GPU Acceleration?

Archive of historical feature requests.
Please use the GitHub link above to report issues.
Forum rules

Please be aware we are now using GitHub for all issue tracking and feature requests. This forum will be locked in the near future.

vorob

GPU Acceleration?

Post by vorob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi, I'm on Nvidia 1070, and I would like to know if HandBrake utilizes its power to encode videos? Cause no specific settings found in utility by me. Thx!

Woodstock
Veteran User

Re: GPU Acceleration?

Post by Woodstock » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:16 pm

The only currently-supported accelerator is Intel's QSV, which is dedicated video encode/decode hardware, and not so much a GPU.

GPUs in general do not help much with actual encoding. They can be of some help with filtering video, but they also can cause compatibility problems.

vorob

Post by vorob » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:17 pm

That's interesting info. And what about all fairy tales about CUDA and NEVEC that Nvidia forced over a decade? Or it's more about capturing video, not re-encoding?

Woodstock
Veteran User

Post by Woodstock » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:14 pm

I believe the benchmarks for using OpenCL for encoding placed it about 5% faster in some circumstances over using the main CPU in the system, unless you were looking at an old 1- or 2-core processor. The more modern the CPU, the smaller the difference.

But the lack of someone maintaining the OpenCL code meant that it was not keeping up with advancements, and was becoming a compatibility problem. OpenCL has been the cause of a lot of crashes recently, especially on Windows 10.

NVENC is a different story - it's an encoding engine in hardware, like QSV, that you can buy on high-end video cards. But it does not have as wide of support in the open-source community for the simple reason of market saturation. If you buy an Intel-based system nowadays, you are likely to have QSV hardware; but not as many people have an NVENC-capable video card. Or AMD's version, for that matter.

The real answer is, "well done patches welcome".

mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:36 pm

CUDA was a joke for video encoding, NVENC is targeted toward realtime/low latency encoding (videoconferencing, streaming games, etc). You could use it with HB, but there's not a lot of interest since it's not great for efficiency.