Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
tf11

Re: Advanced Bluray/HDDVD Workflow & Features Discussion

Post by tf11 »

I got an error when I originally tried to run this movie through Clown BD, so that is what prompted me to try putting the largest .m2ts file in the Stream folder into HB without it.
I'm at work now, and can't remember the exact wording of the error in ClownBD. Something like "A01 error" during one of the 2 phases.

I thought I had read that if the movie was in a single .m2ts, you can feed that straight into HB as long as you don't need subtitles and chapter markers.
In this case, there is a single .m2ts that does contain the main movie in the STREAM folder (plays fine in VLC). (HB scans this ok.)
There are also other .m2ts files located here. (I was thinking they were additional features? Do they also make up the main movie somehow?)

I am ripping the BR disc with AnyDVD HD to my hard drive first.

Then, I am only selecting the 1080p movie and the main DTS audio and then .M2TS and ac3 audio as the outputs.
I am leaving everything else unchecked in ClownBD.

I will post a screen shot of my settings in ClownBD later.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

You know that the AnyDVD forums would your best bet to help you here.

Nate
tf11

Post by tf11 »

I did have success last night with a different title. I begin to look very closely at the logs that clownBD had produced and found some errors that were not present in the (clownBD) log for the movie(s) that I was able to successfully encode with Handbrake. I posted over in the slysoft forums (clownbd thread) about that particular issue. Looks like the source of the issue might be a bad rip. I'll check the clownbd logs before attempting to encode with Handbrake.
the-oz-man

Post by the-oz-man »

I looking for some help on srt files. I have never bothered with subtitles or chapters before, but would really like to add these steps to my work flow. I'm at a loss as to where to start with suprip or trying to find the correct srt file over the web. Does ClownBD produce a .sup file that you start with? Any guidance is much appreciated.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

the-oz-man wrote:I looking for some help on srt files. I have never bothered with subtitles or chapters before, but would really like to add these steps to my work flow. I'm at a loss as to where to start with suprip or trying to find the correct srt file over the web. Does ClownBD produce a .sup file that you start with? Any guidance is much appreciated.
I use eac3to from the command line (ClownBD is a GUI wrapper for this) to create the .sup file. You would then need to use something like suprip (not subrip) to create a .srt file based on what the OCR-functionality (and your manual editing) comes up with. This could then be attached to a MP4 using Handbrake, or Subler (on Mac).

While this works great in theory, I gave up on doing this for the majority of my encodes as I found the OCR was HORRIBLE and required me to basically go through line-by-line to fix mistakes. You can find .srt files at sites like www.opensubtitles.org, but even then you will need to find one that matches the timing of your source.
the-oz-man

Post by the-oz-man »

nightstrm wrote:
the-oz-man wrote:I looking for some help on srt files. I have never bothered with subtitles or chapters before, but would really like to add these steps to my work flow. I'm at a loss as to where to start with suprip or trying to find the correct srt file over the web. Does ClownBD produce a .sup file that you start with? Any guidance is much appreciated.
I use eac3to from the command line (ClownBD is a GUI wrapper for this) to create the .sup file. You would then need to use something like suprip (not subrip) to create a .srt file based on what the OCR-functionality (and your manual editing) comes up with. This could then be attached to a MP4 using Handbrake, or Subler (on Mac).

While this works great in theory, I gave up on doing this for the majority of my encodes as I found the OCR was HORRIBLE and required me to basically go through line-by-line to fix mistakes. You can find .srt files at sites like http://www.opensubtitles.org, but even then you will need to find one that matches the timing of your source.
Thanks for the quick reply nightstrm! Command line proves to be a little beyond my expertise and I'm happy with GUI technology that helps out simpletons like myself. My search for suprip got mixed results as every download link shows a .rar file. I guess I was looking for an .exe file to run a program. Since I have only a few movies like House of Flying Daggers and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, thankfully I won't have to do this process more than a few times. Subtitles are absolutely necessary for these titles and I really don't want to go line by line through 500+ subtitles to manually edit them! I guess I will be looking at matching up the correct .srt file from opensubtitles to find the right one. This being the case, I could skip the suprip step and move on to my handbrake encode and drop in the "hopefully" correct .srt file by Subler in a like step? Correct?

Edit - if I had spent only a few more minutes search for what a .rar file is, I would not have posted this response. I did have one more question. Are there other program alternatives to Suprip? I happen with having subtitles finally, but not happy about the grey-out bars that accompany every subtitle.
fcmarriott

Post by fcmarriott »

All -

I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced my issue. I'm using AnyDVD HD to rip, run it through ClownBD, then move over to Mac/Snow Leopard and use Handbrake to encode both SD for mobile and HD for AppleTV, subler to add chapter track and then run the HD file through MetaX to add additional metadata. Then back to Subler to add cnID for iTunes and other apps as appropriate for subtitles.

After about 3 movies, I've reviewed the results via both my AppleTV and Quicktime/VLC/iTunes on the Mac. My SD movies play fine and look good for viewing on the iTouch/iPhone. However, my HD movies only show a solid black screen with no content. There's nothing there.

I've started troubleshooting - so I checked each stage of the process and it seems that MetaX is the culprit. The files look fine in Qtime/VLC until I run it through MetaX, then nothing - but only for HD content (~1280x688).

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Anyone else having trouble with MetaX for HD content? I'd like to get this sorted as the HD portion takes a while and I hate to have to do it over and over.

Thanks in advance.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

fcmarriott wrote:All -

I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced my issue. I'm using AnyDVD HD to rip, run it through ClownBD, then move over to Mac/Snow Leopard and use Handbrake to encode both SD for mobile and HD for AppleTV, subler to add chapter track and then run the HD file through MetaX to add additional metadata. Then back to Subler to add cnID for iTunes and other apps as appropriate for subtitles.

After about 3 movies, I've reviewed the results via both my AppleTV and Quicktime/VLC/iTunes on the Mac. My SD movies play fine and look good for viewing on the iTouch/iPhone. However, my HD movies only show a solid black screen with no content. There's nothing there.

I've started troubleshooting - so I checked each stage of the process and it seems that MetaX is the culprit. The files look fine in Qtime/VLC until I run it through MetaX, then nothing - but only for HD content (~1280x688).

Has anyone else seen this behavior? Anyone else having trouble with MetaX for HD content? I'd like to get this sorted as the HD portion takes a while and I hate to have to do it over and over.

Thanks in advance.
Are the HD files larger than 4GB? I think there is an option that needs to be enabled in MetaX to handle files larger than that.

Honestly, I'd just use Subler for all the tagging... more work but less headache in the end.
the-oz-man

Post by the-oz-man »

Thanks in advance.
fcmarriott,

Have you tried the Windows version of MetaX? I know that would involve flipping back to Windows, but I've found that it's far more stable and it allows HD tagging for iTunes so that would save the second step in Subler.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

the-oz-man wrote:

Thanks in advance.
fcmarriott,

Have you tried the Windows version of MetaX? I know that would involve flipping back to Windows, but I've found that it's far more stable and it allows HD tagging for iTunes so that would save the second step in Subler.
Good point; the Windows port of MetaX utilizes the mp4v2 library that subler uses, whereas the Mac version still uses the old AtomicParsley code, which is known to cause some issues.
fcmarriott

Post by fcmarriott »

fcmarriott,

Good point; the Windows port of MetaX utilizes the mp4v2 library that subler uses, whereas the Mac version still uses the old AtomicParsley code, which is known to cause some issues.
Thanks for the responses. FWIW, the files are not larger than 4 GB, so I don't think that is the issue. I've debated running the SD version through MetaX and getting the metadata that I want, then putting the SD version and the HD version next to each other in separate Subler windows and copying, where appropriate, from the SD to the HD. That will give me flexibility of getting the good metadata, but control over the HD file. Kinda seems like a hassle, but I'm sure either MetaX will fix the problem sooner or later or Subler (or something else) will provide the ability to do a lookup/download from an authoritative source.

Thanks again for the pointers.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

fcmarriott wrote:
fcmarriott,

Thanks for the responses. FWIW, the files are not larger than 4 GB, so I don't think that is the issue. I've debated running the SD version through MetaX and getting the metadata that I want, then putting the SD version and the HD version next to each other in separate Subler windows and copying, where appropriate, from the SD to the HD. That will give me flexibility of getting the good metadata, but control over the HD file. Kinda seems like a hassle, but I'm sure either MetaX will fix the problem sooner or later or Subler (or something else) will provide the ability to do a lookup/download from an authoritative source.

Thanks again for the pointers.
I recently got the BluRay of Talking Heads Stop Making Sense. I've had the standard for a long time now. MetaX can't seem to find data for the HD version, but can find it for the SD version just fine. Because I wanted chapter tracks for the song etc. I tried what you are recommending, exporting the SD Meta data then importing for the HD version. The big downer is that Chapter Titles don't get exported or can't be imported!! I still had to write each one in manually.

Nate
znomorph

Post by znomorph »

First of all, awesome thread, thanks :). And Happy New Year!

A couple of questions:
1. How do you decide which playlist to run through eac3to and tsMuxer? Do you use something like BDInfo? or is it just guess work? I'd hate to guess and get it wrong, since it takes so long compared to a DVD.
2. This might be a dumb question, but what's the point to the meta data? Is it just like IDv3 tags for mp3's? (I'm new to HD ripping, can you tell? I got my blu-ray drive and first blu rays for Christmas)
3. I haven't looked around, and I don't want to upset anyone by asking this, but is difficult to add playlist(mpls) support to HB so you can encode straight from the BD file structure like you can with DVDs and the VIDEO_TS folder? If this is in the works or has been requested already, sorry for bringing it up again. I guess maybe HB would need something tsMuxer under the hood anyway to make it work...anyway, I was just asking out of pure curiosity.

anyway, like I said, thanks for the workflow. I'm in the process of putting together my own(windows only unfortunately) and this has been a great help.
znomorph

Post by znomorph »

More questions :)

So if eac3to creates a chapter file, is there a way to "convert" it to the proper csv format so it can be imported into HB rather than adding an extra step with subler(or mp4chaps in my case on PC)? I realize that for tagging the file, subler(or, again, metaX in my case) would be required. But couldn't HB handle the chapters bit?

While we're on the topic(and assuming it's possible), is there any way to do that through the command line? ClownBD lets you create a batch file instead of running eac3to and tsMuxeR. I was thinking of adding HB(and mp4chaps if necessary) to it so I can just feed my batch file a BDMV folder(ripped with DVDFab), a playlist filename, and a movie name and have it spit out the mp4 on the other side. If I can create the batch file I guess the number of steps become irrelevant outside of time concerns.

This is random and quite possibly not even an issue, but the m2ts file that came out of tsMuxeR(via ClownBD) is a couple minutes short of the reported movie duration in DVDFab as well as RipBot264 when I tried encoding using that. I've got the 15th anniversary edition of Stargate and it reports in at 2h9m and change in DVDFab and RipBot, but only 2h7m and change in HB. I've noticed that VLC can't tell me the duration of the movie when I play the m2ts file, so is the time HB reports off because that meta-data isn't present? If that's the case, i guess that partially answer my question in the previous post about the point of meta-data... If not, am I missing a couple minutes of the movie? Is it possible that when stitching all the m2ts files together into one big one, tsMuxer left one or more out?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and thanks in advance for the help.
znomorph

Post by znomorph »

So I went ahead and tried to encode the m2ts file I got out of ClownBD, and at 0.02% HB CLI crashes and quits. Here's the log.

Code: Select all

### Windows GUI 0.9.4 2009112300 
### Running: Microsoft Windows NT 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 
###
### CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad  CPU   Q9550  @ 2.83GHz 
### Ram: 4093 MB 
### Screen: 1920x1200 
### Temp Dir: C:\Users\Christopher Skelton\AppData\Local\Temp\ 
### Install Dir: C:\Program Files (x86)\HandBrake 
### Data Dir: C:\Users\Christopher Skelton\AppData\Roaming\HandBrake\HandBrake\0.9.4.0 
#########################################

### CLI Query:  -i "G:\Decrypted DVDs\ClownBD files\Remux\ClownBD files.M2TS" -t 1 -c 1 -o "G:\Multimedia\Stargate HD handbrake take 1.mp4" -f mp4 -w 1280 --crop 0:0:0:0 --loose-anamorphic  --decomb -e x264 -q 21 -a 1 -E faac -6 dpl2 -R 48 -B 160 -D 0.0 --markers="C:\Users\Christopher Skelton\AppData\Local\Temp\Stargate HD handbrake take 1-1-chapters.csv" -x ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0 -C 4  -v 1

### User Query: False

#########################################

[03:19:34] hb_init: checking cpu count
[03:19:34] hb_init: starting libhb thread
HandBrake 0.9.4 (2009112300) - MinGW i386 - http://handbrake.fr
4 CPUs detected
Forcing 4 CPUs
Opening G:\Decrypted DVDs\ClownBD files\Remux\ClownBD files.M2TS...
[03:19:34] hb_scan: path=G:\Decrypted DVDs\ClownBD files\Remux\ClownBD files.M2TS, title_index=1
[03:19:34] scan: trying to open with libdvdread
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[03:19:34] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[03:19:34] file is MPEG Transport Stream with 192 byte packets offset 4 bytes
[03:19:34] hb_ts_stream_find_pids - found the following PIDS
[03:19:34]     Video PIDS : 
[03:19:34]       0x1011 type VC1 (0xea)
[03:19:34]     Audio PIDS : 
[03:19:34]       0x1100 type AC-3 (0x81)
[03:19:34]       0x1200 type Unknown (0x90)
[03:19:34]       0x1201 type Unknown (0x90)
[03:19:34] transport stream pid 0x1100 (type 0x81) may be AC-3 audio (id 0x1)
[03:19:34] transport stream pid 0x1200 (type 0x90, substream 0xbd) isn't audio
[03:19:34] transport stream pid 0x1201 (type 0x90, substream 0xbd) isn't audio
[03:19:34] scan: decoding previews for title 1
[03:19:34] scan: audio 0x1: AC-3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=640000 English (AC3) (5.1 ch)
Scanning title 1...
Scanning title 1...
Scanning title 1...
Scanning title 1...
Scanning title 1...
[03:19:35] scan: 10 previews, 1920x1080, 23.976 fps, autocrop = 140/140/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 1:1
[03:19:35] scan: title (0) job->width:1920, job->height:800
[03:19:35] stream: 6 good frames, 0 errors (0%)
[03:19:35] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)
+ title 1:
  + vts 0, ttn 0, cells 0->0 (0 blocks)
  + angle(s) 0
  + duration: 02:07:45
  + size: 1920x1080, pixel aspect: 1/1, display aspect: 1.78, 23.976 fps
  + autocrop: 140/140/0/0
  + chapters:
    + 1: cells 0->0, 0 blocks, duration 02:07:45
  + audio tracks:
    + 1, English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (iso639-2: eng), 48000Hz, 640000bps
  + subtitle tracks:
Reading chapter markers from file C:\Users\Christopher Skelton\AppData\Local\Temp\Stargate HD handbrake take 1-1-chapters.csv
[03:19:35] 1 job(s) to process
[03:19:35] starting job
[03:19:35] job configuration:
[03:19:35]  * source
[03:19:35]    + G:\Decrypted DVDs\ClownBD files\Remux\ClownBD files.M2TS
[03:19:35]    + title 1, chapter(s) 1 to 1
[03:19:35]  * destination
[03:19:35]    + G:\Multimedia\Stargate HD handbrake take 1.mp4
[03:19:35]    + container: MPEG-4 (.mp4 and .m4v)
[03:19:35]      + chapter markers
[03:19:35]  * video track
[03:19:35]    + decoder: vc1
[03:19:35]      + bitrate 200 kbps
[03:19:35]    + frame rate: same as source (around 23.976 fps)
[03:19:35]    + loose anamorphic
[03:19:35]      + modulus: 0
[03:19:35]      + storage dimensions: 1920 * 1080 -> 1280 * 720, crop 0/0/0/0
[03:19:35]      + pixel aspect ratio: 1 / 1
[03:19:35]      + display dimensions: 1280 * 720
[03:19:35]    + filter
[03:19:35]      + Decomb (default settings)
[03:19:35]    + encoder: x264
[03:19:35]      + options: ref=2:bframes=2:subq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0
[03:19:35]      + quality: 21.00 (RF)
[03:19:35]  * audio track 0
[03:19:35]    + decoder: English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (track 1, id 1)
[03:19:35]      + bitrate: 640 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
[03:19:35]    + mixdown: Dolby Pro Logic II
[03:19:35]    + encoder: faac
[03:19:35]      + bitrate: 160 kbps, samplerate: 48000 Hz
libdvdnav: Using dvdnav version 4.1.3
libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
libdvdnav:DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.BUP failed
libdvdread: Can't open file VIDEO_TS.IFO.
libdvdnav: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
[03:19:35] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
[03:19:35] reader: first SCR 53955000 id 0 DTS 53996246
[03:19:35] yadif thread started for segment 0
[03:19:35] yadif thread started for segment 1
[03:19:35] yadif thread started for segment 2
[03:19:35] yadif thread started for segment 3
[03:19:35] decomb thread started for segment 0
[03:19:35] decomb thread started for segment 1
[03:19:35] decomb thread started for segment 2
[03:19:35] decomb thread started for segment 3
[03:19:35] encx264: keyint-min: 24, keyint-max: 240
[03:19:35] encx264: encoding with stored aspect 1/1
[03:19:35] encx264: Encoding at constant RF 21.000000
x264 [info]: using SAR=1/1
x264 [info]: using cpu capabilities: MMX2 SSE2Fast SSSE3 FastShuffle SSE4.1 Cache64
x264 [info]: profile Main, level 3.1
No accelerated IMDCT transform found
[03:19:35] sync: expecting 183820 video frames
[03:19:35] sync: first pts is 3754

any ideas? Thanks in advance
mduell
Veteran User

Post by mduell »

znomorph wrote:So I went ahead and tried to encode the m2ts file I got out of ClownBD, and at 0.02% HB CLI crashes and quits. Here's the log.

As has been repeated many times on this forum, Handbrake does not support interlaced VC-1 input because there's no open source interlaced VC-1 decoder.
znomorph

Post by znomorph »

mduell wrote:
znomorph wrote:So I went ahead and tried to encode the m2ts file I got out of ClownBD, and at 0.02% HB CLI crashes and quits. Here's the log.

As has been repeated many times on this forum, Handbrake does not support interlaced VC-1 input because there's no open source interlaced VC-1 decoder.
I apologize. I've read that several times, as you pointed out. I read through the log and saw that, but didn't put two and two together. Is there any way to fix it? I seem to remember reading something about that(was is BDrebuilder or something like that?). I'll dig around, but if anyone knows off the top of their head, I'd be grateful. Again sorry for the n00b mistake.
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

Znomorph, what version of Stargate are you trying to convert? I had no problem converting this from BluRay via AnyDVD HD > ClownBD > Handbrake. I have the original disc that first came out well over a year ago, I know there is a new one late last year.

Nate
znomorph

Post by znomorph »

I have the 15th anniversary edition. I was able to get it to work by running it through BD Rebuilder(which took FOREVER). The file that came out of BD Rebuilder was also a few minutes shorter when it got into HB(2h4m instead of 2h9m) even after BD Rebuilder found the track that was 2h9m long. Again, I don't know if that's because there is some meta data missing due to the whole process. But I did run it through HB just fine.

On a somewhat unrelated note, with loose anamorphic turned on and cropping set to 0 for everything. I can set the width to 1280 and get 1280x720 which is what I would expect to get. However, if I do the same for 1920, I get 1934x1088 as the resultant display size. Not a big deal, because strict works just fine(or I can just turn it off), but I thought it was odd...
mkelley
Bright Spark User

Post by mkelley »

I'm using a much simpler workflow here -- just taking the largest MT2S file and running it through Handbrake, which has worked fine for the four movies I've tried so far (G.I. Joe being one of them). I passthrough the DTS because my target isn't Apple TV (I'm creating MKVs to use with WDTV).

So far, so good -- and yet now I've got a Disney BD with what appears to be multiple MT2S streams that comprise the main movie. In trying to read through this thread (and forgive me, but it's long and goes off into tangents that don't concern me so difficult to keep in focus) I see others are using something called ClownBD... except that in reading the threads on the Slysoft forum it appears that won't work with DTS unless you pay for codecs (which I don't need as I'm just passing things through and don't WANT to convert anything). So as usual I'm confused here.

Can I still use ClownBD just to combine the MT2S streams into a single one I can feed into HB without paying for any codecs? And exactly how? (The thread on using it confused me more than ever, as it seems to be assuming you are trying to get sub titles, or chapters, or all sorts of things I don't need/want). Or is there another way to combine multiple streams to feed into HB properly?

TIA for any help (I'm getting there... slowly).
nathug
Bright Spark User

Post by nathug »

ClownBD will combine the files into one .m2ts, you just have to highlight the version you want, this is done on the screen which looks like a Text file after the first scan of the BluRay file set. The one you want is usually the set with the lower numbers, one why I have found is to look at the file set numbers, then use VLC to check the correct ones. Mostly, like Disney its because some scenes are redone with Spanish Text etc. Once you know the correct file set, just highlight it before continuing. Then when you get to the screen with all the Video and Audio files, just select the Audio you want to keep and don't select an option to convert it to AC3, Core or DTS, choose the one you want. It then will leave the Audio in the file you create as is.

Hope that helps

Nate

ClownBD works so far with all Video and Audio files on BluRay discs, I have not had to pay a single penny.
gonzus

Post by gonzus »

Thanks to everyone who posted on this thread; after some days of studying, I am now encoding my first BluRay movie. I wanted to share my workflow with you, because it seems (to me) to be easier (although it is 100% Windows). My goal is to convert a BluRay movie into an MKV file with H.264 video, sound tracks (AC3 for the originals, AAC for director's comments), subtitles (at least English and Spanish) and chapter markers; I will play this MKV file with XBMC running on a regular computer. Anyway, here is what I do:
  • Rip the movie with DVDFab HD Decrypter (http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm). During this step I keep the main movie and select the sound tracks and subtitles I wish to keep. This way, the next step (with ClownBD) is much shorter, because I already have a single, proper m2ts file.
  • Use ClownBD (http://www.clownbd.com/) to extract ONLY two things: the chapter information into Chapters_1.txt, and the subtitles into several SUP files.
  • Use BDSup2Sub (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=145277) to convert each SUP file into a SUB/IDX pair of files. This conversion is automatic and involves no OCR or manual retyping of anything.
  • Use Handbrake (I assume you don't need a pointer for this) to encode the main movie under the High Profile. Keep the desired soundtracks but add NO subtitles (it will not be possible anyway, Handbrake cannot currently work with subtitles from a BluRay disk) and add NO chapter information (it is disabled anyway). This step will take several hours.
  • Use mkvmerge (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoo ... loads.html) to open the MKV file created with Handbrake. Add to this the Chapters_1.txt file created with ClownBD, and add all the IDX files created with BDSup2Sub.
That's it. I end up with a nice MKV that has all the attributes I wanted. Each part of this workflow worked pretty well for me, right now I am using the whole thing for the first time. I will report back in a couple of hours, when everything is finished.

I also do a little editing of Chapters_1.txt if I wish to incorporate chapter names. I tried using Chapter Grabber (http://jvance.com/pages/ChapterGrabber.xhtml) for this, but I have never been able to retrieve any chapter names from the Internet with this tool. So, I usually just visit Barnes and Noble, copy the chapter names from there and use a simple script to merge them into Chapters_1.txt.

I guess some items for my Handbrake wish list, according to this workflow, would be:
  • Ability to parse and understand a BluRay disk structure, not just an m2ts file.
  • Ability to fetch the chapter information out of a BluRay disk structure.
  • Ability to convert SUP files into SUB/IDX files, so that Handbrake can work directly with BluRay subtitles.
Hope this helps. Best regards.
gonzus

Post by gonzus »

I just finished the whole process for my first movie. It worked perfectly: I ended up with a single MKV, weighing 5.85 GB, which includes the main soundtrack (AC3), director's comments (AAC) and both English and Spanish (soft) subtitles. I used the mkvmerge header editor (Ctrl-E) to add / fix the language, name and default values for some of the tracks. I am really happy!

Just FYI: the full original BluRay disk was 30.4 GB, the original main movie was 24.1 GB.
ddf200

Post by ddf200 »

Gonzus, thanks for sharing your workflow and results. I've also been experimenting with workflow with the goal to minimize the number of times I would need to transcode/extract/merge on my way to creating a usable ATV m4v file. I've almost got it working except for some annoying audio issues (below).

My minimum requirements for ATV compatible output are (for the purists, some of this will probably fall short):

* 1280 output
* 24 fps (or same as source)
* AC3, AAC

Assuming the movie is English, I don't worry about subtitles or non-english audio for the final output.
I'm not concerned about final size of m4v.
I don't worry about chapters.

My workflow is:

* use makeMKV to rip the BD disc. I uncheck all extra content (per above) and focus on english audio tracks. I do include DTS, AC3, 2 channel and English subtitles.
* use PopCorn MKV AudioConverter to convert DTS to AC3 when no AC3 is included
* use HB to convert mkv to m4v with AC3 and AAC audio output

In all cases, the video quality has been at or above expected quality levels. I'm really happy with how well HB performs.

Audio Problems
There are 2 issues that may occur depending on the disc and the included original audio encoding after HB completes is pass:
1) A narration track is included with AC3. The narration that's included is describing what is occurring on screen when there is no dialogue from the actors (useful for the visually impaired). Most recently occurred on Five Hundred Days of Summer. Popcorn MKV was not used - just MakeMKV and HB.
2) Noise (popping/static) added to new AC3 track and minor dropouts. If the disc did not include AC3, Popcorn MKV is used to add a 'DTS to AC3' converted audio track. I end up with a second mkv file that HB uses and then includes the AC3 track in the final output of the m4v. MakeMKV, Popcorn MKV and HB are part of this workflow.

In both cases, the AAC track is perfect.

Any help appreciated in understanding how to overcome this. Is there a simple fix in HB for the audio issues without having to introduce yet another utility or program to overcome the noise or the narration audio?

Thanks!
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

ddf200 wrote:Any help appreciated in understanding how to overcome this. Is there a simple fix in HB for the audio issues without having to introduce yet another utility or program to overcome the noise or the narration audio?
Please open a new thread about these issues and provide the encode logs for the encodes where there are issues.