Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
yayster

Re: Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Post by yayster »

Ritsuka wrote:You will need at least a 0.4.6 version of mp4box. Or you could change the handler of the subtitle track from sbtl to text, and then extract the subtitles. You can do it with dumpster.
When checking mp4box from source forge, I get version 0.4.5 whether checked out via CVS or just downloaded directly.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

belloq wrote:Because I want a template that has all the tags I would have to otherwise manually add for a TV episode. Track # and Disk # are two such tracks. I previously submitted a request on the Google code site to have a macro be available to add mulitple tags at once for different media: a TV episode needs 10+ tags, a movie needs slightly less. Adding 13 tags manually to a file every time I add an episode is a PITA.
You could try to use Tagger.
[/advertisement]
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Can somebody help ? I am trying to get subtitles work using Subler, but there is nothing to be seen when I use iTunes or Quicktime. The movie is encoded with a very recent HB dev Build as a .m4v, it has AC3+AAC and a chapter track and is 1280x528 in resolution. I have added the chapters and the subtitles using Subler importing from a .srt. The .srt file works perfectly when I load the movie with VLC and the .srt is in the same directory. What can I be doing wrong ?

Id = 5, Name: Subtitle Track, Duration 0:00:00:00, Language: english, Format: 3GPP Text

Normal size 1280x60, scaled size 1280x60, offset 0 x 468, alternate group: 2
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Upload the srt file somewhere so I can take a look at it.
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Ritsuka wrote:Upload the srt file somewhere so I can take a look at it.
http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/313966/twbb.srt

Thank you for your help.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The last line has a wrong timestamp:
02:30:50,417 --> 00:00:00,4294967295
I'm finished.

This cause a negative duration. I should add a check for this :|
In the meanwhile you can fix your srt :P
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Ritsuka wrote:The last line has a wrong timestamp:
02:30:50,417 --> 00:00:00,4294967295
I'm finished.

This cause a negative duration. I should add a check for this :|
In the meanwhile you can fix your srt :P
I saw this an hour ago and fixed it, but it still show 00:00:00 ... and still no subtitles. It was encoded with Suprip. There might be other like this in the file, maybe a check wouldn't be a good idea.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Well I changed it to 02:30:53,417 and it worked…
jbjoret
Enlightened

Post by jbjoret »

Ritsuka wrote:Well I changed it to 02:30:53,417 and it worked…
Weird, after removing the remaining blanks at the end of the file, it worked for me too. Thanks.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

yayster wrote:
Ritsuka wrote:You will need at least a 0.4.6 version of mp4box. Or you could change the handler of the subtitle track from sbtl to text, and then extract the subtitles. You can do it with dumpster.
When checking mp4box from source forge, I get version 0.4.5 whether checked out via CVS or just downloaded directly.
You can find a recent precompiled version of mp4box on http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/research/evalvid/.
kiran_mk2
Novice

Post by kiran_mk2 »

Sorry if this is a really stupid question - what does "optimize" do? I clicked save and subtitles became active in itunes and on the AppleTV, so what difference to optimising do?
eduo

Post by eduo »

I'm facing a similar problem with compilation clashing with an existing MP4V2 installation (I believe).

Also, the CLI won't be updated in Binary form? The binary is much older than the existing code.

I understood the CLI couldn't be made multiplatform. Is this right?
kvaruni
Novice

Post by kvaruni »

kiran_mk2 wrote:Sorry if this is a really stupid question - what does "optimize" do? I clicked save and subtitles became active in itunes and on the AppleTV, so what difference to optimising do?
If I understand correctly, optimize rearranges the location of the meta-tags. I have not yet seen any different while using the AppleTV, but if someone else connects to my shared library from another Mac, the effect is far more pronounced. Since tags seem to be added to the end with a normal save, the file needs to be transmitted entirely to the other Mac before it can read info concerning the subtitles and other additional information. After this subtitle information is received, the file needs to be transmitted again and now it starts playing the movie with the subtitles overlayed. After optimizing, the subtitle information seems to be lcoated at the front of the file and the movie playback can start instantaneously -- and with subtitles.

So forgive me if I am wrong on the technicalities, but in my experience it has to do with the location of the meta data which is important for a number of applications, such as sharing an iTunes library to other Macs.
eduo

Post by eduo »

kvaruni wrote:
kiran_mk2 wrote:Sorry if this is a really stupid question - what does "optimize" do? I clicked save and subtitles became active in itunes and on the AppleTV, so what difference to optimising do?
If I understand correctly, optimize rearranges the location of the meta-tags. I have not yet seen any different while using the AppleTV, but if someone else connects to my shared library from another Mac, the effect is far more pronounced. Since tags seem to be added to the end with a normal save, the file needs to be transmitted entirely to the other Mac before it can read info concerning the subtitles and other additional information. After this subtitle information is received, the file needs to be transmitted again and now it starts playing the movie with the subtitles overlayed. After optimizing, the subtitle information seems to be lcoated at the front of the file and the movie playback can start instantaneously -- and with subtitles.

So forgive me if I am wrong on the technicalities, but in my experience it has to do with the location of the meta data which is important for a number of applications, such as sharing an iTunes library to other Macs.
While this makes sense I'd be surprised a file needs to be read completely to read the end. I'd assume modern filesystems allow for more flexibility than that but I could be wrong.

This option doesn't appear in the CLI, so I hadn't noticed it.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

It doesn't rearrange just the "meta-tags" it moves the root MOOV atom to the top of the file and interleaves all samples.
eduo

Post by eduo »

Ritsuka wrote:
yayster wrote:
You can find a recent precompiled version of mp4box on http://www.tkn.tu-berlin.de/research/evalvid/.
Has anyone actually tested successfully mp4box with this change? I have to say I can't imagine how anyone would recommend this having actually used it.

If you try to insert an .SRT directly it'll make it almost as big as the video (I know what the documentation says). If you try to convert to ttxt first and adjut the sizes manually then they are closer to what they should but the second problem with MP4Box surfaces: Subtitles can only be selected in iTunes but not in the iPhone/iPod Touch.

I'm guessing there's still something to be done in MP4Box, some atom missing or something, to make the subtitles visible (or selectable, even) in the iPod Touch, but I can't imagine what it is.

Has anyone actually been able to make subtitles selectable (and thus optional) in MP4s in the iPhone/iPod Touch using MP4Box?

I need to know since I need CLI tools for this and SublerCLI only works under OSX, so I'd still need MP4Box for Linux and Windows.
kvaruni
Novice

Post by kvaruni »

jbrjake wrote:It doesn't rearrange just the "meta-tags" it moves the root MOOV atom to the top of the file and interleaves all samples.
Thank you for clarifying!
eduo wrote:While this makes sense I'd be surprised a file needs to be read completely to read the end. I'd assume modern filesystems allow for more flexibility than that but I could be wrong.

This option doesn't appear in the CLI, so I hadn't noticed it.
I guess that the problem is not so much the filesystem, but more the sharing protocol (DAAP) that is used in iTunes. For example, if you watch a movie on Apple TV that is being streamed from another Mac where the synced library is located, then you can fast forward, skip chapters and so on. However when sharing the same iTunes library to other Macs, you loose these abilities. It seems to be only possible to fast forward at the speed that the network can transmit the file.
RickS

Post by RickS »

Hi.

I have a little problem with subbler.

I made a .mp4 file with handbrake 0.9.3 that have two audio track English and Italian.
With subbler i added two subtitle track .srt file.
All worked great, QuickTime can play the file and i can change the audio and subitlte track from English to Italian with the quicktime submenu.
BUT, when i play the file with QuickTime, QuickTime use the english track as default audio track, and the English, subtitle for the subtitle track, instead I want that quicktime use the italian tracks, audio and subtitle, for the default audio ad subtitle track.

How can i in subler set the default audio and subtitle track from english to italian ?

Thanks.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

You can't. QuickTime uses the default language of your user, if the language in system preference is set to English it will always chooses English.
RickS

Post by RickS »

Ritsuka wrote:You can't. QuickTime uses the default language of your user, if the language in system preference is set to English it will always chooses English.
Ok.

But if I save the .mp4 as .mov i can set the default language, I tried and it works
So, is it a limit of the .mp4 container ?

Thanks.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

If your tracks are in an alternate group it won't work even in mov.
MBN

Post by MBN »

I have been having problems recently with the subtitles being cut off. does anyone know how to fix this. :shock:
Kilokahn

Post by Kilokahn »

Ritsuka wrote:I wrote a small app to mux subtitles into mp4.
http://code.google.com/p/subler/
Ritsuka,

I myself have been working on the PC side of things trying to get Muxing of the iPod down to a science. However, you are a few steps ahead of me, so I am asking for some help on how you achieved what you have achieved. Here is what I have so far: http://chriskewl.livejournal.com/106340.html

Soft Subtitles are the key for many of us HoH, I like Subtitles when I can't hear but when I can I don't always like them. So my method uses Yamb (mp4box Gui) along with Dumpster. Yes, it's not 100% perfect but it does the job. Please check out the URL.

Now here is my problem, along with many other people trying to use this in Quicktime or iTunes, the subtitles tend to be extremely large and not readable. I assume the issue has to be with SRT and the conversion of TTXT (3GPP). Can you give me the iTunes/Quicktime markup subtitle code so that I can use to make a utility to convert SRTs to it?

Thanks!

Chris
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

The problem is that the subtitles track height is too high. There are some useful information on http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t ... =sbtl+yamb
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Ritsuka wrote:0.4.6 version of mp4box.
Could you tell me where mp4box is as Google only gives me the Windows version :(