Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
ysminson

Re: Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Post by ysminson »

Thank you for the great app, Ritsuka !! I used it to add subtitles to almost all my .mp4 movies.
Recently, I encountered a problem that I think you might help me with.

I have a collection of .mp4 movies with subtitles encoded in UTF-8 (added with Subler, of course). All these movies play fine in QT 7.6 and iTunes 8.1.1. And I can turn on and off the subtitle tracks as I want. However, when I sync (or stream) them to the Apple TV, I cannot turn on the subtitles. I set Closed Captioning to standard. But nothing happened except a brief beep when I pressed and hold play/pause during the movie. No caption/OSD whatsoever is displayed. I tried factory restore and updated to 2.3.1. Still no luck. Also googled around and found nothing.

Now, I'm officially stuck. Do you have any clue on this one?
I know that this is probably not a Subler related problem. Just hoping that you might know one thing or two on the subtitle issues with the ATV. Thank you in advance.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Closed Captions and Subtitles are two separate things. If you want to enable the subtitles on the atv you should press the play button for some seconds while playing a movie.
ysminson

Post by ysminson »

Ritsuka wrote:Closed Captions and Subtitles are two separate things. If you want to enable the subtitles on the atv you should press the play button for some seconds while playing a movie.
I did press and hold play/pause for long enough during the movie. But nothing happened except a brief beep (and the light in the front of the ATV is off while the play button is held) as if there weren't any subtitle tracks. I cannot even troubleshoot the problem since there isn't any system log file/message in the ATV...
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Then probably it's because your files have the .mp4 extension and not .m4v. If you want subtitles and other things in QuickTime you really need to rename them to .m4v.
ysminson

Post by ysminson »

Ritsuka, thank you very much!
It finally worked with the .m4v extension. I would never figure this out myself without your tip !!

The thing is, subtitles work just fine in QT and iTunes with BOTH the .mp4 and .m4v.
But they only work with the .m4v extension on the ATV!! The reason is still mysterious for me...

Anyway, problem finally solved :D
mvest20

Post by mvest20 »

I apologize for not being nearly as advanced as many users that have posted on this forum, but I have a question that I have not been able to get answered. I have an Apple TV, an iPhone, and a 5G Classic that I would like to be able to view a movie on. I realize for the best quality I need to use the Apple Universal preset, and then also the iPod Legacy in order to have an iPod friendly version. I am at this point already. The only problem is, because of my extreme OCD I cannot stand having two copies of the same movie in iTunes. I was told Subler could help me solve this issue, so I combined the two files using the program, once using the HD option, and again without it. Unfortunately, when I put the files created by Subler into iTunes, my 5G classic still tells me that the file format is incompatible. Is there a major step along the way that I am missing? Just to clarify, I have two sets of folders on my desktop, one of Apple Universal copies and another with iPod Legacy copies of the same movies. I use the add file option in Subler to put both versions into one file, then save that file to a third folder. That file gets imported into iTunes, but still my 5G does not find it's compatible file when I attempt to sync it. I am clearly doing something wrong, but I cannot figure out what. Any suggestions? I appreciate any help in advance, and apologize again for my inability to figure this out.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You should use the cnID tag if you want to combine files in iTunes. You will still have two separate file, but iTunes will see it as one if the cnID is the same.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

0.9a2 is out with a few improvements to the metadata tableview and cc supports. I don't know how well closed captions from .scc file are imported, I had only a 5 line file to test :lol: .
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Glad to see subler update itself. Feature request: Changelog in the help menu. Thanks again.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

cvk_b wrote:Glad to see subler update itself. Feature request: Changelog in the help menu. Thanks again.
It's there... right under the help in the help menu. :D

Seriously though, great little app you've got there Ritsuka. Thanks again.
belloq
Bright Spark User

Post by belloq »

Ritsuka wrote:0.9a2 is out with a few improvements to the metadata tableview and cc supports. I don't know how well closed captions from .scc file are imported, I had only a 5 line file to test :lol: .
Dang! You went and added so many features and fixed most of the reported "issues." I'm so happy right now about the "macro sets" to populate many favorite-type items! This was my biggest want, and now it's here. I apologize for not seeing the request you posted on the request about a suggested list for the sets. I think what you've got will work fine. (The only way I can see it be better is to have an interface to create custom sets and define exactly which tags get added for each set.)

It's so darn useful, I am going to Donate.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

New version 0.9.1 up with few changes… mainly some new tags ,cast, director, codirector, producer, screenwriter and rating. Rating is limited to us rating at the moment. I plan to expand it in the next release.

Oh and Undo support when you edit/add/remove tags, no more lost work if you accidentally delete everything :lol:
guyesinho

Post by guyesinho »

Thanks Ritsuka for this great tool...
I have a question, is there a way to make the subtitles show at the bottom of the screen in the ipod classic?
All the movies I add subtitles to, show perfectly in iTunes and QuickTime, but in my iPod classic they show in the upper part...
Maybe it is the way the classic works and I'm not aware of it, if it is, then sorry for this post...
Once again, thanks a lot and congratulations for this great work!!!
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Wow subler has improved lots :D

Now I no longer need MetaX :D
PluueeR

Post by PluueeR »

@guyesinho, I have the same issue. I have a movie which mp4box doesn't pick (subs are on the bottom on the iPod Classic). But with Subler they are on top. Hope it can be fixed.
lucamark

Post by lucamark »

Wonderful app! Thank you so much! One thing: no .ass and txt chapter (quicktime) integration? Thak you so much!
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

I don't know that .[Censored] might be. :?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Oh, a s s. Probably in a next version. But obviously it will remove all the styles/karaoke effects/others.
I've got ssa from matroska conversion (we are currently working on matroska remuxing right now). But nothing for external ssa files yet.
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

You could always use an external app to handle the format conversion... I believe that Jubler (no relation ;)) will convert Advanced SubStation to SRT.

http://www.jubler.org/
lucamark

Post by lucamark »

Yes, i ve used jubler yet, and subcleaner for multiline subs. LoL i didn t know that "a s s" censored. Well, a very good product, also i ve tried add a QT txt chapters index with time markers but is not recognized. Any ideas to make chapters marks?

PS: i apologize for my bad english :(
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The chapters format are described in the wiki on the subler site.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

0.9.3 is out with some kind of mkv -> mp4 remuxing.
Remuxable formats: h.264, aac, ac-3, ssa/as s, srt.

It may be slow for large files, but in my test it works quite well.
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Ritsuka wrote:0.9.3 is out with some kind of mkv -> mp4 remuxing.

Let's not forget a major new feature: an application icon! (which si really nice to have, as Subler now looks less silly in the Dock)
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Ritsuka wrote:0.9.3 is out with some kind of mkv -> mp4 remuxing.

Sounds great, going to try it out now :D

Ritsuka I must say you have made some great progress with Subler and we thank you for it :D
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Ritsuka, thank you very much for subler ! It is an excellent application, and it is getting better and better. The only thing I miss currently is a IMDB/tagChimp import function that would fill the Movie template automatically.