Noob building issue? (Theora & Mac)

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
pj4533

Noob building issue? (Theora & Mac)

Post by pj4533 »

I am new to building HandBrake so be gentle....

I read the instructions (basically pretty fricken simple, just do a 'make' on the command line before using XCode).

So I got the source correctly with SVN, and then did a make, but enctheora.c seems to be failing. I read in the 'theora patch' thread, that there were issues with this patch? The changes appear to be checked in now, but I still get this error:

/projects/HandBrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:6:27: error: theora/theora.h: No such file or directory
/projects/HandBrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:25: error: syntax error before ‘theora_state’
/projects/HandBrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:25: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union

Basically, it looks like 'theora' isn't in the right place. Could it be that it wasn't added to the "contrib binaries" download? Thats the best I could tell....any hints for a newbie? Do you have to do the theora stuff by hand or something?

-pj
s55
HandBrake Team

Re: Noob building issue? (Theora & Mac)

Post by s55 »

Could it be that it wasn't added to the "contrib binaries" download?
Correct, The pack hasn't been updated recently

./configure && ./jam

on a clean checkout will do the trick
MySchizoBuddy

Post by MySchizoBuddy »

Thanks that worked fine.
Will I have to do this everytime i do a checkout, or i can just do "svn up" from here on.
jxself

Post by jxself »

sr55 wrote:Correct, The pack hasn't been updated recently

./configure && ./jam

on a clean checkout will do the trick
It didn't solve it for me. I hope to be sufficiently detailed: I checked out the SVN 1415 on April 14 2008 at 6:14 PM (UTC/GMT -8 hours), using RapidSVN, issued a ./configure && ./jam followed by a make. The end is included below. The full activity log is available at http://aws.bluehome.net/handbrake.txt. I am using Xcode 3.0 on Mac OS X 10.5.2 on an 1.83GHz Intel Mac mini (Late 2006 model: http://support.apple.com/specs/macmini/ ... _2006.html) I can also post the information from System Profiler to detail everything about the machine in detail if needed. I also tried it about earlier (which would have been revision 1410 or 1411, I am not sure sorry and had the same results.)

Code: Select all

/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:6:27: error: theora/theora.h: No such file or directory
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:25: error: syntax error before ‘theora_state’
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:25: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
** BUILD FAILED **
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c: In function ‘enctheoraInit’:
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:30: error: invalid application of ‘sizeof’ to incomplete type ‘hb_work_private_t’ 
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:33: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:35: error: ‘theora_info’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:35: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:35: error: for each function it appears in.)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:35: error: syntax error before ‘ti’
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:36: error: ‘theora_comment’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:37: error: ‘ogg_packet’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:38: error: ‘ti’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:54: error: ‘OC_CS_UNSPECIFIED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:55: error: ‘OC_PF_420’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:78: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:81: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:81: error: ‘op’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:85: error: ‘tc’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:91: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c: In function ‘enctheoraWork’:
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:121: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:123: error: ‘yuv_buffer’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:123: error: syntax error before ‘yuv’
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:124: error: ‘ogg_packet’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:127: error: ‘op’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:128: error: ‘yuv’ undeclared (first use in this function)
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:154: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
/Users/jason/Desktop/handbrake/macosx/../libhb/enctheora.c:157: error: dereferencing pointer to incomplete type
dynaflash
Veteran User

Post by dynaflash »

jxself wrote:issued a ./configure && ./jam followed by a make.
er, and you "followed it with a make" because .....
Just use

./configure && ./jam
end of story. Forget about make. Thats all you need. And start out with a clean checkout.
jxself

Post by jxself »

dynaflash wrote:Just use

./configure && ./jam
end of story. Forget about make. Thats all you need. And start out with a clean checkout.
Thank you, but ./configure && ./jam doesn't result in a double-clickable HandBrake.app. (I originally followed the directions from the Compile Guide http://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/CompileGuide#macosx which says to use make after checking out the SVN (evidently that doesn't work, at least not currently.) The compile guide states that, after issuing the make command, you're supposed to end up with a double-clickable HandBrake.app.

So, if neither make nor ./configure && ./jam produce a double-clickable HandBrake.app, what does? Or am I missing something? The output of ./configure && ./jam from SVN 1423 are at http://aws.bluehome.net/jam.txt.
realityking
Veteran User

Post by realityking »

Yup, you're missing something, and that's yasm, as explained here: http://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5773
jxself

Post by jxself »

realityking wrote:yasm
Indeed. I was able to get the app built. Thank you, realityking.