Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Subler (like Muxo, maybe better?)

Post by Ritsuka »

There is an hard limit of 1024 character, but QuickTime will display only what fit in the length of two line.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

nightstrm wrote:I imported an SRT using Subler to a recent HB encode, and noticed that iTunes/QT doesn't seem to display three-line subtitle blocks. The AppleTV seems to by combining lines 2+3. Does this go along with what others are seeing, and is there a way to make these display properly in iTunes?
btw SubCleaner does this automatically (splitting, that is): http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Word-Proce ... aner.shtml. it's an indispensable part of my SRT workflow.

EDIT: BTW Ritsuka I cannot thank you enough -- this has cut 3 steps out of my tagging workflow, and they were the most time consuming and boring parts
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

New version (0.7b) is now available :)

New feature:
Chapter name editing,
basic tags editing.

http://subler.googlecode.com/files/Subler-0.7b.zip
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

How does saving work when I am just editing a track name?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Probably it will just rewrite the moov atom at the end of the file. Or move it to the end if it is at the beginning.
cvk_b
Veteran User

Post by cvk_b »

Ritsuka wrote:Probably it will just rewrite the moov atom at the end of the file. Or move it to the end if it is at the beginning.
So I should be re-optimizing?
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

If you don't want any unused bit yes.
downinitjr

Post by downinitjr »

Wonder if anyone else has seen this yet. I have a few .m4v files that I had muxed subtitles into using muxo. I have tried to use subler to remove the subtitle track that was added with muxo, then re-add the original .srt file back using subler. The file plays in itunes, but crashes my TV.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

downinitjr wrote:Wonder if anyone else has seen this yet. I have a few .m4v files that I had muxed subtitles into using muxo. I have tried to use subler to remove the subtitle track that was added with muxo, then re-add the original .srt file back using subler. The file plays in itunes, but crashes my TV.
Huh...you should upload a sample if you can.
hsz76

Post by hsz76 »

Thanks for developing this tool, I just tried to add English and Chinese subtitle in my movie, and I got several questions:

1. How to change the font and font size? the format->font-"show fonts" dialog doesn't work, is that correct that I can only change the fontsize by changing the height in adding track dialog?

2. The language name of "simplified chinese" doesn't work, maybe it is too long? every time I select "simplified chinese", I will get an "unknown" track after saving the file. maybe "Chinese" is enough to cover both traditional chinese and simplified chinese.

3. How to change the subtitle position in the screen? I can only get it on the bottom of my video, is there any way to adjust it? The menu format->text are all grey.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

1) You can't.
2) Fixed :)
3) I will add some controls for video size and position in the next version. But the appletv and ipod ignores them too.
hsz76

Post by hsz76 »

Ritsuka wrote:1) You can't.
2) Fixed :)
3) I will add some controls for video size and position in the next version. But the appletv and ipod ignores them too.
wow, really fast response, thanks :)
astroboy

Post by astroboy »

Hello there,

I would really love a command line version, that would allow me to integrate it with a scripted workflow,
That's one thing that I requested to Muxo's developer Entropic, along with several other people.

For some reason, he seemed to ignore this request though...
peterjcat
Novice

Post by peterjcat »

downinitjr wrote:Wonder if anyone else has seen this yet. I have a few .m4v files that I had muxed subtitles into using muxo. I have tried to use subler to remove the subtitle track that was added with muxo, then re-add the original .srt file back using subler. The file plays in itunes, but crashes my TV.
I've redone a couple of my Muxoed files with Subler (I love the way one line of subtitle only takes up one line -- superficial I know) and haven't had any problems playing the results back on my aTV. I just opened in Subler, iced the old track and added the original .srt as I'm sure you did too. So no problems here.

I wondered if there might be potential to add a few more tagging options -- even the cnid/type/hdvideo tags that mp4v2 uses? That way subtitles and iTunes SD-HD listing could be achieved in one go, though maybe that's a little greedy :)

Great work.
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

Some DVDs (Region 1) have Closed Captions. These are text nad need no OCR. There is a command line tool (CCextractor) which can extract CCs as srt files. Surely a workflow should be possible whereby we do DVD -> srt via CCextractor, DVD -> m4v via Handbrake and finally srt + m4v -> soft subbed m4v via Subler or Muxo.

The trouble is, I don't see how CCextractor could be run directly off a DVD trivially. First, the DVD source needs to be unencrypted. I suppose you can use Fairmount for this. Then, CCextractor seems to need only the specific title you want, and short of running DVD Decrypter, I don't see how that could be done directly from the video_ts directory.
downinitjr

Post by downinitjr »

I'm pretty sure the problem I am having is because the tracks in the .m4v were added in a "off" order. They were files that I had ripped with only a stereo/pro-logic track, then added the subtitle track. When a muxer was finally released that could do 64 bit mp4's, I later added the surround/ac3 track. So the track order in these files is video - stereo audio - subtitles - ac3 audio. They play and work fine on the tv, but I'm guessing the strange track order is what's causing my issue.
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Can I ask is there a way to edit subtitles size after I have synced them? as 60 was a bit small :?
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

Northy wrote:Can I ask is there a way to edit subtitles size after I have synced them? as 60 was a bit small :?
dumpster, which requires some knowledge and careful editing...if you still have the original SRT just delete and readd, there's no negative effect
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

I don't have the Org. SRT :( and all those I download from the internet are out of Sync and horribly disfigured.

Edit: Looked for dumpster but found nothing :?
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

Does anyone have issues playing back films with Subs after tagging them with MetaX? they just freeze up then QT crashes on me :?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Yes, MetaX does some strange things to files. I learned the hard way that you should run it through MetaX before you add any subtitle track.
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

Northy wrote:Does anyone have issues playing back films with Subs after tagging them with MetaX? they just freeze up then QT crashes on me :?
The underlying problem is AtomicParsley, it does something odd with the tags when it rewrites them. The good news is, rewriting the file with another utility (say, mp4file --optimize) will fix this. The bad news is, I can't think of a GUI tool available now that will "fix" it, maybe Ritsuka can add an "optimize" button to the Subler GUI, especially since files with subtitles need it to stream over DAAP (iTunes library sharing).
Northy
Enlightened

Post by Northy »

nightstrm wrote:Yes, MetaX does some strange things to files. I learned the hard way that you should run it through MetaX before you add any subtitle track.
Ah with Muxo you are not supposed to do that (you had to have them left untagged), so with Subler I can add subtitles to tagged files then?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

Northy wrote:
nightstrm wrote:Yes, MetaX does some strange things to files. I learned the hard way that you should run it through MetaX before you add any subtitle track.
Ah with Muxo you are not supposed to do that (you had to have them left untagged), so with Subler I can add subtitles to tagged files then?
That's how I do it (my workflow is here http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=9258).
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

Another new release (0.8a2):

Fixed a a problem with subtitles on iPhone/iPod Touch.
Chapters importing from txt files (mp4chaps format and ogg txt format).
More tags, but a few are read only.
Fixed some languages.

http://code.google.com/p/subler/

An optimize option will come in the next version :)