Handbrake MP4 Files Don't Have Thumbnails

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
Darksaber11

Handbrake MP4 Files Don't Have Thumbnails

Post by Darksaber11 »

I am using Windows Vista 64-bit for my primary operating system. I have the k-lite codec pack (64-bit version) installed, which allows explorer to display thumbnails for .mp4 files, but for some reason none of the .mp4 files I have created with Handbreak will display thumbnails. I am using H.264 for my video codec and AAC for my audio codec.
Cavalicious

Re: Handbrake MP4 Files Don't Have Thumbnails

Post by Cavalicious »

What "thumbnails" were you expecting?

<This isn't a HB issue, moving>
Darksaber11

Post by Darksaber11 »

Cavalicious wrote:What "thumbnails" were you expecting?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumbnails
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

I know WTH a thumbnail is. I was alluding to the fact that HB doesn't create thumbnails for you. Never did.
Darksaber11

Post by Darksaber11 »

Cavalicious wrote:I know WTH a thumbnail is. I was alluding to the fact that HB doesn't create thumbnails for you. Never did.
My original post clearly states that I am referring to thumbnails in windows explorer.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Darksaber11 wrote:My original post clearly states that I am referring to thumbnails in windows explorer.
Sounds more like a windows explorer problem to me.

First you need to figure out why Windows Explorer doesn't generate thumbnails. If the answer to that is that the files aren't standards compliant, then it'll be appropriate to ask why handbrake fails to adhere to the standards.
Darksaber11

Post by Darksaber11 »

trondmm wrote:
Darksaber11 wrote:My original post clearly states that I am referring to thumbnails in windows explorer.

First you need to figure out why Windows Explorer doesn't generate thumbnails. If the answer to that is that the files aren't standards compliant, then it'll be appropriate to ask why handbrake fails to adhere to the standards.
My apologies, I worded my original post a little unclearly. It should have read: "I am using Windows Vista 64-bit for my primary operating system. I have the k-lite codec pack (64-bit version) installed, which allows explorer to display thumbnails for most .mp4 files I have, but for some reason none of the .mp4 files I have created with Handbreak will display thumbnails
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

Darksaber11 wrote:
trondmm wrote:

My apologies, I worded my original post a little unclearly. It should have read: "I am using Windows Vista 64-bit for my primary operating system. I have the k-lite codec pack (64-bit version) installed, which allows explorer to display thumbnails for most .mp4 files I have, but for some reason none of the .mp4 files I have created with Handbreak will display thumbnails
Sounds more like a k-lite codec pack problem to me.
trondmm

Post by trondmm »

Darksaber11 wrote:My apologies, I worded my original post a little unclearly. It should have read: "I am using Windows Vista 64-bit for my primary operating system. I have the k-lite codec pack (64-bit version) installed, which allows explorer to display thumbnails for most .mp4 files I have, but for some reason none of the .mp4 files I have created with Handbreak will display thumbnails
I still don't get why this is a Handbrake issue.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong end. You're asking why handbrake generates videofiles that Windows Explorer can't read. Instead you should be asking why Windows Explorer won't read files generated by Handbrake.

If there's nothing wrong with the video file (I assume your media player handles it fine), then it's really out of Handbrake's hands. The Handbrake developers cannot possibly know about every single bug and limitation in software created by everybody else.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

trondmm wrote:
Darksaber11 wrote:My apologies, I worded my original post a little unclearly. It should have read: "I am using Windows Vista 64-bit for my primary operating system. I have the k-lite codec pack (64-bit version) installed, which allows explorer to display thumbnails for most .mp4 files I have, but for some reason none of the .mp4 files I have created with Handbreak will display thumbnails
I still don't get why this is a Handbrake issue.

I think you're looking at this from the wrong end. You're asking why handbrake generates videofiles that Windows Explorer can't read. Instead you should be asking why Windows Explorer won't read files generated by Handbrake.

If there's nothing wrong with the video file (I assume your media player handles it fine), then it's really out of Handbrake's hands. The Handbrake developers cannot possibly know about every single bug and limitation in software created by everybody else.
Thank God...someone with some sense!
mooples

Post by mooples »

windows vista, for some reason, will not create thumbnails for any mp4 files. i believe explorer is only designed to create thumbnails for native windows media player formats, avi, wmv, etc.. i'm sure if you really wanted to look around hard enough there may be a registry tweak or something that would let you accomplish this. i feel your pain. good luck!