Tool to add subtitles to mp4s

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
ctomer

Re: Tool to add subtitles to mp4s

Post by ctomer »

This is great. Thank you so much entropic!

Unfortunately this confirms that there is no subtitle support in Apple TV :(
dlorenzo

Post by dlorenzo »

ctomer wrote:This is great. Thank you so much entropic!

Unfortunately this confirms that there is no subtitle support in Apple TV :(
I'm not so sure about that though. There *has* to be since some movies from the iTunes store does indeed have Closed caption in them and I believe they can be displayed.

I already posted this in AwkwardTV and maybe someone there can aid us.

Thanks entropic
entropic
Novice

Post by entropic »

From what I understood, AppleTV has CC support - but not for subtitles. (Somebody correcty me if im wrong - i don't own an appletv)
Seems pretty strange to me that ipods/iphones support subtitles - and appletv doesnt.... another one of those weird differences between their devices. (no idea what they guys at apple are smoking)

CCs are stored in a different way then subs - muxo can't handle this (yet).
dlorenzo

Post by dlorenzo »

Entropic

Well now that you say so ... it might be true, lets see what the experts at awkwardtv have to say. What I can tell you is that CC is an option on the settings menu so it may be true that it only supports CC or maybe it does support subtitles as well and there is something else involved to enable them.
iiro

Post by iiro »

Very Nice! I've now succesfully added subtitles to all my movies. However, when adding to some it just crashes and I lose the video files in progress, but
I traced it down to bad srt files.

Now, how can I properly change my MP4 files to M4V? For some, simply renaming the file causes iTunes and Qt to crash while playing it... :S
They're all 720p AVC with AAC 5.1.

EDIT: Also, when pressing the minus button to remove subs from a movie causes it to crash every time.

EDIT2: I uploaded a crash log for you: http://lab.iirojappinen.com/Muxo_crash.html

EDIT3: Another one: When I add Subs to an MP4 movie and then rename it to M4V it won't show the subtitles. Only after I add the subtitles again will Qt recognise them, but this time also crashing one some peculiar reason.
entropic
Novice

Post by entropic »

EDIT2: I uploaded a crash log for you: http://lab.iirojappinen.com/Muxo_crash.html
The link leads me to an empty page.

Something i might have forgotten to mention:
Never try muxing subtitles that are not utf8 encoded.
Normal english text will work - but all (accidental) tests with cp1250,etc.. causes weird crashes on playback.
Always convert them to utf8 first if they contain any special characters...
entropic
Novice

Post by entropic »

muxo, I had a 'clean' (mp4box'd raw AAC + raw H264) file, then muxo'd subs in...I'll cut down the size a little bit (its 720 MB, maybe I'll make a 1 minute sample?) and upload it to rapidshare later, and then edit this post to include the link

EDIT:
~ 1 min clip of the movie: http://rapidshare.de/files/39252654/muxotest.m4v.html
srt file I'm using: http://rapidshare.de/files/39252657/lost.srt.html
Thanks - found the bug. Will be fixed in the next release.
iiro

Post by iiro »

entropic wrote:
The link leads me to an empty page.

Something i might have forgotten to mention:
Never try muxing subtitles that are not utf8 encoded.
Normal english text will work - but all (accidental) tests with cp1250,etc.. causes weird crashes on playback.
Always convert them to utf8 first if they contain any special characters...
Sorry about that, try this link: http://lab.iirojappinen.com/muxo.txt

All my files were in utf8 so I don't know what the problem is. :?
entropic
Novice

Post by entropic »

Sorry about that, try this link: http://lab.iirojappinen.com/muxo.txt
Ouch, that looks bad..
Any chance that you can get me a small sample file thats causing this crash?
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

oh, btw entropic, congratulations on hitting TUAW ;)
entropic
Novice

Post by entropic »

dynaflash wrote:oh, btw entropic, congratulations on hitting TUAW ;)

To be honest, I'm really surprised how many people are actually interested in muxo... 1500+ downloads just in the last couple of houres..

Since I don't want to pollute this board too much with muxo stuff, I set up a separate forum for it.

http://forum.entropicgarden.com

Feel free to drop by everyone! I'm waiting there for your complains, suggestions and the usual pointless blabbering :D
kheprijb

Post by kheprijb »

Hello ! thanks for such a wonderful tool !

But it's not working on my mac 10.4.11 ! I can't open MUXO. When I double clicked nothing is happening...
dortez

Post by dortez »

So I figured out some bugs so people do not make the SAME mistake as I did.

First off . . . TAG your movie before you add the Subtitles at least with Lostify. I was getting an error (1728) in Lostify when I was trying to tag a movie after I had added the subtitles. Lostify seems to confuse the SRT (subtitles) as external tagging and does not know what to do with it. Remember to do Mudox as the LAST step. It will not work if it is not the last step for example, I attached some artwork as the last step and it would crash the movie so I had to add the artwork before I attached subtitles via Mudox.

The only other real issue I have is that I can not view the movie in Front Row if I add subtitles. It [movie] works if I open it in QT and even on my iPhone but that same movie PLAYS audio but does not display any video when being played in Front Row. Heres the kicker . . . if I remove the subtitles from that same movie . . . it all of a sudden plays normally in Front Row.

I currently am running Mudox 0.3.3, Handbrake 0.9.2, Lostify 0.7.0 on a MacBook Pro 17 inch running Mac OS X 10.5.2 aka Leopard!

Any thoughts as to why that may be?
Last edited by dortez on Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ritsuka
HandBrake Team

Post by Ritsuka »

It's a Front Row's bug. Blame Apple.
ctomer

Post by ctomer »

dlorenzo wrote: I'm not so sure about that though. There *has* to be since some movies from the iTunes store does indeed have Closed caption in them and I believe they can be displayed.
Closed captions aren't subtitles. Apple TV does indeed allow you to display closed captions if they are available but there is no UI that allows you view subtitles. I imagine that the ability to display subtitles is probably there, but without a UI to turn them on makes any such functionality useless.
kheprijb

Post by kheprijb »

but no idea why it's not working on 10.4 ?

Haaa such a good software...
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

kheprijb wrote:but no idea why it's not working on 10.4 ?

Haaa such a good software...
One more of those an your gone. There is nothing wrong with muxo, in fact it seems to work brilliantly. You've been warned.
nightstrm
Veteran User

Post by nightstrm »

kheprijb wrote:Hello ! thanks for such a wonderful tool !

But it's not working on my mac 10.4.11 ! I can't open MUXO. When I double clicked nothing is happening...
You do realize its a command-line application right...
kheprijb

Post by kheprijb »

hey guys sorry for my ignorance. No, I didn't realise it was a command line app...

Damn, first I'm french, second I'm not really good at computer things. Two big handicaps for one person ! :mrgreen:

Anyway... Where can I find how to run it ??
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

I've been following Entropic's thread in the Development forum, whilst keeping as quiet as a mouse of course, with baited breath.

This is a superb achievement. Bascially, we can zip up an m4v (audio + video tracks) with a subtitle track just like what http://www.cpcweb.com/ provides, but without paying thousands of dollars.

If Entropic gets that subtitle/CC extraction patch working, it will be a one-click solution to creating an m4v with soft subs. I can hardly contain my excitement.

In the meanwhile, does anyone have a guide for how to use ccextractor? I never did manage to figure out how to use it for DVDs...
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Unfortunately, while CCExtractor seems it would be the holy grail for closed captions, it suffers one fatal flaw - very, very bad timing. The markers are waaaaay off from the original. (I've also read that it can have trouble with progressive CCs that pop up a few letters at a time, but I have not yet confirmed this.)

I actually asked van for a bit of help with this one - since CCExtractor is OSS, and does 99% of the heavy-lifting properly as-is, I figured his significant experience with timing issues on DVDs might be of great value to the community at large here (as CCExtractor now appears to be abandoned).

Ripping subtitles, on the other hand, is entirely an OCR problem best solved (on Windows, at least) with SubRip, if you have the patience to train it and correct its mistakes after-the-fact.

Given that a good bit of my test context uses mixed-case, full closed captions, and they don't suffer from having to be OCRed, I'd prefer focus be there - though I recognize the issues Muxo currently has with CCs versus subs (and the way Apple wants them presented). Of course, there's nothing preventing people from creating the .srt with CCExtractor and then letting Muxo call it a subtitle...

Rodney
kneeslasher
Experienced

Post by kneeslasher »

I see that iTunes/Quicktime now had an option for CCs and another option for subs.

If even one of the possible routes (vobsubs (DVD)-> sub track (m4v), vobsubs -> CC track, CCs -> sub track, CCs -> CC track) could be formulated, that would complete the quest. As previously mentioned, CCs are highly preferred as a source since CCs aren't prone to OCR errors. So my tuppence worth would be to use either CCs -> sub track or CCs -> CC track. But to get CCs off the DVD still needs the external tools (McPoodle or ccextractor). And it seems those come with their own share of problems. I'm surprised at the timing issues in ccextractor. I thought it was a step up from McPoodle's tool and when I last used that, it worked pretty nicely. I even submitted some feedback to McPoodle at the time to fix bugs in CCs which had no time gaps betwen them.

BTW, I couldn't get my head round hw to use ccextractor on a DVD source. Nor is the sparse documentation any help. How is this done?
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

You can't - it has to pull them out of a VOB.

Rodney
cfsmp3

Post by cfsmp3 »

rhester wrote:Unfortunately, while CCExtractor seems it would be the holy grail for closed captions, it suffers one fatal flaw - very, very bad timing. The markers are waaaaay off from the original. (I've also read that it can have trouble with progressive CCs that pop up a few letters at a time, but I have not yet confirmed this.)

I actually asked van for a bit of help with this one - since CCExtractor is OSS, and does 99% of the heavy-lifting properly as-is, I figured his significant experience with timing issues on DVDs might be of great value to the community at large here (as CCExtractor now appears to be abandoned).
ccextractor has not been abandoned at all. I've been a bit lazy but a new version is almost ready.

About the timing comment: I must disagree :-) It works most of the time if the proper settings are used (yes, sometimes you have to help it a bit).

Anyway, some serious work on synchronization has been done since 0.34 so it's likely that the specific issues 0.34 still had are gone now.

Anyone wanting to test the current build is welcome to email me (at the address in ccextractor.sourgeforge.net), I'll be more than happy to provide the current source or the windows binary (linux and mac users just build it from source).

I'm spending some time on ccextractor again so now it's the perfect time to test the new features and give ccextractor your toughest files :-)
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

Wow - welcome to the party! :)

I will be e-mailing you immediately, and my apologies for the misinformation. Rumors of CCExtractor's death are greatly exaggerated, it seems. ;)

Rodney