Will the SnowLeopard architectural changes affect Handbrake?

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
L255J
Regular User

Will the SnowLeopard architectural changes affect Handbrake?

Post by L255J »

These are some changes provided by OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard": http://images.appleinsider.com/road-to-sl-080826-6.gif

Will that change anything? Performance? Necessity for code revision?

s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Will the SnowLeopard architectural changes affect Handbrake?

Post by s55 »

Unless your an apple employee who can offer us free and frequent copies of snow leopard development builds to actually work with, we can't answer that. Even then, things are bound to change between now and release.

ssj2_goha
Regular User

Post by ssj2_goha »

The only thing that WOULD change is if the developers choose to use OpenCL. But then people would really have to have custom builds that depend on what video card they have.

Eug

Post by Eug »

Well, for one thing, 10.6 Snow Leopard won't even run on PowerPC, to my surprise. (I was expecting Apple to drop PowerPC with 10.7 Garfield, in 2011.)

I note that the current version of Handbrake supports only 10.5 Leopard. If the Handbrake guys find some sort of cool whiz-bang feature or whatever in 10.6 that necessitates development being exclusive to 10.6 sometime down the line, that would mean all PowerPC users would be SOL.

I'm not actually expecting that immediately, but I'm just sayin'. However, I personally don't care, since x264 encoding is so bloody slow on my PowerPC machines anyway.

entropic
Regular User

Post by entropic »

ssj2_goha wrote:The only thing that WOULD change is if the developers choose to use OpenCL. But then people would really have to have custom builds that depend on what video card they have.
The whole point of opencl is to abstract any concrete stream processor away - so you DONT have to have custom builds depending on the HW. The custom build way could already be archived today using CUDA or Stream... no need to wait for OpenCL.

Anyway... for any reasonable speed improvements HB's contrib libraries (mostly x264) would have to use OpenCL - not Handbrake itself.