using diff to make a patch file

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
jzietman
Enlightened

using diff to make a patch file

Post by jzietman »

I've searched for ages now trying to figure out how diff and patch work, and I think I've finally figured it out. The only thing now stopping me from using it to patch the latest svn is that I can't figure out how to make a c file using the code from the pastebin. I've used xcode 3, textedit, tried editing the current (svn1504) decomb.c file (I'm trying to patch in the latest decomb code by jbrjake) to make another file that I could use in FileMerger to make a patch file, but none of it is working. I know I sound like a total noob, now, but how in the world do I save the code off of the pastebin into a file usable by diff (and therefore my FileMerger)?

I know this is probably an absolute basic task for a lot of you, but it can't be that hard, and, really, google isn't coming up with any results for me.

Thanks in advance!
nightstrm
Veteran User

Re: using diff to make a patch file

Post by nightstrm »

patch -p0 < [insert patch file name]

This does not belong in Development.
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: using diff to make a patch file

Post by jbrjake »

jzietman, this is really inappropriate. I've been trying to be nice, because I know you're not trying to be nuisance and you just want to use the latest code, but I woke up this morning to an angry PM from another developer because of this thread.

Like I already told you, if you are incapable of even running "man patch" or finding information with Google, then you should not be using development code. End of story. Please do not pollute our forums with requests for remedial aid in using your computer.

And everyone else? Don't enable this behavior.

*locking*