Stretch-plugin for Apple TV?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Hansel

Stretch-plugin for Apple TV?

Post by Hansel »

This isn't exactly a Handbrake issue, I hope you don't mind me asking in this forum.
I have a lot of, mostly older TV-shows on DVD, that's in 4:3 format. When I encode the 4:3 DVD's in handbrake they are pillarboxed when I watch them on my TV or computer monitor which they obviously should be.
If I watch them in iTunes on my computer monitor I have the option in iTunes to "stretch" the video thus making the movie fill the entire screen.
If I watch the movie on my Apple TV I don't have the "stretch" option that I have in iTunes so I have no option but to watch the TV-episode pillarboxed. I have an older LCD-TV that doesn't allow me to change the aspect ratio on digital inputs.

Does anybody know of a "stretch-video hack" or something similar for the Apple TV, that will allow me to watch these TV-episodes in fullscreen? Or does anybody have another clever idea to solve my problem?

Any help is really appreciated!
nathug
Bright Spark User

Re: Stretch-plugin for Apple TV?

Post by nathug »

Check your TV specs. I bet you can stretch it via the remote, this is what I do on my Panasonic.

Nate
Hansel

Post by Hansel »

Unfortunately not. The stretch/zoom etc. options are all greyed out on my TV when using digital inputs.
gmacman

Post by gmacman »

I have the same situation (mostly old TV shows on DVDs). What I typically do is just set the output to 720x480 in Handbrake. Not the prettiest solution and it doesn't fill the full 16x9 screen, but it does make them a bit more wider without too much width distortion (in other words, you won't look at people's heads and say "that looks weird"). These old TVs shows aren't the greatest PQ anyway, so making this distortion isn't like painting a mustache on the Mona Lisa.

Not a perfect solution, but it does work. Again, you go into Picture Settings, uncheck Keep Aspect Ratio, increase the width to 720 (which will send the output to a 720x480 picture or a "13.5x9" if you will instead of a 16x9).
Hansel

Post by Hansel »

Thanks for the tip gmacman, I'll try to encode one of my 4:3 TV-episodes tonight at 720x480.