State of DVD encoding

Random chit-chat and anything that doesn't belong elsewhere
baggss

Re: State of DVD encoding

Post by baggss »

What I want to get some input on is if at the point we are at today is a viable time to start doing encoding my DVDs with HandBrake.
When those HDDs die and all those digital movies are gone, you'll end up regretting selling the DVDs. Put them in storage.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

What I want to get some input on is if at the point we are at today is a viable time to start doing encoding my DVDs with HandBrake and then selling my DVDs and not end up regretting it later due to quality issues.
This is, of course, illegal and therefore an inappropriate topic for this board. Thread closed.

Rodney
baggss

Post by baggss »

rhester wrote:
What I want to get some input on is if at the point we are at today is a viable time to start doing encoding my DVDs with HandBrake and then selling my DVDs and not end up regretting it later due to quality issues.
This is, of course, illegal and therefore an inappropriate topic for this board. Thread closed.

Rodney
I think he meant sell the originals, not copies he made.
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

That's still illegal baggss
baggss

Post by baggss »

sr55 wrote:That's still illegal baggss
Really? News to me. Someone should tell that to Amazon.com and eBay.

Resealing commercial DVDs that you no longer want is a huge industry that no one seems to be making a big deal about.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

baggss wrote:

Resealing commercial DVDs that you no longer want is a huge industry that no one seems to be making a big deal about.
There's nothing illegal at all about reselling a DVD...so long as you destroy any copies you made of it prior to sale. Otherwise, it's really no different from renting from Netflix and copying everything you rent - except you're using retail channels instead of Netflix as your source.

It's the piracy aspect that's illegal, not the resale. He expressed intent to willfully and knowledgably rip them and then sell them...and that's a pretty clear cut-and-dried case of theft of intellectual property and copyright violation.

Rodney
s55
HandBrake Team

Post by s55 »

Origional post removed at original posters request.
baggss

Post by baggss »

rhester wrote:
baggss wrote:

There's nothing illegal at all about reselling a DVD...so long as you destroy any copies you made of it prior to sale. Otherwise, it's really no different from renting from Netflix and copying everything you rent - except you're using retail channels instead of Netflix as your source.

It's the piracy aspect that's illegal, not the resale. He expressed intent to willfully and knowledgably rip them and then sell them...and that's a pretty clear cut-and-dried case of theft of intellectual property and copyright violation.

Rodney
While I understand the point being made here, it seems like an odd thing to worry about on a forum dedicated to a bit of software that likely violates any number of US laws under DMCA when used properly. That being said, it is all about intent.

In the end though, my advice to put the DVDs in storage was good one, and one that would avoid any legal ramifications.
rhester
Veteran User

Post by rhester »

baggss wrote:While I understand the point being made here, it seems like an odd thing to worry about on a forum dedicated to a bit of software that likely violates any number of US laws under DMCA when used properly. That being said, it is all about intent.
I'm making a distinction between law and morality here. DMCA is overbearing and prevents well-intentioned end-users from using the product in a moral and harmless manner (i.e. conversion from one format to another for personal viewing). What the OP described is theft, period.

Rodney
baggss

Post by baggss »

rhester wrote:
baggss wrote:While I understand the point being made here, it seems like an odd thing to worry about on a forum dedicated to a bit of software that likely violates any number of US laws under DMCA when used properly. That being said, it is all about intent.
I'm making a distinction between law and morality here. DMCA is overbearing and prevents well-intentioned end-users from using the product in a moral and harmless manner (i.e. conversion from one format to another for personal viewing). What the OP described is theft, period.

Rodney
I don't disagree with you about the moral aspect of the DMCA, but it is still the law. Just because we don't like it doesn't make it any less legal no matter how "morally wrong' we may think it is. Picking and choosing which laws we choose to follow simply because we feel they are wrong is a very slippery slope. Condoning breaking one law but not the other smacks of hypocrisy.
Cavalicious

Post by Cavalicious »

<Moved>

...since the conversation has sparked a debate
jbrjake
Veteran User

Post by jbrjake »

Cavalicious wrote:<Moved>

...since the conversation has sparked a debate
...and relocking, because, last time I checked, none of us were intellectual property lawyers with expertise in digital rights and fair use doctrine. Any "debate" will be highly speculative.

I don't think the HB forum is the place for a nuanced discussion of whether CSS can be considered, today, to fall under the DMCA as a technological measure that still "effectively controls access to a work" and as far as I know, there's no one here, me included, who's qualified to say one way or the other.