metaX Problem after encoding

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

metaX Problem after encoding

Post by ssj2_goha »

When I tag files of late with metax after they are done and added to iTunes they no longer have the chapter points........
Here is what i've done so far.....

Re-downloaded metaX
Made sure all of them have the m4v file extension.
Made sure they had valid chapter points b4 taging.

Still the chapter points are removed........

I know this isn't really a handbrake problem but it is handbrake related so if this is the wrong place to do post this please move it to the correct place......
Any idea what is happening???
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: metaX Problem after encoding

Post by s55 »

Moved to Tiki bar.

Tried contacting the meta x group?
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

Thanks I wasn't sure where to put this.....

I looked on the metaX page but didn't see any kind of forum or anything like that......

I'll look again.....
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I use Metax religiously /w Chapters and .m4v files and never ran into this.
kyc

Post by kyc »

I had this problem too with the svn code but I pinned it down to this:

http://trac.handbrake.fr/changeset/1581.
put mp4 'chap' atom on first track (usually video) rather than first audio track since we can now do video without audio (atom just needs to go on an enabled media track & video is always enabled).
MetaX will strip the chapter track if you edited it or marked it for tagging. The only fix is to revert the changes in muxmp4.c, wait for MetaX to be updated or name and edit the chapters in HB before encoding.
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

that must be it. So now what should I do? Just not rip till they fix this?

I know I could just name them in handbrake but I was looking for a permanant fix. It's nice to be able to use tagchimp to get the chapter names for my movies not having to dig out the case to find the chapter names was nice.

Could this be considered a handbrake bug also??
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

ssj2_goha wrote:Could this be considered a handbrake bug also??
Do you have any technical reason to dispute van's decision to associate chapters with the first track? Are you staring at, say, a technical document from Apple stating that chapters should always be associated with audio tracks and not video tracks? If not, why would you ask something like this? Did you even look at the changeset kyc very helpfully linked you to, wherein van explicitly states:
van wrote:The Quicktime spec says it doesn't matter which media track the chap atom is on
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

jbrjake wrote:
ssj2_goha wrote:Could this be considered a handbrake bug also??
Do you have any technical reason to dispute van's decision to associate chapters with the first track? Are you staring at, say, a technical document from Apple stating that chapters should always be associated with audio tracks and not video tracks? If not, why would you ask something like this? Did you even look at the changeset kyc very helpfully linked you to, wherein van explicitly states:
van wrote:The Quicktime spec says it doesn't matter which media track the chap atom is on
It was just a question, a question I asked because I don't have the technical knowledge....... I was just wonder why this change was made because I honestly can't see why there would be a need to encode video only with chapter points... But as I have always said it's your (the developers) program not mine so ignore my little gripes.......
van
Veteran User

Post by van »

The Apple documentation on chapter tracks is here. Note that their example shows using the video track for the 'chap' atom. The problem with putting 'chap' on an audio track is that there might not be one or it might not be enabled (e.g., both stereo & AC-3 are encoded & the stereo track is disabled to play the AC-3). The video track is always there & never disabled, unlike audio tracks.
ssj2_goha
Enlightened

Post by ssj2_goha »

van wrote:The Apple documentation on chapter tracks is here. Note that their example shows using the video track for the 'chap' atom. The problem with putting 'chap' on an audio track is that there might not be one or it might not be enabled (e.g., both stereo & AC-3 are encoded & the stereo track is disabled to play the AC-3). The video track is always there & never disabled, unlike audio tracks.
oh ok that makes scenes now. It seemed weird but now I understand the reason behind it.
djdeejay

Post by djdeejay »

I too had run into this...

Good to see the answer here - I hope they update MetaX soon because thats a lot of chapter names ill have to input by hand...