Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
dynaflash
Veteran User

Re: Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Post by dynaflash »

uses libmp4v2 instead of a bastardized atomic parsley ( note, the same mp4 muxer hb uses and really spawned).
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

I actually have confidence again when it comes to tagging previously tagged movies. Actually, I have more confidence now using this than changing a tag in iTunes using iTunes.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Any chance we could get a toolbar icon and/or keyboard shortcut, that will perform a Save, Optimize, and Send to iTunes in one step?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Ritsuka figured you wouldn't want to send to iTunes on each save. So I did it as a separate menu item.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Hey,

I seem to be getting errors when I try and add a .SRT I made for Les Femmes de l'ombre :( when I convert it from .ASS to .SRT it muxes in but it has errors (the .SRT not the muxing) and when I fix the spelling mistakes and remux I can longer seem to get it to mux which I am finding rather weird, only reason I can think of is that it has French characters in it but I also tried to add it as if it was French but it still said it could not be muxed :(

Is there anyway I can get this to mux in? Some of the characters are like this, é, ê and ü.

Northy

Edit: It was an encoding error :)
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Northy wrote:Hey,

I seem to be getting errors when I try and add a .SRT I made for Les Femmes de l'ombre :( when I convert it from .ASS to .SRT it muxes in but it has errors (the .SRT not the muxing) and when I fix the spelling mistakes and remux I can longer seem to get it to mux which I am finding rather weird, only reason I can think of is that it has French characters in it but I also tried to add it as if it was French but it still said it could not be muxed :(

Is there anyway I can get this to mux in? Some of the characters are like this, é, ê and ü.

Northy

Edit: It was an encoding error :)
Characters like è, é, ü, ö, ä are not an issue. Maybe if you can post your SRT file I can have a look at it.
Da Man
Bright Spark User

Post by Da Man »

Ritsuka-One quick question. When I open most movies that were previously tagged with other taggers, some of them have the chapters box ticked at the top of the app. Typically any movie I tag that was generated by Handbrake opens initially with the movie and the AAC track checked, and the AC3 track and the chapters track unchecked? Does this matter? Also, while this is probably just a coincidence, these movies take much longer when I save the file after making changes, usually in the 20-30 second range, whereas the average movie without the chapter box ticked, takes anywhere from 3-5 seconds max.

The reason I ask is that I was hesitent to retag a movie with MetaX do to a mystery bug that would occasionally corrupt the file. One of the above mentioned films with the chapter box ticked, I closed without altering, opened with MetaX, tagged then saved. Corrupted worse than a U.N. aid organization. While it may have been and most likely was a coincidence, it got me to thinking what the meaning of the ticked boxes were in the grand scheme of things, and the effect of ticking multiple boxes and combinations thereof....

Thanks in advance and great program!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Has anyone else had any problems with the release date tag not appearing correctly when imported into iTunes after saving/optimizing a file in Subler .9.5?

Specifically, if I set the release date to "2010-03-01", it will show up in iTunes (using list view) as "2/28/10". Did something change with the date format recently as I don't remember running into this issue in the past.
ccjensen

Post by ccjensen »

Fantastic news that sublercli now can do other tags. What would the syntax be to set the Long Description?
great work, Ritsuka!
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Mm something like:
-t "{Long Description:Blabla ablablasbe fasfef}"
Deleted User 11865

Post by Deleted User 11865 »

Ritsuka wrote:"{Long Description:Blabla ablablasbe fasfef}"
What kind of movie is that? :D
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

It looks similar to what my cat types when he tries to sleep on my macbook :lol:
ccjensen

Post by ccjensen »

EPIC :D
TedJ
Veteran User

Post by TedJ »

I'm holding out for Blabla ablablasbe fasfef 2: Electric Boogaloo. :P
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Btw, I would love some feedback on this new beta: http://drop.io/sublerbeta/asset/subler-beta-zip
There is a new feature to add a jpeg track with chapters image, like the on in the file sold on iTunes. It must be enabled in the preferences.
jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

Sounds like a great feature. Looking forward to trying it out.

Drop.io seems to be down for the weekend, though, so I can't download it. :(
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

jamiemlaw
Veteran User

Post by jamiemlaw »

First impressions are good. I spent the longest time trying to get the chapter images to show up in QuickTime X, but evidently QTX doesn't support them (I checked "Office Space", which I bought off iTunes). All works well on my iPhone though.

I don't suppose there's a way to choose the pictures that get used? Either I imagine it's coming soon, or I'm doing something stupid.
omni

Post by omni »

gave the beta of Subler a try real quick. The jpeg track with chapter images looks great on appleTV and iPhone. Great work so far!

dumb question: the check box to have items enabled or not, what does that actually do?
adavison

Post by adavison »

Hi I am new to this blog stuff and I have a question related to your Subler application. I was told that my question was out of context with the blog, yet reading all nine pages it seems to be 100% inline, how do I get to ask the question about using your application for SD (Standard Definition) M4V files?

Long story short, I see the new version of Subler has "scaled Size" setting, can this help me have a movie file that can play both the Apple TV and iPhone instead of having two versions?

thanks

PS if this is not allowed ot be posted can you help me understand why? I did read the rules...
Deleted User 11865

Oh, that was a Subler question? Sounded more like a HandBrake question (which it should be, since Subler can do nothing to affect iPhone compatibility of a file, except remux compatible H.264+AAC streams from MOV or MKV to MP4).

As I said, if yu use HandBrake, use the Universal preset. Once the video is encoded outside of the iPhone's specifications, there's nothing you can do except reencode. Subler can't help you with that.
adavison

Post by adavison »

Hi Thanks for the response,

I don;t think I was explaining myself very well, I do think the majority of my input and questions are about this great Subler application.

I believe my question may be two parts though, 1 about subler and maybe 1 about handbrake (not asking for this to be handled here) depending on the answer to the 1st question.

If the only way to have a movie file in high SD quality that will work on both Apple TV and iPhone is to have two separate files, lets say one in 720x438 and the other for iphone at 640x360, can subler link these files together so only one is shown in iTunes, in a similar way to the HD and SD linking using the CNID? If this is the only way can it be done without one being shown as HD as this is not the case?

The other question is I am confused as to how the iTunes movies I download work on both Apple TV and iPhone when the resolution is higher than the supported iphone 640x360, this is why I thought the Scaler setting in Subler may help? can I also ask what is the scaling feature for?

Love the app, have been using it lots for updating files, just need to work out if 2 into 1 goes for SD ATV and SD iPhone in the same way that Subler does it for HD and SD?

Thanks in advance, I will be using this app lots, would be great if it could resolve this issue I have
Deleted User 11865

adavison wrote:If the only way to have a movie file in high SD quality that will work on both Apple TV and iPhone is to have two separate files, lets say one in 720x438 and the other for iphone at 640x360, can subler link these files together so only one is shown in iTunes, in a similar way to the HD and SD linking using the CNID? If this is the only way can it be done without one being shown as HD as this is not the case?
This can indeed be done usign Subler. Search the forum for CNID, there are several topics on the subject. The larger version will be marked as HD though, even though it's not really HD. AFAIK this is the only ay to achieve this.
The other question is I am confused as to how the iTunes movies I download work on both Apple TV and iPhone when the resolution is higher than the supported iphone 640x360, this is why I thought the Scaler setting in Subler may help? can I also ask what is the scaling feature for?
All that matters for iPhone compatibility is storage resolution (to chnage the sotrage res., you need to reencode). Subler can only chnage display resolution, which has no effect on compatibility. Iif the movie is not iPhone-compatible to begin with, it has to be reencoded. Subler cannot do that.
Love the app, have been using it lots for updating files, just need to work out if 2 into 1 goes for SD ATV and SD iPhone in the same way that Subler does it for HD and SD?
There's no need to do that.
  • According to Apple's official specs, the iPhone supports resolutions up to 640x480, not 640x360. Since it also supports anamorphic, you can make a 640x480 video that displays in 16:9 aspect ratio (which is what Apple does for their iTunes Store videos, IIRC).
  • Apple's officiel specs are overly conservative. The iPhone supports H.264 Baseline Profile with resolutions up to 720x576 (framerate up to 25 fps) or up to 720x480 (framerate up to 30 fps).

Just use the Universal preset and create one SD file that's compatible with both the iPhone and AppleTV, while maintaining the full DVD resolution like the AppleTV preset does - that's the whole point of the preset.

If you have the more capable iPhone 3GS that supports High Profile H.264, you can even use the AppleTV preset instead (though you'll have to downscale HD sources to 720 pixels wide as the preset doesn't do this automatically, unlike the Universal preset).
adavison

Post by adavison »

Many thanks, this information is jut what I needed, thank you so much.

Last Question, anyway to re encode from the file already encoded to save me diggin through all my DVDs again?
Deleted User 11865

adavison wrote:Last Question, anyway to re encode from the file already encoded to save me diggin through all my DVDs again?
Assuming the AppleTV SD version isn't compatible with your iPhone (i.e you have an older iPhone), you can just open that in HandBrake and use the Universal preset. That being said, you'll get better results (higher quality) if you go back to the DVD source.

Also, I should add that files encoded using the Universal preset tend to be larger than files created with the AppleTV preset (in order to maintain compatibility with iPhones and recent iPods, the Universal preset drops some H.264 features that improve compression efficiency). That's not always the case though, and of course the new file will still be smaller than both old files combined.