Exact Backup of DVD

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
x166532x

Exact Backup of DVD

Post by x166532x »

I know everyone has a different view of what DVD backup setting they like...

My question is; what would be an exact copy of the information - bit for bit - on a DVD if merely converting from MPEG2 to MPEG4?
In other words - forget about time and file size... what would the settings be to get as close to an exact copy as possible?
Would it be Constant Quality? I would imagine so
Would it be Average Bitrate? What is the bitrate capability of DVD anyway?

The original video file that made up the DVD movie was a measure of X, then MPEG2 compression was added to a certain degree to make it fit into a smaller packet. What if you could essentially take that original measure of X and apply the new and improved MPEG4 compression as a more efficient packet but still have the same exact (or as close to it) picture quality - bit for bit - not perceived.
I realize there will be some loss - just from uncompressing; as we do not have access to the original file.

I found the info I needed on the Wiki - go figure - "To sum up: when converting from a DVD source, there is no reason to go above 80% quality, which is roughly equivalent to how heavily the DVD is compressed. If you do go higher, your output will be larger than your input! "
Last edited by x166532x on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Re: Exact Backup of DVD

Post by Ritsuka »

x264 100% CQ is lossless. But the size would be more than 3 time the original size. All the data from the original source that aren't in the compressed mpeg-2 video are lost forever.