ExternalBuildToolExecution external
HandBrakeCLI:
Ld ../build/HandBrakeCLI normal i386
HandBrake:
Ld ../build/HandBrake.app/Contents/MacOS/HandBrake normal i386
(3 failures)

make: *** [macosx.build] Error 1

The only error I see repeated is...
i686-apple-darwin9-g++-4.0.1: ../build/contrib/lib/(*ALL DIFFERENT): No such file or directory

LOG -

Code: Select all

http://pastebin.com/m7c5418e2
sdaniels

Re: Build Error OS 10.5.6 03/09 SVN

Post by sdaniels »

Never mind, I guess the Installer Package from Yasm wasn't good enough. Compiled and installed myself from source and all went fine.
theofan

Post by theofan »

I have the exact same problem installing on Mac OS X 10.5.6 but I've compiled and installed yasm from source and I followed the instructions provided here: http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileGuideOsx to compile via terminal. All I see is that it is not building the different librairies (the .a files).

Anybody have a clue?!

Thanks,
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

All you have to do is follow the directions in the SVN.

Since the process is unsupported, it is expected that someone who is compiling HandBrake's development code actually follows HandBrake's development, which in this case means being aware from reading the Trac timeline or IRC logs that the build system is being rewritten from the ground up.

The wiki isn't going to be updated until the build system stops changing every 8 hours, because the technical documentation in the trunk is always up to date.
LeopoldBloom

Post by LeopoldBloom »

For the last little while (up to last night) I've been able to build successfully by doing the following:

1. I had to clear out my existing HB source directory and checkout the source again (same method as posted in the wiki still works). svn update also is still working.

2. You now have to have a separate directory for the build. The default name for this, as suggested in the build instructions that were included with the svn (they haven't been in the svn for the last few days), is "build." So you enter, mkdir build then cd build to get where you need to be.

3. Run ../configure then make.

Each build has to be in a separate directory, so if you update your svn and then build in the same directory you've already built in, it won't compile the updated code. I've just been deleting the build directory each time and repeating the process from the svn update step. There's probably a better way to do it, but I have no idea what it is.

Disclaimer: I'm neither a developer nor an expert. I'm only passing along what has worked for me in case it's of value to any other laymen trying to compile HB. I could be horribly wrong about everything.
theofan

Post by theofan »

I hadn't noticed that the configure failed on wget. So I compiled wget from source and recompilled yasm from yasm's SVN. Everything is working fine now!

Thanks for your help!
theofan

Post by theofan »

I just checked with my build log and the problem really was that I had a directory name with a space in it ("Open Source") and that is why my build was failing. Renaming it to OpenSource corrected the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help!
conradh

Post by conradh »

I tried building from SVN trunck latest source today without any luck.
I updated yasm to 0.8.0 version same error.

At the end of the compiling process i get the following error:

=== BUILDING NATIVE TARGET HandBrakeCLI WITH CONFIGURATION standard ===

Checking Dependencies...
error: There is no SDK at specified SDKROOT path '/Users/conrad/Desktop/HandbrakeSVN/macosx/macosx10.5'
** BUILD FAILED **

Please help.
conradh

Post by conradh »

I found out that Apple has updated Xcode. I am just downloading/upgrading the 996 mb package. Maybe it helps. Keep you updated.
Conrad
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

FWIW, I just built 2341 a day or so ago, so I can vouch at least that it's not an issue with the source/SVN.
kvaruni
Novice

Post by kvaruni »

I am having similar build problems. Everything up to revision 2346 works fine for me. Updating to 2347 seems to cause the problems. I guess that the updated version of libmp4v2 in 2347 may be the cause of the problems, though this is mostly speculation. I am getting a

checking build system type... Invalid configuration `copy/build/contrib/': machine `copy/build/contrib/' not recognized
configure: error: /bin/sh autoaux/config.sub copy/build/contrib/ failed
make[1]: *** [contrib/libmp4v2/.stamp.configure] Error 1
which results in

** BUILD FAILED **

The following build commands failed:
external:
	ExternalBuildToolExecution external
(1 failure)

If I find the solution, I will post it here.

edit: buidling yasm again from scratch seems to have resolved the issue. Strange, since I already had a version built from scratch. Ah well, reminder to myself and others: whenever facing build problems first grab the latest source for yasm and rebuild it from scratch.
mdadgar

Post by mdadgar »

I just fought with exactly this problem and it turned out to be failing (with those exact messages) because I had a space in a directory name in my build path.

Go figure.

Anyway, it's building nicely now.

- Mark