Hi! I'm a Jackass poster!

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
gswhite

Hi! I'm a Jackass poster!

Post by gswhite »

I seem to be having a compile error with jam and was wondering is someone could point me in the right direction.

I get this error after fetching the latest from svn..

...failed Archive libhb/libhb.a ...
...skipped HandBrake.app for lack of libhb.a...
...failed updating 1 target(s)...
...skipped 1 target(s)...
...updated 70 target(s)...

thanks
G
jbrjake
Veteran User

Re: AC3-in-MP4

Post by jbrjake »

gswhite wrote:I seem to be having a compile error with jam and was wondering is someone could point me in the right direction
...not without knowing what the error message was. You're showing us the symptom, not the disease.
gswhite

Post by gswhite »

jbrjake wrote:
gswhite wrote:I seem to be having a compile error with jam and was wondering is someone could point me in the right direction
...not without knowing what the error message was. You're showing us the symptom, not the disease.
Ok being a liitle new at this were will i find some data that will provide you with a diagnosis?

thanks again
G
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

gswhite wrote:
jbrjake wrote:
Ok being a liitle new at this were will i find some data that will provide you with a diagnosis?
Maybe by doing what I already asked, and sharing the error message instead of selectively editing all the useful information out of the compile log? You have the whole thing, god knows why you've chosen not to share it. You're only allowing us to see that libhb failed, and not permitting us to see what component of the library failed or why. It's like you want this to take longer to solve than is necessary.

As an aside, this is why the forum is described as for *developer* discussion. All you're doing now is hijacking a thread about AC3 encoding to discuss your totally unrelated issues that are of no interest to any developers or competent testers. Posts like this are simply noise to anyone who knows what they're doing, interrupting and distracting a heretofore useful discussion. :(
gswhite

Post by gswhite »

jbrjake wrote:
gswhite wrote:
jbrjake wrote:
Maybe by doing what I already asked, and sharing the error message instead of selectively editing all the useful information out of the compile log? You have the whole thing, god knows why you've chosen not to share it. You're only allowing us to see that libhb failed, and not permitting us to see what component of the library failed or why. It's like you want this to take longer to solve than is necessary.

As an aside, this is why the forum is described as for *developer* discussion. All you're doing now is hijacking a thread about AC3 encoding to discuss your totally unrelated issues that are of no interest to any developers or competent testers. Posts like this are simply noise to anyone who knows what they're doing, interrupting and distracting a heretofore useful discussion. :(
I have a question, why are you so rude? are customers or people who use your software not important to you? after all you don't code this software just to prove your rude and clever? Surely you actually want individuals to actually use the software or do you use the development of this software to stoke your ego?

If i am in the wrong place i won't apoligise. Just tell me in a polite manor and I would have posted somewhere else, but as you asked the specific question regarding what the error was during compile I actually thought you were interested in fixing the problem not being a rude [Censored]!

So do me a favour get out more, (edit) let me be a complete jackass, tell me what I want to know, stop being a douche bag and, oh yeah, I'm a JACK-ASS!(/edit)
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

gswhite wrote:I have a question, why are you so rude?
Because I tried to take time to quickly help you without totally derailing the thread, and you refused to provide the necessary info, even after prodding, and instead prolonged the thread hijack?
are customers or people who use your software not important to you?
Not in the least. We don't have customers. It's an open source project.
after all you don't code this software just to prove your rude and clever? Surely you actually want individuals to actually use the software or do you use the development of this software to stoke your ego?
I don't give a damn if anyone uses it. I code on HB for myself, just like the other devs. When I started contributing, the project was dead and there were *zero* users. The forum was a much better place, then.
If i am in the wrong place i won't apoligise.
Wow, what a shocker. Flouting basic forum netiquette by posting in the wrong place and flouting basic forum netiquette by derailing existing threads go together like chocolate and peanut butter.
Just tell me in a polite manor and I would have posted somewhere else, but as you asked the specific question regarding what the error was during compile I actually thought you were interested in fixing the problem not being a rude [Censored]!
I was interested. Then you started boring me, when you couldn't manage to perform a simple cut and paste. It's quite tedious when users require support to come in dental form, complete with tooth-pulling.
So do me a favour get out more, have some sex get a life, it might provide you with a personality!
Err..isn't your problem that I expressed a personality instead of blandly acting like a tech support droid? "Yes sir. One moment sir. Sir, could you please tell me if you're running Windows? All right sir, I'm going to need some additional information now....can you please verify that the power cable is plugged in?" No one's getting paid for that crap.

I'll do my best to follow your advice, but getting a life might seriously delay future development ;P

EDIT: Just a note for posterity -- it's not me calling you a jackass and inserting comments in your posts in this thread, gswhite. It's one of the moderators, baggss, who decided to have some fun last night without asking first. I wouldn't have approved of doing that, but now it's done, and there's not an older backup I can revert the thread to. My apologies.
MichaelLAX

Post by MichaelLAX »

jbrjake wrote:EDIT: Just a note for posterity -- it's not me calling you a jackass and inserting comments in your posts in this thread, gswhite. It's one of the moderators, baggss, who decided to have some fun last night without asking first. I wouldn't have approved of doing that, but now it's done, and there's not an older backup I can revert the thread to. My apologies.
LOL: and you criticize me for [Censored] off the developers because I asked a question that was apparently outside of the scope that you saw to be relevent?!?

PS: I liked your English 10H paper on Divx; was well conceived and written for someone of that age.

I had a good chuckle in the early 2000's when I saw Paul Brindze and noted the irony of the fact that "DivX" had been co-opted and the purpose it was co-opted for!