Tool to add subtitles to mp4s

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
kneeslasher
Experienced

Re: Tool to add subtitles to mp4s

Post by kneeslasher »

Hopefully the ccextractor route will become available shortly from the positive noises posted recently.

Presumably, the DVD -> ccextractor -> muxo -> m4v file route can be integrated into HB eventually since it requires no OCR?
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Wouldn't it make more sense (if technically possible) to include the CCs as CCs and not as subtitles?
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

Sure, but the tools to do that are rather creaky and subject to non-function without rhyme or reason:

http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?t=4172#p22999

One of the advantages of using subs rather than CCs within the m4v file is that subs can be turned on and off using the gui of the video player, whilst CCs need to be enabled elsewhere (in a menu or, on the iPhone, in the preferences).

Frankly I don't mind where the subs end up ont he m4v file, but would definitely prefer the source from the DVD to be CCs.
entropic
Novice

Post by entropic »

Guess I can take a look to see if CC support can be integrated into muxo.
The only good reason to store CCs not as timed text in an m4v that i can see is that appletv does only support CCs right now...
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

Indeed. It's pretty immaterial (apart from AppleTV) whether the end product is stored in the CC or the sub section of the m4v container.

Of course CCs as a source are a different matter.

Some tools already exist to get CCs into an m4v, but they are all lacking in one way or another:

- http://www.zeitanker.com/content/e43/e3272/e3404/ shows a rather buggy Quicktime component which can add a CC track to an m4v.
- Apple's own version: https://developer.apple.com/samplecode/ ... index.html

And of course, there is always Maccaption for those willing to spend thousands of dollars.
benjamin.p

Post by benjamin.p »

Thanks for an great app!

Unfortuneately I'm having a lot of krasches when playing the m4v-file in Quicktime and iTunes.
Both programs recognizes the subtitles but keep krasching.
It works in VLC.

Do you have any suggestions what to do?

Another question: Can you add support for naming a sub as Swedish?
cfsmp3

Post by cfsmp3 »

In fact 0.39 is out NOW! :-)
chito_jap

Post by chito_jap »

Works great!!!
very easy to use.

how can I manage the size and color font?

Please make a windows PC version!!!

Thanks
stryd3r

Post by stryd3r »

does muxo works for windows.. i have been using handbrake on my pc for the past week and it has been wonderful. i am hoping this this mac dominated forums that this app also works for windows
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

stryd3r wrote:does muxo works for windows.. i have been using handbrake on my pc for the past week and it has been wonderful. i am hoping this this mac dominated forums that this app also works for windows
From the first post in this thread:
As a side product of my srt releated work on handbrake i wrote a small macos cli-tool that adds subtitle tracks to existing mp4 files.
stryd3r

Post by stryd3r »

nightstrm
do you have a link to the cli-tool that you use for existing mp4's also will with m4v and avi files. i try to stick to mkv,m4v's and avi. for some reason anything else on my appletv seems to play terrible
refulgentis
Bright Spark User

Post by refulgentis »

has there been any progress on muxo in a while? haven't seen any updates on entropic's forum or here.

as far as I can tell, subtitles are broken in Front Row, streaming subtitles doesn't working in iTunes, and Apple TV doesn't support subtitles, making it impossible for any attempt at building a mac media center solution that incorporates subtitles to work at this point.

EDIT: if anyone has the source code lying around, i'd like to see it to mess around with it.
EDIT2: streaming them has something to do with muxo creating unoptimized MP4s I think, because if I select a source clip short enough itunes will stream it fine
drebes

Post by drebes »

I've posted this question in the Muxo forums but didn't get any reply, so I wonder if I'm the only one getting this issue with Muxo.

When I try to add subtitles to an m4v file with Muxo, the resulting file works OK regarding the subtitles, but when I reimport the file in iTunes the metadata tags (including cover art), are not recognized. But if I open the same file with MetaX, the data seems to be there. Does anyone else have such problem?
LeMarcus

Post by LeMarcus »

Hi there ! I'm a French Guy so I will try to explain my problem here with Muxo,

I've download Muxo, I always ripped my DVD with Handbrake to .mp4 format,
so I want to use Muxo to add subtitles !

After my .mp4 is ready, I start Muxo and add subtitles, like it's said in Muxo,
I rename my video .mp4 to .m4v . After, when I try to play my video in Quicktime
or iTunes, it's ok for 10seconds but then, iTunes or Quicktime crash ...

It's that for all my videos, except one (but I didn't ripped this video myself) ... So,
I've try to ripped my video with Handbrake to .m4v directly ...

But it's the same problem after !

Someone get an answer ? (I hope I'm clear, thanks)
anderson

Post by anderson »

I was wondering when it should be possible for other languages to add, like dutch. Now I've to select unknown, but I prefer to select the real language...

It's a great program!!!
ged296123

Post by ged296123 »

Hello
First, thank you for developing such a program.
I have been using muxo for a few days and didn't have any problems until now. The program does not accept a "Turkish" subtitle file. I tried embedding it as "unknown", but the program automatically shuts down. After a few tries my .mp4 file corrupts. I can always send a copy of the .srt file if it will help.
Thanks in advance.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Please direct all Muxo support requests to their forum:

http://forum.entropicgarden.com/

Topic closed.

Rodney