eSata AppleTV Mod

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
TexasAg

Re: eSata AppleTV Mod

Post by TexasAg »

dyna,

I also appear to be having the same issues with the crossed IDE cable. The AppleTV boots up and works fine with the PATA-to-SATA adapter plugged directly into the AppleTV, but it won't work with the crossed IDE cable between the PATA-to-SATA adapter and the AppleTV.

One thing that I might be doing wrong - the crossed cable is larger than the IDE slot on the AppleTV. How is the IDE cable supposed to be connected to the AppleTV? Is the IDE cable supposed to be centered (2 pins unconnected and hanging over on each side), or is the IDE cable supposed to be off-center (4 pins unconnected on one side and no pins unconnected on the other side)? I think the IDE cable is supposed to be off-center so that the red stripe is aligned with the edge of the IDE connector, and the other end has 4 pins that are unconnected.

Thanks.

EDIT: After looking at the AppleTV again, I actually think the cable they sent me isn't right. The end being inserted into the AppleTV is way too big, and it looks like there are extra pins that aren't connecting to the AppleTV (which I don't think there should be). Looks like I need another IDE cable.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

TexasAg wrote:How is the IDE cable supposed to be connected to the AppleTV? Is the IDE cable supposed to be centered (2 pins unconnected and hanging over on each side), or is the IDE cable supposed to be off-center (4 pins unconnected on one side and no pins unconnected on the other side)? I think the IDE cable is supposed to be off-center so that the red stripe is aligned with the edge of the IDE connector, and the other end has 4 pins that are unconnected.
um, both the cable and the logic board on the atv are 44 pin. The only thing that was wonky was the "shroud" around the pins on the logic board was a bit too narrow for the plastic connector on the cable, So I just broke off the ends of the shroud.

Not sure why you have extra unconnected pins.
khaksari

Post by khaksari »

Comrades (& Dynaflash),

Though my manual dexterity skills have never been great, I feel fairly safe in warning you that the mod, as presented by dyna, cannot fit in the ATV case in conjunction with a 2.5" drive. That is the mod works perfectly, but my hopes for a wholly contained until are dashed. Cheers.

-K
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

khaksari wrote:I feel fairly safe in warning you that the mod, as presented by dyna, cannot fit in the ATV case in conjunction with a 2.5" drive.
Oh, no doubt about it, as I said in the OP, the bridge takes the space that the old 2.5 drive used to take up. I don't think I *ever* said it would work with an internal drive. *confused*.
NachoTom

Post by NachoTom »

Hi guys, I've been reading this mod with great interest and someone asked at one point why not just use a 2.5 inch to sata adapter.
So, I found one... Any thoughts as to if this would work? I like how the connector is at 90 degrees so the card will not stick up. Would this adapter remove the need for the cable, as well as the need for the 2.5 to 3.5 adapter?

If it works, would it fit inside the AppleTV and allow internal use of a 500gig 2.5inch SATA drive? :D

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail.ph ... ept_id=015
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

dunno, you'd have to try it. The clearances are pretty tight in there and depending on its size it would probably hit the fan (look at internal pics). The cable gives you alot of flexibility in where you can place the bridge to clear everything.

Even if the bridge fit and cleared the other components by itself, I see no way you would still be able to use the internal drive in any scenario. There is just not enough space without some further mods or standoffs for the bottom plate.
NachoTom

Post by NachoTom »

going off this picture...

Pin 1 is closest to the front of the AppleTV, view being from back of AppleTV. - For those that didn't know, pin 1 is indicated by the red stripe on the cable.

If that is the case, and pin one is oriented correctly on the adapter...

According to this page... http://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/disk-pinout.htm
Pin 1 is closest to the keyed pin, which would mean the orientation of the adapter card should be correct.
Simply judging based off 2 pictures, the size should fit so long as the wireless card is not in the way.

If this works, it seems that it would be the optimal plug in configuration as it would remove a lot of variables from the equation. The price is only $13 so I'm thinking about giving it a go. My only hesitation is setting up the imaging of the drive. I have plenty of SATA drives, and even already have a eSATA/USB enclosure so if this works, all I'm missing is a USB adapter for the AppleTV hard drive, and this card.

I'm more than happy to try it out and let everyone know if it works. Unless someone can get to it before me. it's going to be a few weeks until I'll have the time to get to it. I'm still trying to find my best encode method for my DVD collection... TO MANY OPTIONS :shock: :wink:
NachoTom

Post by NachoTom »

I also did some precursory measurements and it appears that the eSATA cable just might fit in the Ethernet port on the AppleTV.
Should this actual fit, I'll be removing my Ethernet port (desolder it from the board) from my AppleTV and placing the eSATA port in it's place. I know eSATA is wider, but at an angle the SATA to eSATA cable I have appears as if it just might fit in the hole. This would make for a slick removable interface with the appearance of the AppleTV being stock.

Quick mockup of my idea.
Yes, I know this would render the Ethernet useless. So if you use Ethernet, no point in complaining about it. I don't use Ethernet, I use Wireless.

Any thoughts?
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

NachoTom wrote:I also did some precursory measurements and it appears that the eSATA cable just might fit in the Ethernet port on the AppleTV.
Should this actual fit, I'll be removing my Ethernet port (desolder it from the board) from my AppleTV and placing the eSATA port in it's place. I know eSATA is wider, but at an angle the SATA to eSATA cable I have appears as if it just might fit in the hole. This would make for a slick removable interface with the appearance of the AppleTV being stock.

Quick mockup of my idea.
Yes, I know this would render the Ethernet useless. So if you use Ethernet, no point in complaining about it. I don't use Ethernet, I use Wireless.

Any thoughts?
If I send you my AppleTV, can you desolder the 10/100 ethernet jack and install a gigabit one for me? :lol:

Sounds like an ambitious idea; hope it works out for you (and be sure to post some pictures if you get it working).
NachoTom

Post by NachoTom »

I went ahead and ordered that adapter, should be here 7 to 20 days from HongKong. I'll post pics when I get it.

I guess this gives me plenty of time to get my 40 gig drive out and image it. This is by far the part I'm looking forward to the least.

I have an old 80gig 16mb cache 2.5inch drive I may just try to use as a test bed for the image while I wait just so I can perfect the whole image thing.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Cool. Curious to know how it turns out. Always good to have other options with these things.
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

Hi Dynaflash,

Wonder if I could ask you a few things. I'm excited to try your sata mod and ordered all the parts but ran into a snag with the 2.5" 44/40 adaptor. I ordered this http://www.cablesonline.net/44pinto40pin.html to be used with this http://www.cablesonline.net/644fetomaide.html just like in your instructions. However, the IDE adaptor actually came with pin 20 not keyed on the female and only 43 male pins, so it won't go with the 44pin ribbon. I had a back and forth with cables online and they insist that is the way it is(?) so am a bit confused. I found what I think is the same part on cables to go http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?c ... &sku=17705 that they say actually is 44/40 but I dont know enough if the adaptor I have could be made to work before I order from cables to go. I think pin 20 does not carry data (or do anything else?).

Also, out of paranoia, when I'm looking at your first pic with the ATV open and the new ribbon cable attached, you've got the red line on "top" with some text underneath stamped on the cable, and the crossed end into the logic board. With mine in that orientation the pins on the cable would be facing up with the male end on the left and crossed female on the right. To have the crossed end down and red line in same position I would have to flip the cable over...I hope that makes sense. Maybe need a pic.

Thanks for any input!
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

osohardy wrote:However, the IDE adaptor actually came with pin 20 not keyed on the female and only 43 male pins, so it won't go with the 44pin ribbon.
Just take a pin and punch out where the female socket for pin 20 would go. Yes, its not used but you have to do it so there is somewhere for pin 20 in the atv's logic board to go (even though it is dead). You should find that there is just a thin layer of plastic covering an existing hole in the adapter.
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

Hi Dyna,

Thanks! Long story short I am 99% there but I'm having the dreaded extension cable problem. I ordered this Syba bidirectional sata bridge http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... irectional which I've seen a few others try--one in this thread and one in Cave Man's macforums thread that I can see. Then I have the extension cable, http://www.cablesonline.net/644fetomaide.htmland adaptor http://www.cablesonline.net/44pinto40pin.html from your parts list.

The reason I asked about the cable orientation is because it looks like in your pics pin 1 (red stripe) is oriented toward the back of the ATV. On mine, the stock cable had red stripe on the other end toward the front, and this is how I have that crossed extension connected. I know it is correct because the LED on the bridge will light up but I get the flashing ? mark. With the bridge directly connected I've got a functional 1 TB ATV. I'm so close but this cable is killing me. I'd post a pic but won't let me for some reason.
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Try switching it the way I have it. iirc there is only one way that it works. Even though the bridge lights up, the cable only works correctly oriented the way I show it (again, as I recall. I have hooked both of mine up the same) as the pics. ... And yes, my stock cable had the red stripe (used to indicate pin 1) on the other end.

On the plus side you *are* close. If it works sans the cable you know your drive is formatted correctly and that the bridge is working.
osohardy

Post by osohardy »

Uggh. No dice. Bridge lights up and thinks for a minute, then the stupid ?. Without the cable OK. Either orientation fails, like yours or like mine initially with red stripe at 'front' and reversed at adaptor (relative to yours). Searching for alternative :x

Update: I decided to go internal for now using adaptor found in this post, user denlesko: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... B+apple+tv and a 500GB WD Blue. I personally found it difficult to close it completely tight after--where the cable joins the adaptor is too wide to drop between the power supply and the IR card, or if you fold the cable the other way it bumps against the support brace. I can see why some have dremeled that brace to make room. So I have it loosely reattached and left off the rubber bottom and use furniture pads to prop up a bit. Besides the potential cable problem with esata, I would like to re-emphasize that proper disk formatting can be a PITA. I would highly recommend using a single full disk image (not separate images for efi, boot etc like described in awkward tv wiki) + Ipartition--my two cents.
Last edited by osohardy on Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raymoreno

Is this an easy way to use USB Drive for External Storage?

Post by raymoreno »

Newbie here. have spent hours looking through these excellent forums.

I came across an original Apple TV at a terrific price. It has the woefully small 40gb drive. I'd like to keep the functionality of the stock ATV interface the same (important for my wife & kids) and am willing to do all of the ripping in handbrake and organizing in itunes. I've looked at Boxxee/ XBMX and they're not for us. I've also looked at streaming - it works OK but not great even over my wired connection. This post caught my attention:

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php ... 999#p35786

I am interested in what was posted here. All I want to do is change the default storage for media files to an external USB drive. In other words - allow the system software and booting happen from the internal drive, and have all storage point to the external drive so that Itunes and the Apple TV sees it in the default. I have several external USB drives sitting around that would work beautifully.

This almost seems to easy. I've patched my appletv using the latest ATV Usb Creater so I can SSH into my Apple TV (updated to 2.3.1). I know I could use Boxxee, XBMC,, NitoTV etc, but I (and more importantly my wife) prefer the stock ATV interface. I don't feel like opening the case unless I have to. Would anyone be willing to walk me through the commands, step-by-step to make this happen. I can see the USB Drive (names USB500G) when I use something like NitoTv, so know it mounts, but don't know whether I need to mount it manually through Nito each and every time. I want it to simply be teh default drive for my files, my music, etc.... I'd be willing to post my success with this...

Thanks in advance>>>

Ray
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Sorry, for my part I do not have experience with hacking the stock atv software to recognize the usb drive for your library.

One note though on a mod as described by that post. Anytime you update your atv software the mod would likely be wiped out and you would have to do it all over again.

This was one of my considerations in going with the eSata hardware mod. From a software perspective the atv has no clue it is running on a huge external drive. So software update's go without a hitch. It's worth considering as you decide you're path.

The eSata mod while seeming a bit invasive initially is a one time shot.
raymoreno

Post by raymoreno »

dynaflash wrote:Sorry, for my part I do not have experience with hacking the stock atv software to recognize the usb drive for your library.
I found an excellent thread that addresses this issue precisely - allowing the stock ATV software to recognize an attached USB drive. I followed the instructions written by Gastov. I now have a 500GB Apple TV without cracking the case. It serves my purposes for now and I am very happy. Here is the link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=713382

Thanks for all of your help everyone.

Ray
yoyo007

Post by yoyo007 »

Hey I am new to this forum and was very interested in this mod. well i was thinking maybe these would work. I wanted to have a internal 2.5 sata drive the adapter may be too tall and the cable has the power wired in a way i have not seen. the cable could be modified if needed. i wanted to be able to power the drive off the apple tv and still be contained by it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6812200156

http://www.cablesonline.com/940pinto44pi.html
yoyo007

Post by yoyo007 »

i also found this adapter it would just need a 44pin cable which would come with the apple tv and it may even be short enough to fit.
i just don't know anything about the online store.

http://www.cooldrives.com/2sahadrtoide.html
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

You may do well to read this http://guides.macrumors.com/Apple_TV_25 ... ve_Upgrade as it deals with an internal sata hard drive modification as opposed to the external eSata modification here.
basquino

Post by basquino »

Can anyone tell me what eSata dongle is shown in this photo? And, any ideas on how the man dremeled or drill-pressed the TV's case? I'm curious if he threaded an unfinished Sata cable through a small opening or if it is a notch instead of a hole. I like the approach of using a dongle rather than the removal of the ethernet connector better here, don't you think? This guy is selling upgraded TVs for upwards of U$400 on eBay!

dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

Do a search online, and there are all sorts of sata / eSata cable combos. I would wager he uses a dremel with a jig if he is doing any amount of them. I would guess its the same as this mod, just better fit and finish.
mmclary

Post by mmclary »

dyna,

I'm looking for a little help. I've followed the directions and still cannot get the mod to work (I get the AppleTV with a ? when I boot). Here are the steps that I have done.

1. I purchased everything you mentioned except the controller card which I bought one local in Singapore. Here are the specs:

RXD-629
Converts Parallel ATA to Serial ATA
Supports ATA 100/133

2. I tried it with the cable extension first and then hook it up direct to the board (see attached). I've tried plugging it in both directions. I do get a light on the controller card so it is getting power.

http://files.me.com/mmclary/2581ko

3. I used the DD command to copy the original AppleTV Image and then used DD command again to move the image to the new drive. I then used iPartition to expand the drive. Here are the results:

/dev/disk2
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *931.5 Gi disk2
1: EFI 34.0 Mi disk2s1
2: Apple_Recovery 400.0 Mi disk2s2
3: Apple_HFS OSBoot 900.0 Mi disk2s3
4: Apple_HFS Media 930.1 Gi disk2s4

4. I also tried hooking the drive up direct from SATA to SATA, using power only from the hard drive enclosure and still get the AppleTV ?

5. I will try and reinstall the image again and see if that works.

Any other ideas would be great.

On another note, I leave in Asia and have access to manufacturers in China that can prefab a hard drive enclosure that will fit on the bottom of the AppleTV to hold the hard drive and make it look like an AppleTV extension. Does anyone have an interest in the prefab enclosure?

Thanks in advance for any help.