feature requests.
- This section of the forum is now closed to new topics.

xCaptainAm11

Possible to: DTS to AC3 with demuxed audio?

Post by xCaptainAm11 »

I hear handbrake is capable of converting DTS streams to AC3, but I was wondering if it was possible to do this with demuxed audio. I ask because I usually use tsmuxer to extract the audio and convert it using some other program (eac3to). This is generally the process I use right now (because I'm a Windows guy right now), but I'm trying to switch to a Mac. Wondering if this program will suit my needs. Thanks.
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Possible to: DTS to AC3 with demuxed audio?

Post by rhester »

Not sure where you heard this...it isn't true.

Rodney
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

Handbrake (current SVN) will now allow DTS pass through into supported containers, but it has never supported AC3 encoding of any kind.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

I have a question, would it is possible in future to enable DTS to AC3 conversion? as I think that would be a great add :D
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Why, given that any standards-compliant DVD source *must* include an AC3 track but *may* include a corresponding DTS track?

Rodney
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

I didn't mean from DVD (who uses them anymore :P ) but Blu-ray and HD DVD's have DTS (core) that is why I asked, only programme I know that does DTS to AC3 is in Windows :(
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Northy wrote:I didn't mean from DVD (who uses them anymore :P ) but Blu-ray and HD DVD's have DTS (core) that is why I asked, only programme I know that does DTS to AC3 is in Windows :(
I would love to have such a feature too, for the same reason, it would save one conversion step.
ParkBrake

Post by ParkBrake »

I wish Handbrake could convert to AC3 at specified bitrates. Converting to AAC currently the audio quality is very bad when comparing it to results from EZmkvDTStoAC3. It's so bad it's not really worthwhile unless something else is used for the audio. "Passthru" simply isn't an option when converting things to change their size.
Brash

Post by Brash »

rhester wrote:Why, given that any standards-compliant DVD source *must* include an AC3 track but *may* include a corresponding DTS track?

Rodney
Because many MKVs have *only* DTS audio and most of us are using this app to encode more than just DVDs
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Brash wrote:
rhester wrote:Why, given that any standards-compliant DVD source *must* include an AC3 track but *may* include a corresponding DTS track?

Rodney
Because many MKVs have *only* DTS audio and most of us are using this app to encode more than just DVDs
... no comment.
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Passthru DTS would also do, but looking at the size of DTS in Blu-Rays ... converting to AC3 is maybe the best solution. But until today I have not found anything that can do it that well under OSX or Linux. I tried using ffmpeg, but the tracks would not have the correct mapping after converting them to AC3. Currently I use eac3to for this, and so far it works fine, but it requires a Windows PC somewhere.
alehel
Experienced

Post by alehel »

I spent the last month or so trying to get my blu-ray disks over to an Apple TV. In the end, I gave up. Not because it can't be done, but because it was extremely time consuming. Converting PGS subtitiles so that I could burn "forced subtitiles" into the video, converting dts to ac3, remuxing the files afterwards, etc. Just takes to much time. The process has got much easier since I last tried doing all this about 1 year ago though. I remember handbrake would have trouble with VC-1 files and it seems to handle them fine now. There are still things that need to be done to make it easy to do blu-ray rips though. As far as I can see, they are as follows;

- DTS -> AC3 passthrough
- Convert PGS subtitles so they can be burnt into the video just like VOBsub (I'm not going to ask for any OCR stuff here, I just want to be able to burn in forced pgs subtitle tracks which are often used in movies)
- Read directly from the disk (I am not hoping for inbuilt decryption, but there are programs that can do on-the-fly decryption which could be used in conjunction with HandBrake).

If these three things are sorted out, I might go back to doing blu-ray rips again. At the moment though, it's just to much work when I can simply pop inn a dvd and press go using the Apple TV preset and get things like AC3 surround, subtitiles, etc. So for the time beeing my blu-ray films will have to stay in my blu-ray player. This doesn't bother me though. I have several hundred DVD's that need doing first. By the time I get through them all, HandBrake will probably have reached version 0.9.6 :P and might have better Blu-Ray support.

Not complaining though. HandBrake is great. Just my little wishlist :D