Add track using QT Pro with ability to switch between tracks

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
misajay

Add track using QT Pro with ability to switch between tracks

Post by misajay »

I want to take a recent encode (h.264 + AAC stereo) and add an additional track (AAC 5.1), preferably using Quicktime Pro.

The only catch is I want to be able to switch between audio tracks on the fly (like a proper Handbrake encode does from the main QT window). I've tried switching the extension from .mp4 to .m4v, but that did not do the trick. I am able to turn off/select the audio tracks via the "Show Movie Properties" window.

Let me know if more information is needed - I'd just like to be spared from having to re-encode. Thanks!
rhester
Veteran User

Re: Add track using QT Pro with ability to switch between tracks

Post by rhester »

Associate the audio tracks via QTPro.

Rodney
misajay

Post by misajay »

Thanks Rodney! It took me a second to figure out to select the track > other settings > alternate track, and that's where they can be associated.

One other quick question - is there a way to save it so that it just keeps all the current settings with just the additional track added? Or do I have to go to file > save as or file > export and re-select everything?

Thanks again!
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

I *think* you have to do a Save As, as a Save will assume the same filetype (and QuickTime Pro definitely doesn't like saving MP4 containers - it's MOV or bust). I'm afraid I'm not a QuickTime guru, some experimentation may be required. ;)

Note that the odds are good that there will be a sync disconnect between the new audio track and the video - most audio has a built-in delay in the source that must be reproduced during encoding or sync problems will result. QuickTime Pro may allow you to add (or remove) such delay as necessary on a per-audio-track basis...YMMV. This can generally be avoided by re-encoding your title with extremely low video quality and then surgically extracting the audio track only from your encode (with MP4Box or the like) and then adding to the target container (though QuickTime may simplify this process somewhat - again, not extremely familiar with the tool).

Rodney
misajay

Post by misajay »

Thanks man - you rock.