Odd MKV file

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Osmolar

Odd MKV file

Post by Osmolar »

Ran into another file that Handbrake refuses to encode... looked in the log and found this:

Code: Select all

Input #0, matroska, from '/Users/dan/Desktop/Rudy.mkv':
  Duration: 01:53:59.87, start: 0.000000, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0(eng): Video: h264, yuv420p, 1280x692, 23.98 tb(r)
    Stream #0.1(eng): Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5:1, s16
    Stream #0.2: Attachment: 0x0000
    Stream #0.3: Attachment: 0x0000
    Stream #0.4: Attachment: 0x0000
I don't know if this is what is giving HB the problem, just seems odd that this MKV would have three seemingly empty streams. Any MKV experts have out there have a clue into what's going on here?
TedJ
Veteran User

Re: Odd MKV file

Post by TedJ »

They may not be empty, they may just contain material that HB doesn't know how to handle. mkvinfo may be able to correctly identify the attachments.
Osmolar

Post by Osmolar »

Thanks, Ted...

Well, I ran that tool in Crossover and from what I see, they appear to be fonts. I am assuming these are for some sort of embedded subtitling? This movie has no hard subtitles that I have ever seen.

When I did the original rip and encode, I did not embed fonts into the MKV (didn't even know this was possible). Is it possible the old MKV encoder I used "stamped" the video with some sort of watermark? Or maybe they were for a scene where the location in the movie is displayed? I'm lost and a complete noob at this stuff.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

It's possible, but Handbrake certainly doesn't have the functionality to embed soft subs and associated fonts.

You could use the mkvmerge GUI from the same package to extract the attachments and re-write the file.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

Do you have a full log? Attachments shouldn't matter, both in 0.9.3 and SVN
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Sorry, going to play devil's advocate here...

How would you have created a MKV file and not know what the contents of it are?
Osmolar

Post by Osmolar »

nightstrm wrote:Sorry, going to play devil's advocate here...

How would you have created a MKV file and not know what the contents of it are?
Not 100% certain what you're implying here, but am fairly sure and find it fairly presumptious. As I stated in my earlier post, I'm no expert when it comes to this stuff. Last year, I ripped most of my Blu-Ray disks on my Windows box and converted them to MKVs following a guide I found on videohelp.com. I really haven't the foggiest idea how there are fonts embedded in this file, nor do I even know why you would even need them. I only noticed the extra attachments when I compared the log to a known successful one.

What I do know, is I followed TedJ's sage advice on removing the attachments and was able to successfully use Handbrake to encode an Apple TV compatible version overnight. Thanks, Ted.