Possible Atomic Parsley/MetaX bug

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Osmolar

Possible Atomic Parsley/MetaX bug

Post by Osmolar »

Just thought I would give everyone a heads up on this;

http://tntluoma.com/technology/atomicpa ... me-around/

I found this blog post after retagging a few movies with MetaX for OSX (uses a modified Atomic Parsley). I ended up with two movies with audio, but no video. Unplayable in iTunes, Quicktime, or VLC. Strangely enough, the two other movies I retagged had zero issues. I changed different tags for each movie, so I can't be certain which portion of the metadata retag caused the problem to occur.

Wish I hadn't got ahead of myself and trashed the originals... guess it's time to pull out the source backups. Bah.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Re: Possible Atomic Parsley/MetaX bug

Post by refulgentis »

mp4tags (a CLI implementation of libmp4v2, written by the libmp4v2 project folks themselves), or subler (a GUI implementation of libmp4v2), are both free alternatives that should be helpful to you in this case.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Like a testamonial for Sham-Wow, I will gladly back-up the OP and say I learned early on that BOTH Meta-X and Lostify can cause this. I played with it for a week, but as the OP stated, there were just too many variables to figure out what was going on. You CAN avoid this by using a different MP4 editor to clear out all of the metadata first. Or, if you're lazy like me and it's heading to iTunes, just change the information in iTunes under "Get Info", and live with it. For what it's worth.
Osmolar

Post by Osmolar »

Yep, I'm gonna stick with iTunes for tagging now; a little Command-C/Command-V from MetaX will do the trick quite nicely. The only thing I'll miss is the nifty graphical MPAA rating tag that MetaX adds.

Hopefully, iTunes will gain more robust video tagging abilities in the near future.

Edit: Refulg... are you saying I might be able to recover my video by retagging with those apps you mentioned? Or am I misunderstanding?